Post Your Black (Beauty) Les Paul Customs

gibbycustom

Reaction score
5EEF5E54-DF72-4216-9AA6-73765C57634A.jpeg

1allspub

Reaction score
Beautiful, please describe a bit the tone, resonance etc...
Like you described your new (to you) 70, “punchy and articulate” are good descriptors. I’ve discovered that I really like the tonal-shift that comes with/from an all-hog body. I’d heard and read multiple times before buying mine that all-hoggers were “darker” and as a result wondered if such guitars would tend to get muddy under gain. But there’s zero mud factor... rather the aforementioned “darkness” comes across as a certain ”sinister-ness”. :dude:

It has quite a distinctive growl as compared to its other maple-capped LP siblings in my guitar harem (which includes a 2010 LPC Silverburst). Excellent string separation while chording, with the unwound strings giving a crispy zing to the finish of, for example, an E-chord—which I just love. Strong lower mids with thick and chewy single strings for lead work (not plinky or plonky at all, which I’ve sometimes found Custom Buckers can be)... and outstanding sustain and resonance. Lots of vibrational transfer can be felt thoughout the body and neck while playing. The whole guitar just has an attitude of “I’m here to chew bubble gum and kick some @$$... and I’m all outta bubble gum!” :laugh2: Very rock/hard rock oriented, very aggressive. But at the same time easily tame-able, if necessary. It’s bone stock... never had an LP (or any guitar) this dialed-in straight outta the box tone-wise. I am an inveterate guitar tinker (pickup swaps, wiring harness replacements, hardware upgrades, etc), but I haven’t done anything to this thing, nor will I. It’s just as I want it.
As you can tell, I’m crushing hard on my new girl!:love:

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheers to you Midnight! I’m happy with how it turned out. The pickups are Bareknuckle Juggernauts..I play hard rock. They sound great, but not everyone’s cup of tea. Here’s another pic..I was trying to be artsy
View attachment 639325

That is a COOL picture and, pretty artsy if I do type so myself!

Thanks for posting it gc and :cheers2:

Radbloke McShreddington

Reaction score
Got this one recently. It came from the Gibson Demo Shop with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pros which seem pretty versatile. I like them more than the 498T and 490R that the Customs normally come with. This is my current #1 guitar.

View attachment 637260 View attachment 637259
That's nice man. How are you liking the new Badlander? I recently picked up a Mk V but am missing the recto sound. Thinking of adding one of these bad boys.

wjlim22

Reaction score
That's nice man. How are you liking the new Badlander? I recently picked up a Mk V but am missing the recto sound. Thinking of adding one of these bad boys.
Very impressed with the Badlander. I was a Marshall JCM800 guy before it and it can cover those tones, recto sound and more. It's a special amp. Feels like a top of the line product. I was between the Badlander and the 5150 III Stealth and the Badlander blows the EVH away by a lot.

Radbloke McShreddington

Reaction score
Very impressed with the Badlander. I was a Marshall JCM800 guy before it and it can cover those tones, recto sound and more. It's a special amp. Feels like a top of the line product. I was between the Badlander and the 5150 III Stealth and the Badlander blows the EVH away by a lot.
It sounds like we have very similar taste! Thanks man, much appreciated. I have an 800 and an EVH back home, both excellent amps. I'm really finding the option paralysis with the Mk V painful at times, looking for something a bit more 'set and forget.' Looks like this could be a go.

wjlim22

Reaction score
It sounds like we have very similar taste! Thanks man, much appreciated. I have an 800 and an EVH back home, both excellent amps. I'm really finding the option paralysis with the Mk V painful at times, looking for something a bit more 'set and forget.' Looks like this could be a go.
I had the same problem with my Marshall Silver Jubilee. The Badlander is definitely more straightforward.

wjlim22

Reaction score
That’s a beauty! I love those low wide frets.
Really? At first I hated the low frets because it requires much more accuracy in the upper registers. I was thinking about a refret, but I decided to learn to play it and now I get the fun of moving up and down so smoothly. It’s an interesting part of the character of the guitar.

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I acquired this 74/75 Ebony Custom a few weeks ago. Took a while to get used to the low frets but it is an excellent guitar with late 70's vintage Seymour Duncan pickups. Just got it set up to my preferences and getting to know it.

View attachment 639923

She's a beauty and she looks cool Framptonized!

I loved the "Fretless Wonder" frets on my '72/'54 LE, but I had to have a refret done a few years ago and no one had the wire anymore, not even Gibson. :(

Thanks for the post and :cheers2:

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My recent purchase from the Gibson Demo Shop. It arrived with aged nickel hardware. I went all black and put in Het Set EMGs.. Black Grovers that matched the original nickel ones and a tone pros bridge with tail piece.

View attachment 653624 View attachment 653625

I'm not always a fan of black hardware, but that looks like a killing machine!! :dude:
I bet it screams! Congrats!

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My recent purchase from the Gibson Demo Shop. It arrived with aged nickel hardware. I went all black and put in Het Set EMGs.. Black Grovers that matched the original nickel ones and a tone pros bridge with tail piece.

View attachment 653624 View attachment 653625

That is just too cool flames! Throw-on a black switch tip for good measure and she'll be the real "Blackie"!

Congrats, HNGD :jam: and play her in good health!

Thanks for the post and :cheers2:

Latest Threads