Post Your Pedal Board Order

spad91

Reaction score
:wave:

Cool topic! And interesting to see what others are using, how, why... :applause:

Here's mine, and come to think of it, it has not evolved much in the past few years... Merely a change of tuner, I'll explain why. This is my rehearsal and live pedal board, with just what I need to play the songs we play with my band. My home pedal board is a bit more crowded... ^^
The board itself is (rough) DYI, and turns into a small suitcase, when I close the lid, so I can carry it around easily. I have made sure closing the lid would not shift the settings on any of the pedals. :thumb:

20190912_185724.jpg

- Line 6 Relay G30: a very efficient wireless system for a very decent price, and you can power it up just like any other pedal, which helps simplify things.
=>
- Buff 'n' Boost: a modded clone of a Custom Audio Electronics MC401 Boost/Line Driver. Switched off, it's a buffer, switched on, the knob comes into play and allows me to increase the level of the signal, for guitars with a lower output. I have not used a footswitch on that one, as I set it up depending on the guitar I am using, and won't change anything until I decide to use another guitar.
=>
- Joyo JF-18R Power Tune: a true-bypass tuner that also includes a power station for other pedals, with 8 isolated 9V outputs. The trick is you need to power this thing up with something powerful enough.
I love it as I power it up with a Visual Sound/Truetone 1 Spot, which delivers 1.7A, and it can then power up everything I have on my board, with a better result than when using a daisy chain.
=>
- Daphne: a true bypass, heavily modded clone of the Ibanez TS-808. The mods include a high end OPAMP (a Burr Brown OPA2134PA) and a change of the clipper diodes (4 green leds instead of 2 red leds), a mod for a lower gain, a bass knob (cloned from a Paul Cochrane Tiimy), and a mod for a shift in the voicing (cloned from a JHS Morning Glory).
I use it either as a low gain overdrive, or as a boost for the next OD/distortion, when I need to stand out a little, with the touch of a little extra gain.
=>
- Alice: a true bypass modded clone of the original Rockett Pedals Animal Overdrive. The mods include a a high end OPAMP (again, a Burr Brown OPA2134PA), a change in the clipper diodes (4 2N7000 instead of the 4 silicon diodes), and a dual footswitch so I can activate the snarl mode on the fly, and with its own volume setting.
This one has become my all-time favourite dual overdrive/distortion. :love:
=>
- Buddha: my own design of a rythm/lead pedal. The input is actually straight on from the tuner, and all my OD pedals are in a loop from this pedal, then out to the next pedal.
When disabled, the signal goes through a pre-loop control that allows me to set the level of the signal, so I can play with a lower gain setting for rythm parts, into the ODs, then back into a buffer (the same clone of the Custom Audio Electronics MC401 Boost/Line Driver as I have at the start).
When enabled, the level control above is taken off the circuit, and a post-loop volume control comes into play instead, as the buffer turns into a booster. This allows me to have full gain for solos, and set the volume so I can stand out as needed.
The way I stand out with this is different from the way I stand out by hitting my OD/distortion with my TS-like OD.
=>
- Fender EQ: this one is (true bypass and) just to get a radio-like sound, for a very specific intro, by cutting off the highs and the lows.
=>
- Volume: a plain volume control to control the level of the signal after everything else, which allows me to make sure I will not get distortion from the amp, depending on the amp I play on, as I cannot always play with mine. I can also conveniently keep the setting at about 8ish, and turn it up a bit, in rehearsal, when we start playing and I cannot hear myself well enough, without having to move from where I am standing (our practice room is not quite the biggest you've seen... ^^)

huw

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Currently, it's this order:

Gtr > volume pedal > phase > boost > distotion > overdrive > loop pedal > delay (in the loop) > tuner > hum destroyer > amp.

Guitar is a Les Paul more often than not.

Volume pedal at start of chain, not later, because I personally prefer to use it like the guitar volumes & reduce gain when I turn it down.

Phase 90 sounds better to me when it's before distortion rather than later.

Boost (TS808) before drives because I like to increase gain as well as volume for solos

Distortion before OD because it's a dual pedal, and that's the order :p - but also I use it as an alternate solo boost so the same reasoning applies

OD - always on. Clean sound by lowering guitar volume.

Loop (Boss LS-2) - my delay sounds better when I get it out of the main signal path, hence the loop.

Delay - an old mains powered DMM, cranky as heck, but nothing sounds better to me.

Tuner - also used as mute, so at end of chain.

Hum destroyer - recent addition. For some reason the DMM won't play nice with my current amp, and I had a ground loop problem. The hum destroyer is a 1:1 transformer, so effectively isolates the signal = no ground loop. Never had a problem with any other amp, but this works perfectly.

:)

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Guitar
Kemper
Focusrite 2i2
DAW

I use the Kemper for amp profiles only. Minimal plugins are used in the DAW which include EQ, Modulation, Delay, Reverb. A Midi Controller and Track Automation in the DAW is used for switching amp profile presets on the Kemper and switching the Modulation and Delay On / Off eliminating the need for a foot switch.

EQ and Modulation are Track Inserts, Delay and Reverb are Sends so that only one instance of each plugin is used by multiple tracks.

