Problem with Kirk Douglas signature SG

Barabus

Reaction score
Hi does anyone know where i can get, or does anyone have a schematic wiring diagram for the Kirk Douglas SG?

I've looked on the Gibson.com and it's not listed.

My problem is only the middle position is working, i believe you should be able to combine treble and middle, middle and bridge, not sure if all 3 at once as there's not a lot of info on these guitars.

The toggle blend knob works and the volume and tone pots work but the sound is only from the middle position.

Has anyone owning this SG had this problem or would a kind soul who does have one be able to take a picture of the 3 way switch so i could see how it should be connected.

Thanks in advance for any help, i'm new to SGs
fingersx.gif

pnuggett

Reaction score
"Thanks in advance for any help, i'm new to SGs"

So is Kirk Douglas

questionman

Reaction score
Honestly, I would wire the middle pickup to either a push pull (if thats even possible) or a switch on its own.

Lucidsounds

Reaction score
I have one of these. The three position switch works like a normal neck/both/bridge selector. The middle pickup only comes in when you turn the tog pot - you can't have the middle on it's own, it has to be combined with one or both other pickups.

You can split either the neck, bridge or both by pulling the knobs, but the middle pup is always in humbucker mode.

Has yours always been like you describe, or has it just developed this fault?

Jackster

Reaction score
I have one of these. The three position switch works like a normal neck/both/bridge selector. The middle pickup only comes in when you turn the tog pot - you can't have the middle on it's own, it has to be combined with one or both other pickups.

You can split either the neck, bridge or both by pulling the knobs, but the middle pup is always in humbucker mode.

Has yours always been like you describe, or has it just developed this fault?

How do you like your Kirk Douglas?

RufusTelestrat

Reaction score
IMG_6308_zpsfde2a2bd.jpg

my former kirk douglas sig.

OK he pretty much captured the working . Forward. is foward, and you can blend in the middle by turning the switchcraft pot up (clockwise) or down (anti-clockwise).
In the middle its is all three unless you turn down the tog-pot (the gibson name for that switch volumn combo) and like the neck you can switch to bridge and turn up or down the middle. I am not sure how you are only getting the middle only unless you did not know about the tog-pot.

R

Barabus

Reaction score
Thanks Lucid and Rufus, I think I got a bit confused on what I was actually hearing. When I tap on the pickups the only one that makes a sound is the middle so I deduced the others were'nt working. I know now they are, though It is odd they don't make the normal sound of a pickup when tapped.

RufusTelestrat

Reaction score
THey are tapped coils so it might make them less microphonic to the tapping. The middle is always on just not always turned up.

Lucidsounds

Reaction score
THey are tapped coils so it might make them less microphonic to the tapping. The middle is always on just not always turned up.

^^^ This.

How do you like your Kirk Douglas?

Really like it a lot. I mainly just use the bridge pickup in humbucker mode and it's hugely powerful, very crunchy sounding. I don't tend to use the coil taps but they are there if I need them. Even the vibrola has its uses. I think this is a serious amount of guitar for what was a very reasonable price and I can see why they're now sold out. Mine arrived perfectly set-up from Nevada Music in the UK and it's a keeper.

SFK

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When will they do a Michael Douglas Flying V?

Latest Threads