potted Tim Shaw pickup questions

dbwalker

Reaction score
hi all, about 20 years ago I potted the bridge pickup out of my 83 custom "it squealed like crazy" at the time I had already put other pickups in the guitar and never got around to putting it back in and trying it out, I dont remember if the neck pickup squealed also but it most likely did "never got around to potting that one.
I'm curious if there could be negative tonal effects from the potting other then the already existent micro-phonics, planning on putting all the original guts back in the guitar as I'm not playing in bands anymore, as far as destroying the value of the pickups from potting, they are worthless to me if their micro-phonic nightmares, would like to get the guitar back to it's original glory and sounding good with what originally came in it hopefully

if I recall correctly I figured I had nothing to loose and I dipped that pickup in the wax repeatedly, thinking at the time the more saturation the better

ARandall

Reaction score
Well, potting does remove the liveliness.
For those at high volumes/gain its probably not something you'll notice in a band situation. But for low volume or low gain/more touch sensitive situations thats where it would be more noticeable.

AJK1

Reaction score
So you potted the pickup but never tried it out ?
So why don’t you just put it in now and try it out ?
Your post rambles and weaves and winds but doesn’t clearly explain or ask what your question or point is ?

dbwalker

Reaction score
So you potted the pickup but never tried it out ?
So why don’t you just put it in now and try it out ?
Your post rambles and weaves and winds but doesn’t clearly explain or ask what your question or point is ?
it asks "I'm curious if there could be negative tonal effects from the potting other then the already existent micro-phonics"
when I took them out I took out all the pots as well, while I would like to have the guitar all original, I also want it to sound good, I have no experience with messing with potted pickups, if their garbage I'll put something else in it probably, would like to hear from people who have potted tim shaw pickups and what they thought of the pickups after, being that I just decided I wanted to do this today no I haven't done it yet, could be a week or 2 before I have the time to mess with it, need any more explanation?

AJK1

Reaction score
it asks "I'm curious if there could be negative tonal effects from the potting other then the already existent micro-phonics"
when I took them out I took out all the pots as well, while I would like to have the guitar all original, I also want it to sound good, I have no experience with messing with potted pickups, if their garbage I'll put something else in it probably, would like to hear from people who have potted tim shaw pickups and what they thought of the pickups after, being that I just decided I wanted to do this today no I haven't done it yet, could be a week or 2 before I have the time to mess with it, need any more explanation?
What pickups are in it now ?

dbwalker

Reaction score
EMG's, I use to play in metal bands from the 80s through the early 2000s, i've slowly got it down to where I only have 2 guitars left with them still in, late 90s I had upwards of 20 all loaded the same