Printer recommendations?

Skeletor

Reaction score
Looking for more product insights from the Backstage collective...
Any recommendations on printers?
Or more specifically - recommend (or advise me to avoid) certain brands.

I am looking for a wide format (11x17) color machine if you want to recommend certain models
Mostly wondering if any of them are better when it comes to using aftermarket ink/toner.

I'm done with HP (unless they have upped their game in the last few years as I had all kinds of network type problems with any HP I owned in the past).
My Brother inkjet quit working today - so debating attempting to clean it or just kick it to the curb if I find a suitable/affordable replacement quickly (work project due this weekend and trying to proof drawings with no hard copy is painful)

Thanks

dspelman

Reaction score
I have constant issues with the wireless (network) printers from HP. I much prefer them wired than not. But mine have been workhorses otherwise.

If I were buying a wide format color machine, it would be an Epson P900. But it requires (sit down for this) 10 ink cartridges. Photo quality is superb. It will handle sheets *and* rolls, and it will handle individual material up to around 1.5mm. The good news about the cartridges is that they're 50ml capacity. This is an evolutionary development of the older 900 series printers, which had similar specs and very high quality output. This printer is considered the high end of the consumer grade printers.

We had an Epson that also worked with 17" rolls that was a more advanced version (or, if you prefer, the bottom of the line of the professional series printers that still crank out really wide prints) that utilized eight or nine 200ml cartridges, but over time Epson stopped supporting it and/or wanted something like $400 minimum to perform service on it.

I have no idea what the aftermarket can do for you, but I know that we experienced clogs with some aftermarket cartridges that we tried.

Skeletor

Reaction score
That particular printer is too rich for my blood, I am going to look at some of their cheaper models though.
High quality is not a need in my case. I just need to print schematics and line drawings so I can spread them across the table and do various cross checks and redlines.... then they get shredded shortly after.

dspelman

Reaction score
One more thing -- there IS the Epson P5000. Now you're talking something closer to $2K (but there's currently a $400 mail-in rebate), but this printer uses 200ml cartridges (individual). We found this definitely allows you to run a lot longer before you have to change out the ink carts. But like all new printers these days, it only gives you half-full cartridges in the box. You'll want to figure out what a full set of 10 200ml cartridges will cost you to have on hand for when one flames out. Once you start running a full set of 200ml carts, the printer is very satisfying.

There are two sets of color inks for this printer. The HDX set includes an Orange and a Green (you'll be surprised what a difference this makes) and has three levels of black for amazing quality black and white prints. The standard set substitutes a Violet cartridge for the lightest black and provides a 99% match for Pantone colors, making it great for proofing items that will be going to print.

The P900 (previous post) offers a matte black as one of the cartridges and perhaps the deepest Dmax (darkness of the black component) of the printers. Ya makes yer cherces and ya pays your money. If you're not doing color proofing for commercial work, I'd be buying the P5000 with the HDX set.

dspelman

Reaction score
I have not (for almost a decade) and would not own a printer that uses ink instead of toner.
Toner printers are a best choice if you're doing a lot of printing, if you need speed and if quality isn't an issue. I'm not sure that any of the more economical printers can handle roll papers, so your usual large size will be around 11x17.

Given the additional information that the OP presented, above, this would probably be a great choice for him.

Thing is, most of those are going to be Brother, HP or Canon brands. Most will include two-sided printing. Note that page counts on toner machines depend on a minimum percentage of coverage (same with ink jets), so capacity will be important, as well some standardization on the toner cartridges themselves.

If you were a photographer or prepress person, an ink jet is almost a must. For general business use, toner's your thing.

Last edited:

Uncle Remus

Reaction score
Wait until black Friday. Get one for about $10 more than an ink cartridge. Do it again next year.

Skeletor

Reaction score
Actually... wide format may not have been the correct lingo.
11x17 is what I need, color, & cheap...& easily available as I need it tomorrow :(
So black Friday is out

Reactions: Who

CB91710

Reaction score
I'm done with HP (unless they have upped their game in the last few years as I had all kinds of network type problems with any HP I owned in the past).
My Brother inkjet quit working today - so debating attempting to clean it or just kick it to the curb if I find a suitable/affordable replacement quickly (work project due this weekend and trying to proof drawings with no hard copy is painful)
Wow... MY experience is just the opposite.
Right now I have an HP M477fnw (color laser) and I've had absolutely no problems with it.
My last one was an Officejet 6700... had no problems at all with it other than typical inkjet cartridge issues, but that's more related to light usage, the ink was probably just drying out.
But I never had any issues with the scanner, and the only time I've had network issues was when running it on WiFi. It always worked fine when plugged into the router, and the only issues that I had were with the scanner software, the printer would always connect.

