Problem with Finish on 120th Anniversary Les Paul Traditional

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I don't think they'll do anything for you. It's been fine for 7 years and all of a sudden it's doing it. I'd say somethings gotten on there some how and has affected the surface.

Reactions: Wiz

Darell

Reaction score
Has the guitar been left with the strap hanging on it? Some straps, and several other materials, will do that to nitro. You might try posting this in the Luthier's section; lots of knowledge over there.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Quick glance...

It's close to a window. The wood trim panel on the wall behind the guitar is warped.

:hmm:

Looks like droplets of something did it.

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
That is absolutely heat related. I bet it is either near a heater or in sunlight that is really hot. I don't think cleaning products would produce that. Man, that is weird as I've never seen anything like that! Keep us up to date please.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I guess I can see why you might think that, but its absolutely not the case.

Cheers

Wiz
A LOT of stuff will make a nitro finish react. Often, it isn't even right away. Where that is, it could have been something on your arm or sleeve while playing it, that reacted over time.

dro

Reaction score
That is absolutely heat related. I bet it is either near a heater or in sunlight that is really hot. I don't think cleaning products would produce that. Man, that is weird as I've never seen anything like that! Keep us up to date please.
Agreed. Is that window (magnifying glass) by any chance on the west side of the building. Very possible heat from afternoon sun coming in the window. Maybe wood not completely dry when painted, then when heated to temp. I'm guessing 100 degrees F + or 37.7 C. And moisture trying to find it's way out.

Possible it is solvent trapped in the finish that wasn't allowed to flash an adequate length of time before applying more clear. Being rushed to get the job done. If a painter lets them self get pushed into hammering on the finish. All kinds of things can go wrong.

That may fall under newbe painter who doesn't have allot of experience. But what I see here looks pretty excessive. Solvent pop is usually very minute.

Could be a re-repair at factory level done by newbe. More finish stacked on top of a guitar that has already been polished. Without being properly cleaned, sanded, and cleaned.

Bottom line, in order to repair it is going to need to be taken completely off.

A good refinisher may remove layer by layer and come to a conclusion as to what the problem is.

More likely they would want to just get it done, and take it off quick.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's only the lacquer that's bubbled, or the wood underneath. We know that steam will raise a dent in wood. If moisture on the guitar got warm enough over a long enough period of time, maybe the wood itself expanded.
Never underestimate passive solar heating.

Or not, and it's destined to be a unsolved mystery.

Wiz

Reaction score
Quick glance...

It's close to a window. The wood trim panel on the wall behind the guitar is warped.

:hmm:

Looks like droplets of something did it.
The warping on the panel, is loose hanging heshan (sp?) material... that photo is taken in front of the window... the guitar hangs on the opposite wall... not in direct sunlight...

Wiz

Reaction score
Its neither near a heater (there isn't one in the room) or in direct sunlight...its as far from a window as it can be... 3 meters

Cheers

Wiz

Wiz

Reaction score
A LOT of stuff will make a nitro finish react. Often, it isn't even right away. Where that is, it could have been something on your arm or sleeve while playing it, that reacted over time.
I had no idea the finish on LPs was so fragile...as to be damaged by something you are wearing....

Cheers

Wiz

Wiz

Reaction score
Agreed. Is that window (magnifying glass) by any chance on the west side of the building. Very possible heat from afternoon sun coming in the window. Maybe wood not completely dry when painted, then when heated to temp. I'm guessing 100 degrees F + or 37.7 C. And moisture trying to find it's way out.

Possible it is solvent trapped in the finish that wasn't allowed to flash an adequate length of time before applying more clear. Being rushed to get the job done. If a painter lets them self get pushed into hammering on the finish. All kinds of things can go wrong.

That may fall under newbe painter who doesn't have allot of experience. But what I see here looks pretty excessive. Solvent pop is usually very minute.

Could be a re-repair at factory level done by newbe. More finish stacked on top of a guitar that has already been polished. Without being properly cleaned, sanded, and cleaned.

Bottom line, in order to repair it is going to need to be taken completely off.

A good refinisher may remove layer by layer and come to a conclusion as to what the problem is.

More likely they would want to just get it done, and take it off quick.
The guitar is on the other side of the room haning on the walls, and the windows are tinted...no where near direct sunlight...

cheers

Wiz

Wiz

Reaction score
I really appreciate all the help... nice place you have here....

To summarise .... no heater in the room. Not anywhere near a window.... I am absolutely certain that no chemicals have been sprayed on it.. or near it... There is only myself and my wife, and she rarely comes into the studio.. and lets put it this way... cleaning isn't her thing... LOL....

I don't play the guitar that much, and the damage isn't in a place I would feel when playing it....it could have been there a month or a year...I only noticed it because I was restringing it.

Something has reacted under the finish....rather than something coming onto the surface...

Again.. thanks for all the replies... and help.

I will report back when I hear from Gibson dealer here in Australia.

( I think, nothing will happen, and I will either have to repair it myself, or get it repaired... and I would probably leave the guitar as is for a while and see if it comes up in another spot.)

Cheers

Wiz

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you store it in the case at all? Any chance something could have gotten on the case liner, maybe came in direct contact with the guitar, and it sat in the case awhile?

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had no idea the finish on LPs was so fragile...as to be damaged by something you are wearing....

Cheers

Wiz
Not what you're wearing, but what might be on it. Nitro reacts to a lot of chemicals, rubber, silicone based cleaners, polishes, among many. Get some cleaning crap on your sleeve, play, don't wipe it down, voila.

Wiz

Reaction score
Did you store it in the case at all? Any chance something could have gotten on the case liner, maybe came in direct contact with the guitar, and it sat in the case awhile?
No .. its always been on the wall.

Cheers

Wiz

ARandall

Reaction score

Cheers

Wiz
Its one of the reasons why nitro was discontinued by many makers.....along with any of the cellulose (tortoiseshell) guards and the like. You can get reactions that quite literally melt parts away when they are sitting in the case, and stand rubber can eat through it just as easily.

Gibson is a traditionalist, and they use nitro all the way through the line as their selling point.
Of course they have significantly modified the formula so it is way less problematic than in past days

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
This is like a "Crime Scene" social game!

:rofl:

The butler did it!

And by the way... do you have a butler?
Is there a woman doctor, a long lost child in the picture?

:dunno:

Wiz

Reaction score
I got a reply from the distributor in Oz...

Wouldn't have been covered, even under the original warranty....

:shock:

thank you everyone.

I appreciate all the advice.

Cheers

Wiz

Latest Threads