Pot Prices

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Potentiometer prices that is... Those of you who make and sell your own harnesses, what kinds of prices are you paying per pot? I know they vary by brand, but I'm curious what the general range is.

I'd like to start selling my own harnesses and I'm having a hard time finding good (non-retail) prices in Canada.

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't help ya, but I do need to pay better attention to what buckets some of these threads are in.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Prices are going up I've noticed.

I can't really afford to buy in bulk, which is why I don't have a harness business and just make harnesses for people who ask. It would be especially hard for me to give everyone full choice in what parts they want if I had to keep nearly everythign in stock.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Prices are going up I've noticed.

I can't really afford to buy in bulk, which is why I don't have a harness business and just make harnesses for people who ask. It would be especially hard for me to give everyone full choice in what parts they want if I had to keep nearly everythign in stock.
This is part of the trouble I'm having. I'm selling some of the basic stuff; CTS 500k with orange drops, for example, but then have people asking me for more specialized stuff. Which I don't mind doing it, but sourcing it can be a pain.

Don't even get me started on finding inexpensive PIO caps here in Canada.

4 500k CTS @ $9/each, couple bucks of wire (braided/cloth), and orange drops at about $7 each... I'm looking at a cost of $60. Can't ask much more than $80, no one will pay it. It's almost not worth my time, which is why I'd like to find good pots at better prices. A place near me carries Bourns, they save me about $12 per harness.

Ripthorn

Reaction score
You should never pay $7/each for orange drops! That's crazy sauce! I pay $4/each for CTS mini's and about $6/each for full size. Some places to check: Philadelphia Luthier Supplies, Angela Instruments, Love My Switches, Thompson Guitar and Thrift.

bjorn218

Reaction score
As much as I don’t like buying from them, I’m purchasing low friction Bournes in A500K and B500K for $4/each if I purchase 4 or more at a time. I find no difference between Bournes and CTS as far as quality goes. For import guitars I always purchase Alpha at whatever I can get them for.

like you I don’t purchase more than 8-12 an order so no bulk.

ARandall

Reaction score
There used to be loads of cheap russian PIO caps in bulk lots on ebay. But that seems to have dried up a bit.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There used to be loads of cheap russian PIO caps in bulk lots on ebay. But that seems to have dried up a bit.
yeah i snagged a few sets @ a fiver each. Well worth the money.

Roxy13

Reaction score
^ They used to be cheaper than that though!

Probably the best way to run a harness making business is to offer pre-made harnesses that don't give a lot of choice. You get these pots and maybe two choices in caps. And if you have a metric guitar, oh well, enlarge your holes and buy new knobs.

What I've been doing is making whatever the customer wants. If they want metric pots I will get them either metric CTS or Alpha, their choice. If they want US spec pots, again I've given them their choice. And their choice in caps provided we can find them. And then I order any parts I don't have on hand.

I should add too that some guitars have some funky routing in the control cavities and I run my bus wire accordingly. Dyna made Burny singlecuts have a crazy one that looks like an amoeba lol. If you buy a pre-made harness for them you might not get it in there without de-soldering the bus wire and moving it around. However, I have one of these guitars so can make you one that fits nicely.

Latest Threads