Problem with my SG Special

TheDams

Reaction score
Hello all !

long time lurker, posted a loooooong time ago.
First, a little introduction : I am TheDams, French by birth, but I live in Minneapolis since 16 years.

I play guitar since a loooong time, mostly teles and SGs.

My problem:
One of my SG is a 2018 Gibson Special, the one with the ridiculously hot mini-humbuckers.

I just got a set of Tyson Tone 57’ P90 for her, BUT, they don’t fit !
Well, to be more precise, they almost fit, but it looks like the covers’ corner radius don’t match.
It seems that the Gibby‘s cavities have a slightly more rounded radius.

What are my options here ? Order Gibson covers (hoping they have rounder corners) and try to cram the pickups inside ? (I might have to file a little the baseplates’ corners ?)

Does that kind of problem rings a bell ?

Thanks for your help !

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Yes, the Gibson P-90 covers have a larger radius compared to aftermarket P-90 pup covers. If you \ try to install a Gibson P-90 cover on an aftermarket P-90, the radius of the Gibson P-90 cover may or may not fit the bobbin of the aftermarket P-90.

Pictured below is a comparison of different radius.

2004 SG Classic
Neck: Gibson P-90
Bridge: Kinman Hx Nasty 90 Heavy

full

Pictured below is a hybrid pup configuration.

2016 SG Special
Neck: Lollar P-90
Bridge: Gibson Mini Humbucker

full

The Mini Humbuckers that were in this 2016 SG Special had a lower DCR and sounded thin to my ears.

full

After experimenting with various pup configurations above, the one below is my current favorite.

1999 SG Special
Neck: Duncan Phat Cat
Bridge: Duncan JB

full

I prefer a Humbucker at the bridge position for hi gain and a single coil at the neck for cleans.

Last edited:

TheDams

Reaction score
Thanks !

I’ll get Gibson covers and will try to fit the pickups inside. If they don’t fit, I’l probably gently file (and tape to avoir metal on magnets) the baseplate corners to a rounder shape.

efstop

What the hell's wrong with you?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks !

I’ll get Gibson covers and will try to fit the pickups inside. If they don’t fit, I’l probably gently file (and tape to avoir metal on magnets) the baseplate corners to a rounder shape.
Measure the pole spacing on your Tyson Tone pickups from E to e. A lot of after market pickups have 50mm spacing, and all Gibson P-90s are 49.2mm That tiny difference means their covers won't fit a 50mm spaced pickup unless you file the outside holes. And it will look "off". If your pole spacing is 50mm, you can get 50mm spaced covers from philadelphialuthiertools.com and they are likely to be the same shape as the Gibson covers.

EDIT: I have bought several pairs of P-90 covers from Philly Luthier and never had an issue installing them on my Gibson P-90 guitars.

Last edited:

TheDams

Reaction score
Thanks efstop !

They are indeed 50mm spacing. I just ordered a set of covers form Philly Luthier ;)

TheDams

Reaction score
Yes, the Gibson P-90 covers have a larger radius compared to aftermarket P-90 pup covers. If you \ try to install a Gibson P-90 cover on an aftermarket P-90, the radius of the Gibson P-90 cover may or may not fit the bobbin of the aftermarket P-90

2016 SG Special
Neck: Lollar P-90
Bridge: Gibson Mini Humbucker

full

The Mini Humbuckers that were in this 2016 SG Special had a lower DCR and sounded thin to my ears.

Thanks. This is my config, no batwing pickguard, just a small guard (like your) with pups directly mounted on body.
It looks like the Lollar fits the cavity. I hope the Philly Luthier covers I just ordered will fit my Special's cavities.
If they do but the pups' baseplate radius don't really match, as I said a little filing should work (?).

Latest Threads