POT Upgrade

Ed B

Reaction score

gtr-tek

Fumble Fingers
Reaction score
That looks like good quality to me and should drop right in but you may not need the long shaft. Orange drops with CTS in modern config will sound better that what comes stock by far. Would surely be an upgrade for an EPI. I prefer PIO caps in '50s configuration with those pots myself. For not much more money, Jonsey or MartinSixString and a few others here could make you one with the PIO caps and really make your guitar sing! :hmm:

rokshox

Reaction score
Looking at it again... it might be impossible to fit through the F hole!!!

gtr-tek

Fumble Fingers
Reaction score
Oops, My bad, a Dot... 335 clone. Lesters are the target for this kit. The parts would still work but the ground wire may make it tricky. Talk to Jonesy. He can help you get the right setup for that Dot. :hmm:

rokshox

Reaction score
Bump for Jonesy! Quick ass response and super helpful.

Thanks for the heads up gtr-tek!

skydog

Reaction score
I'm not sure what their prices normally are for CTS pre-wired kits. I'm also unsure about what pots come stock in an Epi Dot. I would say, in general, I do not consider CTS an upgrade.

These are my idea of an upgrade...

RS Guitarworks Online Store : Premium Vintage Electronics Upgrade Kit - Long Shaft - PREMVINTKITL

If you're handy with a soldering iron or willing learn this is what I'd recommend. A little bit more after shipping, but IMO RS Kits are unbeatable.
If you read the text the RS kit utilizes CTS pots.

blamo

Reaction score
current production dots have full size alpha pots.

pots are $6 for standard CTS $12 for 10% taper 550k spec.

wire is a couple bucks.

Orange drops are $5

i put standard CTS pots in my dot, and i liked the taper a lot more than stock.

don't buy long shaft for a dot, you might have trouble fitting them in through the f holes.

Latest Threads