Precision Guitar Kits 59' wiring harness?

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Someone in my area is selling this unused wiring harness from an abandoned project and I can't find anything about it online, but I'd like to pick it up. I thought PGK sold husks, not wiring?

Appears to be Emerson pots, but the harness isn't labeled as an Emerson kit.

Anyone know if PGK does in fact sell wiring harnesses?
20210614_213910.png

20210614_213850.png

vklobucar

Reaction score
Cant speak for PGK but I marvel at what folks are willing to pay for a "custom guitar harness" these days.

More often than not, one can purchase four quality CTS pots (value of your choice of course) as well as two decent PIO caps (many kits contain fake bumblebee caps anyhow) and toss in a quality Switchcraft 3 way toggle and 1/4" mono jack and you're good to go.

I've owned countless Gibson guitars and rewired the vast majority of them (50 style is my fav) and always assembled my own wiring harness.

To each his own mind you. If you score an unused set cheap, why not? But to pay top dollar for someone else to source readily available parts is daft to me.

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Looks like an Emerson kit, their Bees are that strange fat shape and pots are marked Emerson.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Cant speak for PGK but I marvel at what folks are willing to pay for a "custom guitar harness" these days.

More often than not, one can purchase four quality CTS pots (value of your choice of course) as well as two decent PIO caps (many kits contain fake bumblebee caps anyhow) and toss in a quality Switchcraft 3 way toggle and 1/4" mono jack and you're good to go.

I've owned countless Gibson guitars and rewired the vast majority of them (50 style is my fav) and always assembled my own wiring harness.

To each his own mind you. If you score an unused set cheap, why not? But to pay top dollar for someone else to source readily available parts is daft to me.
I hear you man. Unfortunately, here in Canada, getting the parts separately and soldering them yourself, you're still looking at spending a minimum of $70 plus shipping.

LuthierVandross

Reaction score
Thanks for the pic! What do you think so far?
Honestly, i don’t like Emerson at all. I had a really bad experience with their strat harness and the customer service was weak at the time a few years back.
I put this into a friends Epiphone. It went in easy and works. He’s happy with it. But for me, I prefer to roll my own without Emerson components.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Honestly, i don’t like Emerson at all. I had a really bad experience with their strat harness and the customer service was weak at the time a few years back.
I put this into a friends Epiphone. It went in easy and works. He’s happy with it. But for me, I prefer to roll my own without Emerson components.
Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

I ended up buying it. Got it used for a good deal, so I didn't have to pay taxes, shipping, or deal with their customer service. Hoping it sounds good.

Last edited:

LuthierVandross

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

I ended up buying it. Got it used for a good deal, so I didn't have to pay taxes, shipping, or deal with their customer service. Hoping it sounds good.
The one I installed sounded great. Don’t get me wrong, they work fine. For my situation (IE not having escalated fees for international shipping), I usually pick up a set of matched CTS pots, a few Russian caps (I have used PIO, chicklets, orange drops, Zoho, Sprague knock off bumble bees and even rolled my own). I usually use switchcraft toggle switches and jacks. I use Gavitt braided wire and wire it up 50’s style.
This is my main guitar. Had a lil fun with it

2E2049DE-9FBA-4075-AE09-D11A6A3A7DD3.jpeg

I apologize. This one started off as an old prewired set up. The pots/cap was wired up already. My apologies

Last edited:

redking

Reaction score
I have purchased various things like tuners, pots, etc from Precision in the past, so I would not be surprised if they got some of these in stock from a supplier for a period of time and were marking them up a few bucks and selling them. They don't seem to have them on their site right now, but doesn't mean they didn't sell them at one time. (in fact I think the pots I bought from them were Gibson branded pots)

vklobucar

Reaction score
I hear you man. Unfortunately, here in Canada, getting the parts separately and soldering them yourself, you're still looking at spending a minimum of $70 plus shipping.

I am located in Canada as well and have relied on Nex Gen music in Ottawa for very well priced parts and super fast shipping too !

Musha Ring

Reaction score

I am located in Canada as well and have relied on Nex Gen music in Ottawa for very well priced parts and super fast shipping too !

Thanks for the link!

Musha Ring

Reaction score
So, the nuts on each pot in this harness is completely stuck. There appears to be a bluish green substance on the pot shaft in the spot right where each nut is.

Any ideas how I can get them off?

LuthierVandross

Reaction score
So, the nuts on each pot in this harness is completely stuck. There appears to be a bluish green substance on the pot shaft in the spot right where each nut is.

Any ideas how I can get them off?
sounds like blue loctite. If your not gonna keep the pots, I’d say a lock jaw wrench on the back of the pot, a socket on the nut and turn gently.

if that doesn’t work, use a soldering iron to*carefully* introduce heat to the nut only and try to turn.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
sounds like blue loctite. If your not gonna keep the pots, I’d say a lock jaw wrench on the back of the pot, a socket on the nut and turn gently.

if that doesn’t work, use a soldering iron to*carefully* introduce heat to the nut only and try to turn.
I used a heat gun on the nut/shaft. Ended up getting them off.

The pots got pretty hot, can you over cook em?

LuthierVandross

Reaction score
Yea you can, the plastic on the inside can warp causing your brushes to no longer make contact. I do not recommend a heat gun for anything but stripping the finish off a poly guitar for this reason.
If you have a multimeter, you can check them.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
It's been a while since I completely rewired the guts of a Les Paul. The switch I got didn't come with any tubing. Do I need that to shield the toggle leads?

I wired everything up but it's got a hell of a buzz that stops when I touch any metal.

LuthierVandross

Reaction score
You shouldn’t. Take a look at this website, it’s got some good stuff to help wiring

LuthierVandross

Reaction score
As far as the buzz, that sounds like a grounding issue. Double check your ohm reading from your actual stop bar to the ground of your Jack.

Latest Threads