Prehistoric Gibson Logo - What is going on here?

Michael M.

Reaction score
Hello,
Newbie Michael here. I have played a Les Paul Special for years but looking to buy my first arch top.
Lately I have been obsessed with an expensive 1986 Prehistoric Goldtop in a local shop. I am obsessed because it feels so much better to me than the Standards 50s & 60s I felt at Guitar Center (maybe neck shape [I have read the prehistoric was a medium C like the Standards of the day] - maybe set up - maybe both). Anyway, I'll sit down and start another post on that Goldtop (looking for advice on what to buy that is more affordable but feels similar).

Ok enough rambling . . . for this post . . . who can shed light on these weird decal looking Gibson logos? My research has led me to understand that some prehistorics have this time have a missing "i" dot (like Slash's prehistoric goldtop) and some have the dot. Of the ones that have the dot (including this goldtop) have this weird decal like outline.

When I first saw it I assumed the headstock was refinished but then I found other prehistorics with the exact same look.
Can any one shed light on what was going on? Did Gibson use stickers for some reason on these?

Just curious,
Thanks,
Michael M.

Attachments

Roxy13

Reaction score
Looks to me like the clearcoat is cracking on the headstock. Notice it seems to be happening around the tuners as well.

The mother of pearl inlay is installed as one block into the holly veneer. And with time the finish starts to crack around it.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Roxy is correct..... the inlay is produced in manner that makes installation in the veneer easier and less time consuming.... the outline is visible and becomes more so when the nitro settles into the seem giving the impression it’s standing proud. Different years will show different outlines as different vendors produce these inlays over the years.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Gibson would make the hole for the inlay much bigger than it had to be. They’d fill in the gap around the logo with black filler that would shrink over time. That’s where that decal look comes from.

JMP

Reaction score
Off topic. If you really like the locally available prehistoric, you should but it. You won’t regret it!

Latest Threads