Last edited:

garybaldy

Reaction score
Nothing boutique, mostly cheap or pretty old but sounds great:

Boss PW10 wah (until I get my 70s Crybaby fixed)
Daphon O/D as clean(ish) boost
Daphon O/D modded - my fav O/D
Daphon Distortion
Boss ME8 multifx (with vol pedal) - for tuner/delay/chorus and song specific settings
Nobels O/D as clean boost when everyone else is drowning me out!

OR:
(not on a board!)
Bad Monkey or Guv'nor 2 or Boss Dual O/D
Boss Chorus Ensemble or Boss CE2 long dash
Boss DD3
Boss FV500L vol pedal

Last edited:

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I played with my Hiwatt Custom 50 yesterday, and had to use a lot of pedals because we do a variety of stuff. I still could probably have trimmed 2-3 pedals from the board, though:

Guitar -> Korg Pitch Black tuner -> Wampler Plexi Drive -> homemade Big Muff clone -> Vick Audio Tree of Life -> Colorsound Overdriver -> MXR Chorus -> Swamp Thang Tremolo -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Phase 90 -> MXR Reverb.

It's annoying having all of these pedals that I only use for 1 or 2 songs (Chorus, Tremolo, Reverb, Phaser, Delay), but that's life as a cover band guitarist. I would get rid of a drive pedal too, except that we cover different decades of music and I feel like I need all four with the Hiwatt set fairly clean.

I like the mildest overdrive (Wampler Plexi Drive) going into the Big Muff, so that I can turn off the Big Muff and still have a mild overdrive sound that I like (The Black Keys type of songs). The other way around does not work for me. The Tree of Life is a fairly high gain pedal, and I only run it by itself or with a little boost if needed for volume or solos. I use the Colorsound Overdriver as a complete clean boost and to roll the bass off slightly. The Hiwatt has enough headroom that I never run out, even if I have three drive pedals on at once (pretty rare, but still).

The MXR Reverb I only use for one or two songs, but it has an excellent buffer, so I put it last in the chain. Sometimes I keep it on my board even if I'm not going to use it, just for the buffer.

Last edited:

ErictheRed

Reaction score
When I use my Mesa Triple Crown, it looks more like:

Guitar -> Korg Pitch Black tuner -> Wampler Plexi Drive -> homemade Big Muff clone -> MXR Chorus -> Swamp Thang Tremolo -> Phase 90 -> MXR Carbon Copy.

Obviously the amp footswitch is there also, and often I don't bother with the tremolo (though that pedal sound really good).

That's much more manageable and practical, but nothing sounds like a Hiwatt! Not even my old Reeves Custom 50 clone, nothing.

swampblues

Reaction score
I keep my board pretty simple now a days. I use a chorus,a delay both old Japanese with some tweaks and a Old Zen Drive and a Boss tuner. The rest I get from my amp and tone knobs on my guitar
B1911B73-B030-4559-8611-2B9762E86C00.jpeg

Platte City Paul

Reaction score
Guitar - Polytune 3 tuner pedal - Boss CS-3 Compression Pedal - MXR '78 distortion - JHS Muffuletta - MXR Carbon Copy - Boss TR-3 trem - Nano Holy Grail reverb - MXR micro amp - 70s era Ross Flanger (At the back end because it's HUGE and has its own plug) - Amp.

When I'm home practicing, I have a Boss loop station RC-1 between the MXR micro amp and the Ross.

When I play out, I have another pedal I stomp when I &^%$ up that makes the audience think Jason hit the sour note. Just sayin'...

Deftone

Reaction score
My other rig: Guitar > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Drop > Joyo ZoMBie Bantamp > Mystery (Avatar?) 2x12 with G12-75 Celestions. EFX Loop Send > MXR 6 Band EQ > MXR Carbon Copy > Return.

This rig doesn't seem to like my EMG equipped LP as much as my main rig. It also doesn't like when I switch out the Delays, this rig loves the MXR CC...sounds fantastic and completes the package.

Also, I love the Digitech Drop. I don't think I could live with out it, now that I have one.

*EDIT*

Here's a pic of my "office rig"....

office rig.JPG

I'll probably build a board for this eventually.

The Lead 12 had it's internals removed and replaced by a 5w hand wired Champ style tube amp.

Last edited:

gadafi

Reaction score
It ain't pretty.....Starts at the TU-2 then bottom right to bottom left over to top right to top left.... some full timers some part timers thus the spare jack cables. The ABY is to take stereo outs of the Vortex/Corona/and/or DD7 into 2 amps but tbh rarely use it. Some nice setups on here fella's knew I'd be risking GAS by looking at this thread damnit!

1571145672840.png

Bluesky

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not big on effects. I own a few , but never use more then a little boost, OD , wah.

My #1 pedal has been a Love pedal MKIII tonebender fuzz. I use that with my guitar volume. Love it......also have a Klon KTR for boost. Warren Haynes signature G Lab Wah. GoGo tuner and a Flint Strymon reverb/ Trem as needed.

Guitar
G labs Wah
Strymon reverb
KTR boost
Love Pedal Fuzz
Gogo tuner

Last edited:

Bluesky

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
For my MLP peeps:

On reverb. Stoooooooopid price for this pedal. I love mine. Just sharing the Fuzz love..........