Pre-NGD: 1974 Les Paul Custom Alpine White

KS 5150

Reaction score
Starting to age the brass poker chip & waiting on the engraved pickguard to arrive....wish me luck!
:fingersx:

Reactions: BKS

BenjaminW

Reaction score
All that's left of the transformation into Randy's is putting on gold Grover tuners if you haven't yet, then you've got Randy's Les Paul right there.

I'm GASing for a 74 as well, but I'm not coughing up enough money for one yet.

KS 5150

Reaction score
All that's left of the transformation into Randy's is putting on gold Grover tuners if you haven't yet, then you've got Randy's Les Paul right there.

I'm GASing for a 74 as well, but I'm not coughing up enough money for one yet.
I don't want to route to change the tuners. So that will be a feature that will be a bit inaccurate. I do have some more work to sand the pickguard a bit, as the reproduction I got isn't the same size or shape as an actual '74. I didn't want to engrave the original, as I'm saving all of the original parts. But I'm happy with the progress so far :) If you are considering a real '74, especially in white, I'd look into it sooner than later. I've noticed the prices have taken a bit of a jump lately.

p.s. I checked under the truss rod cover, and mine is a non 20th anniversary '74, just like Randy's. The way to determine is that a '74 has a mahogany neck, whereas a '75 has maple. Mine is definitely mahogany :thumbs:

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
^ The maple neck didn't come in until quite a way through the year.....so a good portion of 75 actually had mahogany necks, plus every other feature of the 70-74 period.

KS 5150

Reaction score
^ The maple neck didn't come in until quite a way through the year.....so a good portion of 75 actually had mahogany necks, plus every other feature of the 70-74 period.
I managed to get a look at the pot dates, & they look to be late '73, so a '75 seems unlikely.

ARandall

Reaction score
Yes, pot dates are a way better way of determining the age of a guitar in this period by comparison to supposed spec change times.

Latest Threads