Practice Studio Setup

Marky Mark

Reaction score
I'm currently working on setting up the spare bedroom as a practice studio. It will do double duty as an occasional guest room. I need to keep it simple, so it will be 3-4 guitars on the wall, a couple floor stands, a chair and a stool, and I have a desk PC. I'd like to add a sound system to the computer for playing songs, etc, but am also interestied in some sort of PC interface instead of solely using a practice amp. (Note I am woefully ignorant when it comes to guitar/PC interface) Any recs on interface and a decent-sounding but affordable PC-based sound system?

Gfunk_Minor

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recommend the Zoom R16 multi track.
Not only is is a good audio interface, but it travels really well if you have a jam session at a friends.
It's what I use at home, and at band practice.

I can, from experience also recommend a either a Crown, or QSC power amp for you PC sound.
It all depends on if you want to use passive, or active speakers. Passive you'll need power. Active no.
PC speaker out to a set of Powered Rockville Speakers will have you up in no time.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pardon my naivete, will most computer sound cards adequately drive passive monitors?
I don't think I've seen a PC use passive speakers. A PC sound system is more of a preamp than an amp. Enough power i.e. 0.1W to drive headphones. There are cheap powered monitors.

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to my world. I only get a corner of the guest room.
0EC5D273-8BA1-4E2C-89F8-E9761EF22614.jpeg

I love my very reasonably priced desk table from Amazon. Powered monitors are definitely the way to go. I also get two drawers of the chest of drawers for cleaning products, strings and tools. The bed makes a great work bench. Guitars live lined up in the closet. Got the TV retired from the living room in there so I can spread out on the bed and watch a game while doing a string change or a detail. Got the recliner retired from the living room if I want to kick back and cruise the classifieds. Sort of a camouflage hand me downs man cave. With the music laptop already there, the calculator makes it an instant office too. :laugh2: All the ingredients of a man cave, but you wouldn't know it at a glance. Suits me very well but remains as guest quarters on a moments notice.

Last edited:

Marky Mark

Reaction score
Welcome to my world. I only get a corner of the guest room. View attachment 565824
I love my very reasonably priced desk table from Amazon. Powered monitors are definitely the way to go. I also get two drawers of the chest of drawers for cleaning products, strings and tools. The bed makes a great work bench. Guitars live lined up in the closet. Got the TV retired from the living room in there so I can spread out on the bed and watch a game while doing a string change or a detail. Got the recliner retired from the living room if I want to kick back and cruise the classifieds. Sort of a camouflage hand me downs man cave. With the music laptop already there, the calculator makes it an instant office too. :laugh2: All the ingredients of a man cave, but you wouldn't know it at a glance. Suits me very well but remains as guest quarters on a moments notice.
Pretty close to what I have. Desk, chair, computer, practice amp, three guitars.

Latest Threads