Pretty sure this one is fake

Inside Guy

I am no longer @ Gibson
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The headstock is legit for an older paul, but I dont think that headstock pic is from the same guitar as the body shots.

starscream

Reaction score
The pots look a little off to me. I wish there were more pics though to be sure.

hrfdez

Reaction score
I will like to see the back so we can see if the Official Chinese Serial Number is in place.

My investigatory skills are telling me that something smells like a dead skunk on this one:laugh2:

King Loudness

Reaction score
That logo is really weird, but it doesn't look like a typical Chibson... it's possible it's real but I'm seeing red flags pop up like crazy when I look at that headstock. The actual shape is correct for something that is vintage, but I've never seen a Gibson logo like that...

W.

hrfdez

Reaction score
Plus, that is a lame description for a guitar like that. I want more meat on that bone:thumb:

Birdseyeview

Reaction score
The headstock photo is distorted, that being said, the shape is fine. The bridge and TP are correct. The nibs are there. My bet is real. Like others have said, I want more meat on the bone. Show me the inside of the wiring cavity, and the serial #!!!!!!

Insanegoldfish

Reaction score
Metric bridge or is it just me? I'm not sure that the picture distorted the headstock that much. But then again, I'm not a fake LP expert.

mitch_s2

Reaction score
If you look at the angle of the Tone knobs to the top.

As far as a I know all the the knobs should be 100% perpendicular to the back of the guitar. In that picture they look to angle with the carved top.
I've played a few Chinese Knockoff's and that is one thing that has been common.

Juanjay24

Reaction score
Yeah I haven't flagged it yet but there have been some fakes showing up at my buddy's pawn shop so I was just double checking. I also agree typically people with nice guitars do a better job describing them.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
It's not vintage. The pristine condition of the headstock coupled with a Fifties shape point to someone fudging the facts on a real Les Paul ... maybe selling a RI as vintage. Guitar might be real, but seller ain't. Avoid.

Insanegoldfish

Reaction score
That logo is really weird, but it doesn't look like a typical Chibson... it's possible it's real but I'm seeing red flags pop up like crazy when I look at that headstock. The actual shape is correct for something that is vintage, but I've never seen a Gibson logo like that...

W.

Agreed. I noticed that as well when I took a second look after I posted. Between that and the bridge being metric....it's starting to scream fake to me. Though I'm fairly new to the LP family, I've played many Gibson acoustics over the years, and I've never seen the font look like that...:shock:

jadslash

Reaction score
Not really sure.. but it might be a japan copy
With a refinished headstock.
If it was vintage, he should probably have more info on it.
Bridge aint metric though...

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
That bridge's posts don't look like slotted metrics, guys.

It's not vintage, that is for sure.

Looks like a Japanese LP.

p90fool

Reaction score
People don't sell a "Gibson Les Paul" any more, they'll say if it's a Standard, a Traditional, an Historic etc. It's like saying "Wow, a Fender Stratocaster!" It's a phrase used by people who've never owned one, let alone sold them.

It's either a fake or a scam.

jbash

Reaction score
Looks like an Orville/Epiphone Japan that someone put a poorly done Gibson logo on.

Probably a very nice guitar.

politenessman

Reaction score
it has nibs - legit. would like to see the back of the headstock, tho.

jbash

Reaction score
The are plenty of MIJ Les Pauls that had nibs too.

The top does not look right. It looks too glossy, like poly.

jeffy

Reaction score
I'd ask for some better pictures. One of the whole guitar and one that shows off the back of serial number. I'd also ask the seller what they mean by 'Vintage'. It's not vintage in respect to Gibson but the seller might just mean it's older then 10 years. Or they meant it's a reissue. The seller really doesn't know how write an ad and/or doesn't know a lot about the guitar other then the basics. Though depending on how they reply, you should be able to feel out the seller better.

Latest Threads