pre 2006 standards= traditionals?

dvir

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I know many of you said that those new traditionals are the new standards. I myself have one because I always wanted that "standard" les paul, before that I had a wine red studio which I liked a lot, but couldn't stop thinking of a standard. so few questions about that:

1. are those pre 2006 standards had 50s neck or 60s neck?
2. are those pre 2006 standards had AA flame top?
3. did they have 57 pickups?
4. did they cost anything near what a trad cost now?

just trying to get the idea how standard compare to the old standards are traditionals now.
cheers.:dude:

Pwrmac7600

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Standard that i purchased new for 1800.00 It had 490/498 set, and a 59? neck, right in between 50's and 60's, most comfortable neck I own. It is also traditional weight relief.

dvir

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Standard that i purchased new for 1800.00 It had 490/498 set, and a 59? neck, right in between 50's and 60's, most comfortable neck I own. It is also traditional weight relief.

I can also see she has speed knobs(; but no kluson tuners, did you replace those yourself? she is absolutely beautiful I have soft spot for wine reds, my studio was wine red!

Pwrmac7600

Reaction score
Tuners are original, speed knobs, I honestly can't remember if I swapped them or if it came with em. It was also upgraded back in 2002 with Burst Bucker 1&2 pickups, and last year with a graphtech nut, and tonepros locking TOM and locking tailpiece studs. to this day still my favorite out of all my Les Pauls. My 2002 has the same neck, but my wino will always be my fav.

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Les Paul Standard in Wine Red. It's all stock with the original 490 series pickups and weight relief. I'm not sure about the neck profile but I don't think the top is an AA flame. It's pretty basic but it's a nice guitar. I bought it used for $1500.

Personally, I like my older Les Pauls better (79 Custom & 80 Standard)

My Grandson LOVES it so I gave it to him.

GuitarFace

Reaction score
Far as I know they were all Swiss cheese up to 2008. Same weight relif that the traditional has. I think the traditional has a 5 degree neck angle and the standard is a 4 degree. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I've seen original standards with both grovers and kluson tuners. I've also seen both 50s and 60s necks on 2000s standards. Same thing with traditional necks.

grayd8

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I know many of you said that those new traditionals are the new standards. I myself have one because I always wanted that "standard" les paul, before that I had a wine red studio which I liked a lot, but couldn't stop thinking of a standard. so few questions about that:

just trying to get the idea how standard compare to the old standards are traditionals now.

Standards are always Gibson's interpretation of what features are desired by the buying public that specific model year. As far as necks, tops and pickups they are all over the map.

Don't chase a "standard" defined by Gibson's marketing department. Chase what works for you. Go to the store and play every type of les Paul you can, write down what you like and dislike about each one and use that formula to develop your own standard of what a Les Paul should be for you.

My particular standard when buying new is:

60's neck (Gibson) Modern C (Fender)
Rosewood fretboard (Gibson) Maple Fretboard (Fender)
A nice quilted or flamed top preferred
Locking Grover Tuners

The most important thing is how it feels in your hands, equally important is how it sounds. If those two things are right nothing else really matters.

stone_gossard

Reaction score
i have 2004 n 2006 standard. both comes with bb pro sets (stock). i beleive 2002 - 2008 all have bb pros ion them.

2004 with 60s neck profle and 2006 with 50s profile. i prefer 50s profile. and yes 2002 onwards got AA flame. hopes that helps.

heres my guitars.

image_zpse1f43be9.jpg

Pwrmac7600

Reaction score
Yup I have a 2002 as well. Flame top, originally had BB pro's, vintage gibson deluxe tuners with press in bushings, 50's neck, but again it feels more like a 59ish neck. And yes, this one I did swap the top hats for speed knobs. but she will soon be getting gold and silver reflectors....

Bluesidae

Reaction score
2005 Standard. Swiss cheese, BB, AAA top and I believe the covers and bridge are nickel. 50's neck. All basic features - no pCB, push/pull or electronic tuners.It is a keeper!.

Inside Guy

I am no longer @ Gibson
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They had both. You could chose either neck. We put stickers on the truss rod cover to indicate which neck. Since the stickers are long gone...you can tell which neck you have (if you cant tell my holding it) by the color of the truss rod nut. Silver is a 60's neck and Brass is a 50's neck. This was a way to communicate to the neck shapers in porduction which shape to make the neck

Yes

No. Burstbucker Pro

Not sure how to answer that. So...i'll say yes.

The Traditional is an old school less expensive alternative to the Standard.

I hope that helps

dvir

Reaction score
Certainly helps guys! If it wasn't clear I have already made my choice of choosing a les paul traditional as my profile picture indicate. I didn't want to buy a used one, but at the same time I wanted an old school standard without the new features. That is why I chose the traditional in first place.

Colnago1

Reaction score
Far as I know they were all Swiss cheese up to 2008. Same weight relif that the traditional has. I think the traditional has a 5 degree neck angle and the standard is a 4 degree. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I've seen original standards with both grovers and kluson tuners. I've also seen both 50s and 60s necks on 2000s standards. Same thing with traditional necks.

Pretty sure the neck angles are the same as each other and that recent Traditionals have no weight relief.

Pwrmac7600

Reaction score
Never knew this either, now I have to take a look at mine...

Hi, i didnt know that the color of truss rod nut can tell the diff of neck profile..ill check mine..thanks for the info..great place to get information!

Thanks

GuitarFace

Reaction score
Pretty sure the neck angles are the same as each other and that recent Traditionals have no weight relief.

I called Gibson to check a couple SNs and while on the phone I asked for differences. The customer service told me the 4 vs 5 degree neck thing. Not saying it's carved in stone it's just what he said.

Latest Threads