pot positions

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
it's hard to find a pic, but assuming the way the cavities are drilled, i probably know the answer to this, but when finishing a carved top lp style build, should the pot shafts be parallel to each other regardless of direction they are viewed from, or is it proper to slant each one relative to the 'roll' of the curve on the top. i'm not worried about vintage correct. part of me says they should be parallel, but another side thinks they might look a bit better if skewed to favor the curve of the carve. thanks.

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
I align to the top carve regardless of whether vintage or not. The carve can be quite different between the individual pot shaft holes. Also the knobs would stick much much higher to not have them hit the top. This is the part that looks funny, to me.

Here is a pic of them aligned with the carve. Imagine them all parallel.

Capture.JPG

Cheers Peter.

I would like to see one where they were placed parallel, just for comparison.

jkes01

Reaction score
No expert by any means at all and really interested in the pro’s point of view. Aesthetically, would want the bottom of the knobs to follow the contour of the top or else they would be higher on the down side of the contour and look funky.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
thank you gentlemen. my preference too, is to follow the contour of the carve, but never remember seeing this addressed

ARandall

Reaction score
I've always just made sure the pot is in there in the best mechanically sound way.....so as you tighten the pot washer and the base inside the cavity are putting as even pressure on the 2 surfaces they contact as possible.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Vintage Gibson LP style? Perpendicular to the top surface. PRS style: Perpendicular to plane of the back.

Either way works. It's a matter of personal taste.

It's easier for me to do it PRS style but I've done it the Gibson way, too.

I don't think either is intrinsically any better or worse than the other. But PRS style is easier to rout.

Brek

Reaction score
All my lester's tophats have slightly different heights off the surface of the top, on my R8 they look noticeably higher than the others especially the neck volume one. bugs me.

Latest Threads