But needing 11x17 really does limit your options.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
I've got a Brother. I'm pretty sure it's defective because the thing is super fucking finicky and shits the bed if you so much as nudge the power cable.

If I was going to buy a new printer right now it would be an Epson P400. I've heard great things, it can even print on illustration board.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I can't help you with 11x17, sorry.

But, I've been using Brother printers for many years. We had a couple of nice MFC inkjests, but went with lasers about 5 years ago. In fact, I just replaced that original laser with an MFC3770. It's been stellar running wifi with 4 computers in the house and even phones & tablets print directly to it wirelessly. Net - I've had great success with Brothers.

I never had any luck with HP or Canon.

Skeletor

Reaction score
Wow... MY experience is just the opposite.
Right now I have an HP M477fnw (color laser) and I've had absolutely no problems with it.
My last one was an Officejet 6700... had no problems at all with it other than typical inkjet cartridge issues, but that's more related to light usage, the ink was probably just drying out.
But I never had any issues with the scanner, and the only time I've had network issues was when running it on WiFi. It always worked fine when plugged into the router, and the only issues that I had were with the scanner software, the printer would always connect.

But needing 11x17 really does limit your options.
Mine is wired network but I have it in the corner of my basement... so when it does have network issues I am running up and down the stairs fighting the damn thing. HP were (for me) the worst in this regard.

dspelman

Reaction score
If I was going to buy a new printer right now it would be an Epson P400. I've heard great things, it can even print on illustration board.
I want one of those inkjets that can print on a cake.

Um. You know how some people around the office print copies of their butts using the office copier? Well...

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
most times you'll have to use the manual bypass tray for 11x17 ledger type. I have a laserjet 500 color and when I need to print out that size that's what I have to do. I'm amazed, that printer is about 7yrs old, and still going ok. I got it from work, was the former CFO's and he used it a TON. Before the company imploded I had ordered 2 full sets of toner and a waste toner box (that shuts the whole thing down when it's full). Still got em!

But yeah, if you want a printer with an actual 11x17 tray, vs. having the 'ability' to print a sheet here and there via a manual feed, gonna have to get an MFP thing which will be cost prohibitive imho for the house.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Actually... wide format may not have been the correct lingo.
11x17 is what I need, color, & cheap...& easily available as I need it tomorrow :(
So black Friday is out
No question I would buy this one, or the model above, except that whole “by tomorrow” might just be a challenge. Does up to 13x19

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/pixma-pro-100

edit: But a laser printer would actually be infinitely better for what you want to do, and it will pay for itself over time in cheaper toner pricing (if it doesn’t fail)

perhaps you can find an old drafting printer locally? Sometimes those pop up cheap when people need them gone.

kinkos and Fedex can also do “draft” quality prints in that size no sweat if you time out.

And finally this little piece of crap is cheap and does what you want- which I’m sure is why it’s still around.
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer

Last edited:

fry

Reaction score
I’ve never had a printer that wasn’t a complete piece of shit. I’ve also never had one that I had to freaking finance, so maybe that’s part of it. Printers and windshield wipers are the two things at the top of my list that have yet to be perfected in the year 2020.

Skeletor

Reaction score
No question I would buy this one, or the model above, except that whole “by tomorrow” might just be a challenge. Does up to 13x19

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/pixma-pro-100

edit: But a laser printer would actually be infinitely better for what you want to do, and it will pay for itself over time in cheaper toner pricing (if it doesn’t fail)

perhaps you can find an old drafting printer locally? Sometimes those pop up cheap when people need them gone.

kinkos and Fedex can also do “draft” quality prints in that size no sweat if you time out.

And finally this little piece of crap is cheap and does what you want- which I’m sure is why it’s still around.
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer
That HP looks to be about the same quality level as the Brother I currently have... so I may have a look at it.

Ordered a cleaning kit for mine - will see if I can squeeze a few more projects out of it or if I scrap it

Latest Threads