Premium Vintage Les Paul Upgrade Wiring Kit

LickHunter

Reaction score
As mentioned before i have a 2012 standrard with coil splitting issue which Gibson has agreed to fix.

Since having this issue i have seriously debated on gutting the whole electrics and upgrading with vintage spec wirring kit.

I have ordered a set of Slash Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups. :slash:

They have the 4 conductor wire setup (for i was going to install into the 2012 electric).

If i change to the Vintage electrics will the 4 wire setup be a issue or will i only use two wires and just not hook up the other two?

I am thinking to go with the same Capacitors as "Kris Derrig" used on the 59 replica that Slash uses.

BUT the kit comes with Luxe .022 Repro bumble bee Capacitors: These are handmade to authentic 1956-60 Les Paul specification.

Which capacitors are better?

the upgrade kit included:

(4) CTS 500k Long Shaft Pots: These are the highest quality, split-short shaft, audio taper potentiometers from CTS. They are matched to within 1% tolerance of each other and are tested and guaranteed to be at least 500k. Solid brass shaft and bushing for durability. 3/8-32 US thread, 3/4" bushing height, split-knurled shaft, and 3/8" shaft length, vintage audio taper, and real Bakelite base plate.

(2) Luxe .022 Repro Capacitors: These are handmade to authentic 1956-60 Les Paul specification. The best paper-in-oil tone cap available for authentic 50's Gibson tone and appearance!

(4') Vintage-Spec Braided Shield Wire: This is genuine 22 gauge braided shield wire. You get 4' of wire, plenty to fully wire a Les Paul. Made by the same company that made it for Gibson in the 50's.

(1) Switchcraft Jack: Switchcraft is widely known as the finest input/output 1/4" jack available.

(1) Switchcraft 3-Way Toggle Switch: Standard "long straight" toggle switch. Switchcraft "L-type" angled toggle can be substituted upon request. Fits Gibson USA guitars (not Epiphones)

(1') 20 Gauge Buss Wire: Hard to obtain genuine silver-plated 20 gauge solid copper buss wire for grounding the pots like the originals.

Does anyone have experince with any of this ??
The kit cost just under $150 AUS Dollars

Funkwire

Reaction score
<Puts flame suit on>

You're not going to notice much difference between caps. Some difference, sure. But enough to justify the price difference between PIO and Orange Drops? IMO, no. BUT...it's your guitar, and the only opinion that matters is yours.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Get a hold of Matt at MartinSixStringCustoms and talk with him about this kit:
https://www.martinsixstringcustoms.com/store/prewired-guitar-electronics-harnesses/prewired-les-paula-dual-coil-split-harness/prod_125.html

If you're getting 4 wire pups, you might as well coil split.

I used this harness in my LP. I installed 4 wire Seth Lover pups using this kit. Matt was great to work with and the kit is great! It was an easy self-install.

Plus, you can customize the caps to whatever you want. Matt will build it for you the way that you want it built.

LickHunter

Reaction score
Get a hold of Matt at MartinSixStringCustoms and talk with him about this kit:
https://www.martinsixstringcustoms....s-paula-dual-coil-split-harness/prod_125.html

If you're getting 4 wire pups, you might as well coil split.

I used this harness in my LP. I installed 4 wire Seth Lover pups using this kit. Matt was great to work with and the kit is great! It was an easy self-install.

Plus, you can customize the caps to whatever you want. Matt will build it for you the way that you want it built.

I have looked at his site, thanks... i will send him a email and see what he recomends.

Cheers again :thumb:

Reaction score
I think as long you get warmer pups, you'll be okay because the Standard is pretty bright. You can easily put the 4 wire pups in a regular 50s wiring config. And I certainly don't have any problem with any of the MSSC products if you want the coil taps. I don't see the caps as the dealbreaker for any set up you decide on. Any config you choose will be a huge leap from the factory specs you thought you would have when got the guitar.

LickHunter

Reaction score
I think as long you get warmer pups, you'll be okay because the Standard is pretty bright. You can easily put the 4 wire pups in a regular 50s wiring config. And I certainly don't have any problem with any of the MSSC products if you want the coil taps. I don't see the caps as the dealbreaker for any set up you decide on. Any config you choose will be a huge leap from the factory specs you thought you would have when got the guitar.

Hi dude... not sure what or who "MSSC products" are ??

I'm thinking now to have a wire setup custom made to vintage specs with coil tap mode if possible?

still wanting to know which capacitors would suit best or are better?

still doing my research, i appreciate your imput :thumb:

LickHunter

Reaction score
<Puts flame suit on>

You're not going to notice much difference between caps. Some difference, sure. But enough to justify the price difference between PIO and Orange Drops? IMO, no. BUT...it's your guitar, and the only opinion that matters is yours.

If there is any differnce i would go with the better capacitor?

The kit comes with bumble bee capacitor's but i can buy orange drops for $10 each. Not a big cost for tone i feel.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
MSSC = MartinSixStringCustoms :)

BumbleBee's (or replica's) are fine. Be more concerned with the values of the caps, not who makes them, or what they are made from. The NOS PIO (paper in oil) K40Y-9's caps are fine, too.

I'd suggest values of .022 for the bridge and .015 for the neck. Matt will set you straight.

Joining the list of folks waiting to be tar & feathered: Exotic caps are overrated.

p90fool

Reaction score
SECONDED. You will never notice the difference unless you actually use the tone knob.

It makes no difference even if you do. Only the value matters, the frequencies which pass THROUGH the cap are shunted to ground, ie; out of the audio path.

Saying you can HEAR the difference between two caps of the same measured value is like saying you can hear the quality of your bridge ground wire.

Plenty of fantasists (and bullshit salesmen) will tell you they can hear a difference, but amongst audio engineers it's called "Faith-based Electronics".

Reaction score
You have some great advice here. Get with Martin Six String Customs and see what they have to say.

Keep us updated.

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
It makes no difference even if you do. Only the value matters, the frequencies which pass THROUGH the cap are shunted to ground, ie; out of the audio path.

Saying you can HEAR the difference between two caps of the same measured value is like saying you can hear the quality of your bridge ground wire.

Plenty of fantasists (and bullshit salesmen) will tell you they can hear a difference, but amongst audio engineers it's called "Faith-based Electronics".

Really, values matter more in this case.

Now, PIO vs orange drop... difference? well... voodoo. and money. thats it.

But ultimately, if you want that vintage vibe/look under the hood, go for it. Im just speaking as far as functionality is concerned.

Exactly what I'm saying!

:D

Latest Threads