Price premium for CS LP Custom over USA Custom?

pillbug

Reaction score
Looking at a 2003 CS LP Custom. All else being equal (color, condition, case and goodies, etc.) what’s the difference dollar wise vs a USA non-CS Custom?

and did these have ebony or Richlite boards?

thanks

frater106

Reaction score
A new Gibson Les Paul Custom in black is $4,699. A Gibson Custom Shop '68 Les Paul Custom Ultra Light Murphy Aged in black will run you 6,299. So, the Custom Shop model is about 34% more expensive then the standard U.S. made edition.

chef

Reaction score
2003 should still be Ebony, because my 2006 still was. richlite came later and I think only for a few years.

Are you talking about a "modern spec" custom, e.g. 490/498, ebony etc or a historical custom shop custom such as the '68 mentioned above?

I bought my custom second hand as a player for about half of retail at the time. It is a very nice player and quality is high, on par with other Gibsons I've played. Stays in tune better than any of my guitars.

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dollar wise I'd say there isn't any difference.
(If we're talking regular Customs, not '57-'68 Reissues).

Mid 2000's will be advertised as being made in the Custom Shop.
90's will be claimed to be good wood era or some voodoo.
80's are under the Norlin hype spell.
And anything prior to that is somehow vintage now.

See where I'm going with this?

pillbug

Reaction score
2003 should still be Ebony, because my 2006 still was. richlite came later and I think only for a few years.

Are you talking about a "modern spec" custom, e.g. 490/498, ebony etc or a historical custom shop custom such as the '68 mentioned above?

I bought my custom second hand as a player for about half of retail at the time. It is a very nice player and quality is high, on par with other Gibsons I've played. Stays in tune better than any of my guitars.
I’m talking about an ebony custom, not a reissue of any kind. Thanks

pillbug

Reaction score
Dollar wise I'd say there isn't any difference.
(If we're talking regular Customs, not '57-'68 Reissues).

Mid 2000's will be advertised as being made in the Custom Shop.
90's will be claimed to be good wood era or some voodoo.
80's are under the Norlin hype spell.
And anything prior to that is somehow vintage now.

See where I'm going with this?
So there are no ealy/mid-2000s non CS USA Customs, only CS customs?

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

They moved the regular Custom production to the separate Custom Shop in the early/mid-2000s, I don't know the exact year that happened. It also might've been the year they started coming with COA even though they weren't reissues.

pillbug

Reaction score
They moved the regular Custom production to the separate Custom Shop in the early/mid-2000s, I don't know the exact year that happened. It also might've been the year they started coming with COA even though they weren't reissues.
Thanks, didn’t know that.

GT1

Reaction score
Are there used and lower priced richlite fret board custom shop LP Customs out there? I haven't seen any

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, didn’t know that.

According to this article, the Nashville Custom Shop moved to a different facility in 2006.
So this should be the year the regular Customs started being produced at the new Custom Shop facility and thus coming with a COA.

Are there used and lower priced richlite fret board custom shop LP Customs out there? I haven't seen any

I honestly can't tell how much richlite fretboards impact prices.

I think the richlite years are roughly 2012-2018, so have a go at Reverb ;)

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
A new Gibson Les Paul Custom in black is $4,699. A Gibson Custom Shop '68 Les Paul Custom Ultra Light Murphy Aged in black will run you 6,299. So, the Custom Shop model is about 34% more expensive then the standard U.S. made edition.

Incorrect. Since around 2006, all customs have been made at the custom shop. As a result, the prices for new customs shot up quite a bit around that time.

There are non CS customs until around 2006. Not sure if there was a gradual changeover or if they just stopped making USA customs one day and started making CS customs the next.

A good way to tell is that regular customs made in the CS will have the CS stamp on the back of the headstock. Non CS customs and reissue customs (for the most part) won't have these. A CS made custom should also have an ink stamped serial number.

In terms of price premium, there isn't really one. The value of the non CS customs climbed with the price hike the CS customs brought. They are the same guitars and (until 2019(?)), were identical in construction.

As always, condition is key. CS customs should come with a nicer case and may come with a medallion, which can increase the value a bit. A lot of them have richlite fretboards, which are excellent functionally, but can bring the value down compared to one with an ebony board.

I have three customs.
2002 non CS, bought used.
2014 CS richlite board, bought used.
2019 55 reissue. Bought new.

The reissue was obviously the most expensive, but I paid about 500 more for the non CS than I did for the CS. Despite the CS having a nicer case, the medallion and being made in the CS, that richlite board is an excellent bargaining tool to bring the price down.

Last edited:

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Quick snap showing the back of the headstocks. Easy to tell which is which.

m4jd37B.jpeg

Tim Plains

Reaction score
CS vs USA. They're worth the same to me but the CS would likely be slightly easier sell.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Is there an actual difference in build quality or workmanship between the USA and the CS models? Specs seem to be near identical (9 hole weight relief, 498T/490R pickups, ebony board etc.) and they’re usually listed for similar prices on the used market.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Is there an actual difference in build quality or workmanship between the USA and the CS models? Specs seem to be near identical (9 hole weight relief, 498T/490R pickups, ebony board etc.) and they’re usually listed for similar prices on the used market.

No. Richlite years aside, they're identical until about 2019/2020?

I don't know exactly when, but they changed to long neck tenon a year or so ago.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
No. Richlite years aside, they're identical until about 2019/2020?

I don't know exactly when, but they changed to long neck tenon a year or so ago.
Good to know. Guess the move to the custom shop was more for the added title of calling it a CS guitar. Nice to see they’re doing long neck tenons now.

Latest Threads