I currently have two in my possession:
1986 MIJ Fender Squire Telecaster
2014 MIC Fender Deluxe Telecaster Soapbar

1986_SquireTele01.JPG

2014 FenderModernPlayerTeleDlx01.JPG

Last edited:

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I'm part way through an Esquire project: I've put it all together, cut the nut and done a full set up. Next step is to take it apart and prep the body for a respray: 99% decided on a Gold Top finish, which I will freeze to get some checking on it (to match the aged metal work). I'll spray the bakelite 'guard with clear nitro too (I've wet sanded the sides to give a rounded off finish).

It's got an Oil City Diesel Tap pickup, which is 6k or 9k depending on whether I pull out the tone knob: 9K sounds fuller and louder, 6k sounds more twangy, slight drop in output. I've wired the switch to give the Eldred 'cocked wah' sound in the 'neck' position, but I put a 3300pF cap instead of the usual 4700pF one and it works well. I get 6 variations in tone with the 3 way and the pull switch; not bad for a single pick up guitar.

It is my thickest neck Fender: I usually play 7.25" radius 'vintage' fretted, quite thin necks, but this is the new '51 'Fat U' MIM neck available as a spare part. Has a 9.5" radius and tall/narrow frets. Really pleased with the feel of it and that it's a nice change from my other Teles posted further back in this thread. :)

Pickup fitted.jpg

Wired control plate (found a NOS Mullard capacitor on eBay with the right 3300pF value I wanted):
Control panel.jpg

Stinky Kitty

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just added this beauty to the flock. Very playable neck, reasonable pups. It'll be a few weeks to think about the right replacements, a polarity switch and a neck pup on switch..

-Very- happy for now.

Attachments

Last edited: