Preferred glue for putting in various nuts?

Tennessee

Reaction score
When I first started building, I replaced nuts by super gluing them down. Then, one day one came back when the owner broke the nut. I soon found out why they use the word "super" in super glue. Especially on Fender style necks, with the small shoulder between the nut and headstock, it's nasty. Since then I have moved on to Titebond III. Esentially a wood glue, it's also good for other surfaces such as bone and even nylon, as long as a slight roughness to the bottom of the nut is there. And it makes getting the nut out a lot easier later on, plus has less squeeze-out, in my experience. It's also waterproof, at least the III style, and dries a dark brown.

Thoughts?

mdr40z

Reaction score
duco green is what I usually use, with Fender I use just a tiny drop or two 62465

stmfitr636

Reaction score
I don't glue my nuts in on my acoustics. I fit them tight in the slot. Friction and the strings hold them in place quite securely.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Regular titebond or PVA glue for bone nuts. CA grabs too fast...no positioning time, also squeeze out is nasty.

gator payne

Reaction score
Two small drops(through a small capilary nozzle, 1/4" in from each side) of Starbond Medium/thick CA. Will not set for 30-40 seconds

EagleOnyx

Reaction score
I use elmers school glue. The string tension holds it in place and the glue just prevents it from falling out when the strings are off.

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I use elmers school glue. The string tension holds it in place and the glue just prevents it from falling out when the strings are off.

Been using it for a long time for this purpose. Wouldn't think about another alternative.

TKOjams

Reaction score
...titebond user here, one small drop and good to go.

stratphobic

Reaction score
i use elmer's glue all. i wouldn't ever think of using anything stronger.

gator payne

Reaction score
i use elmer's glue all. i wouldn't ever think of using anything stronger.

Just out of curiosity why? You seem to have a lot of conviction in your statement! So that got me curious as t what you feel is wrong with a couple drops of stronger glue.

I do have a motive behind my question. And so that you don’t get the wrong idea I will lay it out.

The only reason for gluing a nut down is to avoid chasing a loose nut on a string change. It does not require more the two tiny dots of any glue you want to use. It does not matter if it is a really high tensile strength glue CA or a low tensile like muscling. It is only there to hold the nut in place when ther is no string tension.

When we get ready to remove a nut that has been glued in place, no matter what glue was used if done right all you need to do is lightly tap on the nut with a dead blow hammer and it should come out with very! very! little wood fiber tear out if any at all.

So the only reason anyone should ever have any objection to high tensile strength or low tensile strength glue for this task is if they tend to use too much glue. All that is ever desired is two tiny pin tip drops of whatever glue you want to use.

In common bar room english: "If you are worried about using too strong of glue on your nuts your usinging too much in the first place."

dougk

Reaction score
I really like Loctite's thick super glue. Just a couple drops for my necks (gibson'esque mounting so there's nothing behind the nut to hold it in place). I want the thing ON there so when I slot it, it doesn't knock loose.

Just 2 drops on the base and one on the end of the FB. If I have to pull it, a light tap with a dowel and a deadblow knocks it right off.

Full_Stack

Reaction score
I use whatever is handy in moderation. It's usually Titebond or Elmer's...just a few drops is plenty.

stratphobic

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity why? You seem to have a lot of conviction in your statement! So that got me curious as t what you feel is wrong with a couple drops of stronger glue.

I do have a motive behind my question. And so that you don’t get the wrong idea I will lay it out.

The only reason for gluing a nut down is to avoid chasing a loose nut on a string change. It does not require more the two tiny dots of any glue you want to use. It does not matter if it is a really high tensile strength glue CA or a low tensile like muscling. It is only there to hold the nut in place when ther is no string tension.

When we get ready to remove a nut that has been glued in place, no matter what glue was used if done right all you need to do is lightly tap on the nut with a dead blow hammer and it should come out with very! very! little wood fiber tear out if any at all.

So the only reason anyone should ever have any objection to high tensile strength or low tensile strength glue for this task is if they tend to use too much glue. All that is ever desired is two tiny pin tip drops of whatever glue you want to use.

In common bar room english: "If you are worried about using too strong of glue on your nuts your usinging too much in the first place."

makes it easier to pop out when needed and it's easier to clean out something like glue all than it is CA glue from a nut slot when prepping for a new nut.

Tennessee

Reaction score
Lots of good replies, and I think I am good with my Titebond, although I do also keep Elmers in the shop. As far as using any old thing, maybe on a Gibby neck, but a Fender neck with that damn slot is another story. CA in there is nasty to get back out.

Latest Threads