Probably a dumb question (semi-hollow related)

E.X

Reaction score
I (think) i know how they add the electronics in afterwards. One way at least.
But what i was wondering is whether it's possible to do all that prior to glueing the top in? Have the harness all wired and soldered, have four leads going nowhere so as to solder the pickups in the end, use tubing again so you can fish them 'up', but keep the whole harness loose inside while working on the top?

No particular reason i'm asking, was listening to BB, then thought of current ES versions and how they lack a "varitone". Then i was thinking it'd be a bitch to add one in afterwards if like me, you wanted some choice caps and selector switch, the size would be immense, you'd have to solder the caps in a flower pattern, it'd be too tall if you went about it the traditional way.
Which of course lead me to thinking that no way this could be retrofitted, you'd need to have it in from the getgo. Ergo the question.

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem is the amount of sanding, painting, and buffing that goes on before the electronics are installed.
Unless you're using sealed pots and switch, that's asking for trouble, and of course, there's no way to seal the jack contacts.

Semihollow are the main problem. There's a fair amount of room to work through the pickup openings on full-hollow.
Of course, if it's your own build and you aren't trying to be 100% faithful to an original, nothing says you can't open up the F-holes a little more to make it easier to work the pots through.

I've done pickup swaps on an Epiphone Sheraton and Ibanez AS-80.
Not fun.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've fished everything in and out of f holes many times on semi hollows. Do it often enough and you actually get good at it.
There's a difference between being good at it and enjoying it ;)

E.X

Reaction score
Appreciate it CB;

Did think about the sanding, but (image in my head) you'd .. only .. have 9 tubings extruding! You could theoretically sand just fine if you applied some care; like say scotch taping the holes tight (around the tubing) while doing the rough bits, unmasking only when you're about to do details with a fan turned on so as to kick the filings away.
That much should be doable. If not expensive of course.

Right?

* I know, but.. i start thinking something, has to get all detailed and step-by-stepped, for no reason whatsoever. Can't help it, the mind wanders, lol
(plus it occasionally drives her nuts, which is always a boon i say)

Roxy13

Reaction score
There's a difference between being good at it and enjoying it ;)
Sure, but it sucks the most the first time lol. Once I realized that my long and much skinnier pinky finger can reach all the pots everything went much smoother after that! It takes me longer to get everything fished in there than to get it in place and secure it now.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I don't even bother with the tubing except to pull the jack through as I can't reach that. I can have it all secured in a couple of minutes with that one finger.

Reactions: E.X

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, but it sucks the most the first time lol. Once I realized that my long and much skinnier pinky finger can reach all the pots everything went much smoother after that! It takes me longer to get everything fished in there than to get it in place and secure it now.
Same here.
Never messed with tubing... just monofilament and little masking tape cones.
Likewise, I can reach the pots and even the jack to keep them from rotating while snugging the nuts.

When I was changing the pickups in my buddy's AS80, he commented that I should have been a gynecologist....

20200214_205457.jpg

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yeah, I have quite a spread too like you do. Hyperextended joints?

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have quite a spread too like you do. Hyperextended joints?
Only one that I'm aware of is my thumb, I can "pop" the first joint backwards. Resting both hands flat on the table, I can lift my left thumb tip about 1/2" higher than my right.
Dad could pop his elbow backwards about 5 degrees. That was pretty freaky.

Reactions: E.X

Roxy13

Reaction score
Only one that I'm aware of is my thumb, I can "pop" the first joint backwards. Resting both hands flat on the table, I can lift my left thumb tip about 1/2" higher than my right.
Dad could pop his elbow backwards about 5 degrees. That was pretty freaky.
I can bend both thumbs backwards and turn my elbows 180 degrees!

We used to call that "double jointed". I broke a finger in college and after the x rays the doctor told me I had hyperextended joints (which first scared the crap out of me, I have WHAT?!?). She asked if I played piano and I said no, guitar.

Latest Threads