Prewired Wiring harness advice for Les Paul Standard PP

Orange Lester

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Les Paul Standard Premium Plus that I purchased new, and I have been playing it for several years. Its stock. It currently has the modern wiring harness. I dont use the Coil split, or the blow switch. I have another Les Paul that has Greenie pickups for that Out of Phase tone. So, that said....

I'm looking to go with a 50's wiring. I have another set of Gibson pickups that I might use as part of the refit. Price is definitely a consideration on the harness.

I'd be interested in hearing about experiences/results from your purchases from the vendors here.

Thanks for your perspectives in advance.

-Orange

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Go with James at ReWind if you want it done perfectly the first time around. I'm sure others could too, but James has done it for me several times and I'm pretty picky.

I know pots are pots, but I have played some prewired kits that just felt like trash - even though supposedly using quality components.

If I were you, I'd ask James for a vintage taper harness with some kind of PIO caps. It should help quite a bit with brightness and provide you a lot of dynamic on tap throughout the taper of the volume knob. This will be even more noticeable if you pop in a decent set of PAF type pickups.

I personally would recommend a set of older Burstbuckers if you want gritty/ratty/warm humbucker tones for cheap. Your wallet and tastes point the direction here. James could certainly knock this out of the park, too. There are so many good winders out there at almost every price point. I'm a huge vintage and boutique pickup fan and I'm really enjoying a set of Duncans that sound REALLY good.

sk8rat

Reaction score
I have an emerson 50's harness in my lp. It's better than the original modern harness but I don't really like their pots that much. when turning the knob I can feel friction as opposed to most pots that are totally smooth when turning the knob. works fine though and it was fairly inexpensive. I think it was $89.

I have a 50's harness in my 339 with vitamin q's and I prefer it over the emerson harness. it was already in the guitar when I bought it though.

as long as quality parts are used and the person building/installing it isn't totally incompetent you really cant go too wrong. it's also totally unnecessary to spend hundreds for a harness.

if youre on a budget id suggest talking a look at these. I considered buying from him before I got the emerson harness. build quality looks good, theyre cheap and he has nothing but good reviews on reverb.
https://reverb.com/item/15051704-gibson-les-paul-50s-wiring-harness-vintage-022-015-pio-tone-caps-long-shaft-pots

Last edited:

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
I know this doesn't answer the question, but...for the price of a wiring harness, you could buy a nice soldering station, learn a little, and never pay again.
Like Dad used to say...
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for one night.
LIGHT a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
Or something like that.

vklobucar

Reaction score
Agreed!

No disrespect towards wiring vendors but I have been making my own for decades.

Quality CTS Audio Taper 500K pots and good PIO caps (I buy mine from ebay sellers who carry former Soviet era NOS PIO) can be purchased cheap enough as well as some decent 18AWG grounding wire.

A spool of braided wire and some decent Switchcraft switches and 1/4" jacks and you are set!

Soldering is NOT rocket science but simply takes some practice.

Orange Lester

Reaction score
I know this doesn't answer the question, but...for the price of a wiring harness, you could buy a nice soldering station, learn a little, and never pay again.
Like Dad used to say...
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for one night.
LIGHT a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
Or something like that.
Dont have the time or the inclination. Futzing with wiring and hot solder as an amateur in the proximity of a $3000 guitar doesnt strike me as a golden learning opportunity. I do my own setups, and thats enough for me. I wont be going near the guitar with a soldering iron. Thanks for sharing.

Love to hear other vendor suggestions. I will definately check out those mentioned so far

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
Well, bear in mind you are still going to be soldering the switch and pickups to the harness. If you are replacing the switch and jack as well you have to solder those, too. So your pre-made harness saves some time and soldering but only about half of it if you are keeping your current jack and switch.

That being said I have talked to a couple lately on making harnesses to save me a little wear and tear on my wrist. That might sound funny but go through the motions with your dominant hand on making a harness and how many times you move that hand and rotate that wrist. It adds up! Each time you pick up components, the soldering iron, something to hold wires into place while you solder, putting the iron back into it's stand, pre-tinning, etc.

jlee

Reaction score
Jackson Electronic Luthier on Reverb makes a variety of harnesses with CTS or VIPots at a great price. Vit Q harnesses are a bit more, but less than what most boutique harness guys are charging. He also offers Orange Drops at a lower price point.

ARandall

Reaction score
Prewired kits only cut your soldering down to half the joins needed, but for the amateur some of them are the harder ones.....braid to back of pot.

Lungo

Reaction score
If price is a consideration, then I'd suggest buying or borrowing a soldering station and simply re position the capacitors to 50's specs. That may do the trick for you without buying anything else.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Jackson Electronic Luthier on Reverb makes a variety of harnesses with CTS or VIPots at a great price. Vit Q harnesses are a bit more, but less than what most boutique harness guys are charging. He also offers Orange Drops at a lower price point.
He was one I talked to last week. His prices are good. I paid $40 for 4 of the VIPots so if you look at that and then the prices on his harnesses, I'd have to say his a great deal.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Go with James at ReWind if you want it done perfectly the first time around. I'm sure others could too, but James has done it for me several times and I'm pretty picky.

I know pots are pots, but I have played some prewired kits that just felt like trash - even though supposedly using quality components.

If I were you, I'd ask James for a vintage taper harness with some kind of PIO caps. It should help quite a bit with brightness and provide you a lot of dynamic on tap throughout the taper of the volume knob. This will be even more noticeable if you pop in a decent set of PAF type pickups.

I personally would recommend a set of older Burstbuckers if you want gritty/ratty/warm humbucker tones for cheap. Your wallet and tastes point the direction here. James could certainly knock this out of the park, too. There are so many good winders out there at almost every price point. I'm a huge vintage and boutique pickup fan and I'm really enjoying a set of Duncans that sound REALLY good.
@cooljuk is where to go. I bought pots and caps from him to do my own upgrade. Give him a call. He is great at answering all of your questions and explaining everything in excruciating detail if you'd like. :)

If price is a consideration, then I'd suggest buying or borrowing a soldering station and simply re position the capacitors to 50's specs. That may do the trick for you without buying anything else.
This is also a viable inexpensive option. Quite simple really.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
You guys are too kind!

I'm always happy to help, if I can.

I'm on the top-end components/construction/service side of the spectrum but if you're after a budget fix, you can always move the cap legs over, like Lungo said. If you can solder, it's a free mod that takes just a couple minutes.

jlee

Reaction score
Just re-wired my 2 80s Tokai LSs with VIPots. Had Creamtone harnesses prior, with drifted Sprague Bees.

Big improvement over the CTS vintage taper pots. Much clearer rolling down the volume and opened things up on “10” as well. Really nice taper if you’re after vintage taper. Made some amazing sounding guitars even better.

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
Buy the good stuff from folks like James and MSSC and there are others here as well that sell great quality stuff. I totally get not wanting to learn to solder especially on high dollar guitars.

Rozman62

Reaction score
I have bought 3 harnesses from Toneman and are excellent. Many like Jonesy as well. He does post on some forums and has some you tube vids on his work.