Prewired Wiring harness advice for Les Paul Standard PP

BlueCajun

Reaction score
Go with James at ReWind if you want it done perfectly the first time around. I'm sure others could too, but James has done it for me several times and I'm pretty picky.

I know pots are pots, but I have played some prewired kits that just felt like trash - even though supposedly using quality components.

If I were you, I'd ask James for a vintage taper harness with some kind of PIO caps. It should help quite a bit with brightness and provide you a lot of dynamic on tap throughout the taper of the volume knob. This will be even more noticeable if you pop in a decent set of PAF type pickups.

I personally would recommend a set of older Burstbuckers if you want gritty/ratty/warm humbucker tones for cheap. Your wallet and tastes point the direction here. James could certainly knock this out of the park, too. There are so many good winders out there at almost every price point. I'm a huge vintage and boutique pickup fan and I'm really enjoying a set of Duncans that sound REALLY good.
+1. I've bought two wiring harnesses from James, one for a LP and another for an SG. His attention to detail in constructing his wiring harnesses is as high as that of his pickups. And he uses high quality components for everything. For example, I forget exactly which specific CTS pots he uses, but they're super smooth...like butter.

I'm sure there are other vendors who make solid harnesses as well. But I've had such great experiences with James, that I don't know if I'll go anywhere else.

Orange Lester

Reaction score
I went with the wiring harness from Toneman..The 59.. Just got my guitar back . Had nut installed, wiring harness installed. I left the Burstbucker Pros in the guitar, It sounds f'ing awesome. I'm very happy with the purchase. Thanks to all of you for the advice. This LP has come alive.

-peace

moreles

Reaction score
Unless you know what specific taper and value you want for your pots, and unless you know what value you want for your tone caps, buying a prewired harness us not necessarily going to get you what you want (though in the case of the OP, it will clear out all those extra stock switching features you don't use). What one player likes for their guitar and pickups and rig might not be good for you. It is rare that I just buy 4 pots and some caps, wire up, and am perfectly satisfied with the result -- and I know what I'm doing. It's the next set of changes that really dials it in for me. And as for pot tapers, good luck. Most, even the ones with appealing ads, are not good in terms of taper, though they "work." If you don't mind settling for generic, a drop in harness will do it. Since it's so easy to do your own wiring, I would put in a little time, learn, and get a much better result.

Angus Blackmore

Reaction score
I went with the wiring harness from Toneman..The 59.. Just got my guitar back . Had nut installed, wiring harness installed. I left the Burstbucker Pros in the guitar, It sounds f'ing awesome. I'm very happy with the purchase. Thanks to all of you for the advice. This LP has come alive.

-peace
hi there. Could you please describe the ‘before’ and ‘after’ difference in tone, and to what you atribute this difference? Also, do you think the stock wires give out darker
/ muddier tone? Thanks!

Orange Lester

Reaction score
Before...the guitar sounded like there was a blanket over the amp if that makes any sense. A bit dull, shimmer and bloom lacking. I attribute the difference to the caps and pots in the harness and the 50s wiring scheme. It literally doesnt sound like the same guitar. Now, it just sings, more articulate but not ice picky. I recommend highly.