Problem with Finish on 120th Anniversary Les Paul Traditional

Wiz

Reaction score
Hi

I am hoping someone can give me some advice.

I have a Les Paul Traditional,the 120th anniversary model.

I bought the guitar new (2014?) and it has hung on the wall of my studio since...only ever took it out to one gig. I have 21 other guitars in the same studio.. none of them have any issues.

I noticed yesterday, that the finish has developed quite a weird problem....It is only on the top side of the guitar (atm) its a sort of weird bubbling ....

I contaced Gibson support here in Australia, as I read on the Gibson site, that the guitar is warranted for lifetime of the original owner... only to be told that, in Australia, that doesn't apply and the warranty is only 12months......

Now, there is a chance under Australian law, that I could push this and perhaps get it repaired...

I am wondering if this is some sort of manufacturing defect.

My initial search was to try on the Gibson forums, but it just says I am banned (never registered)

Searching around for help, I came across this place....

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Wiz

Reaction score
Sorry was trying to workout how to upload.... should be there now as a link to dropbox

Cheers

Wiz

ARandall

Reaction score
No pics as yet. If you have the pics on the computer then just use the attach files/paperclip option on the bottom LHS of the typing box

The ongoing issues you'll have generally speaking are:

1. The finish generally has a very limited warranty. Especially for weather and storage related issues.
2. If you go down the court route you will be spending thousands on lawyers and court costs before you get to any degree of resolution. I'm not quite sure about this as I've never gone past just the dealer related warranty, but even if you do win I think the only compensation would be the cost of the re-fin.

Reactions: Wiz

ARandall

Reaction score
Interesting.
Where precisely is the guitar hanging in the room....as in is it near anything that might contribute to what looks like a heat bubbling (the bubbles look to be in the pores where air can expand).

Also, maybe get a shot in neutral light end on, so that we can see the extent of the issue around the body.

The issue here from a procedural point of view is that more than likely the response from Gibson (and the distributorship has changed hands since you bought yours) is that you have put your guitar up against an incompatible surface. And nitro does have a ton of these.
Even the regular warranty in the 'States for the finish is long expired time-wise.

So for mine the best thing to do is to source a local luthier/guitar builder to see what they can do to fix it, and also try a track down if there are any contributing factors in the room. I know you said you have 21 guitars, but how many of these have a nitro finish?? Most makers use poly/plastic type finish nowadays.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That looks like an allergic reaction!

Definitely a flaw in the finish. Have you sent that pic to Gibson?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this was a new instrument you might have some recourse but being seven years old the warranty doesn’t provide any for the finish..... this is directly from their gold warranty.

A4272B2A-4626-4CFE-8FD3-66CFE69C0D02.jpeg

Wiz

Reaction score
Interesting.
Where precisely is the guitar hanging in the room....as in is it near anything that might contribute to what looks like a heat bubbling (the bubbles look to be in the pores where air can expand).

Also, maybe get a shot in neutral light end on, so that we can see the extent of the issue around the body.

The issue here from a procedural point of view is that more than likely the response from Gibson (and the distributorship has changed hands since you bought yours) is that you have put your guitar up against an incompatible surface. And nitro does have a ton of these.
Even the regular warranty in the 'States for the finish is long expired time-wise.

So for mine the best thing to do is to source a local luthier/guitar builder to see what they can do to fix it, and also try a track down if there are any contributing factors in the room. I know you said you have 21 guitars, but how many of these have a nitro finish?? Most makers use poly/plastic type finish nowadays.

The guitar isn't near anything, like a heater etc....it hangs from a wall hanger.. spaced off the wall

This is my only nitro finish

I am not sure what you mean by 'neutral light'. The damage is in two places, both on the top side of the guitar as you play it.

Here are a couple of more shots.. hopefully they help...

I was more wondering (hoping) if this was a known issues with a certain run of guitars... that would give me more purchase in my argument....

I will send the photo off to Gibson Support in the USA and see....

Thanks for all the help

Cheers

Wiz

Attachments

Wiz

Reaction score
If this was a new instrument you might have some recourse but being seven years old the warranty doesn’t provide any for the finish..... this is directly from their gold warranty.

View attachment 535357
Well, there I go... that's it in black and white.... bummer...

Oh well....

thanks for all the help guys...

Cheers

Wiz

tzd

Reaction score
Omg! I've never seen anything like this before!

Contact Gibson nonetheless, it's worth a shot and you might get lucky.

Wiz

Reaction score
I have sent a letter off to Australis music in Australia (the Gibson dealer) will follow up here...

If that fails, I plan on sending the info to Gibson in USA...

Lets see how it plays out...

cheers

Wiz

Wiz

Reaction score
I’m guessing something got sprayed on that part of the guitar...cleaning product, bug spray, etc. that reacted with the finish
I guess I can see why you might think that, but its absolutely not the case.

Cheers

Wiz

Grenville

Reaction score
Probably less stress to find a local repairer and ask for a quote to fix it. Might be as simple as sanding and repolishing.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
If you have kids, a significant other, a cleaning service... whatever... it looks like something got sprayed on the guitar when you were not around.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing as the finish is already damaged, I would try wet sanding, maybe a 240 grit to level quickly, then, 600, 1200, 2000, and then a cutting compound for final polish, like meguiares ultimate compound, polish’s quickly, but doesn’t risk burn through.

it looks like contact damage to me, but you are in the dark as to how, which makes it difficult to prevent in future if the source is unknown.

Latest Threads