Post Your Black (Beauty) Les Paul Customs

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My eyes aren't that good, even with my glasses (which I'm wearing), but it doesn't look like a nut to me?

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just noticed that both my '72/'54 and Frampton both have nuts. I'm actually surprised that the Frampton does since it came directly from the Custom Shop. Maybe Grover doesn't make a thinner shaft?

Looking at my old Tulips for my '72/'54 and the picture rjw posted, rjw's resemble those more than they do a nut.

Tonemeister

Reaction score
It will be pretty obvious to the naked eye in person if there is a nut holding down a washer or just a smooth circular rim around the bushing. I just couldn’t say 100% from his pic. My eyes are going down the tubes fast so I know what you mean MB

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess we're unfortunately in the same boat Tm? :laugh2:

You're right though, it's not easy to tell from that particular picture.

:cheers2:

Tonemeister

Reaction score
You can say it. I’m old. :rofl:

I think that bushings are unique to the Kluson style tulip tuners. Maybe somebody will correct me here but any Grovers I’ve seen (whether stock or aftermarket) use the nut to fasten to the headstock. The diameter is smaller for the bushings so if you want to switch to most other tuners , including Grovers, you need to ream the hole to widen it. They sell bushings to fit the wider hole. I went from grovers to tonepro kluson on my 335 and had to use the larger bushings.

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can say it. I’m old. :rofl:

I think that bushings are unique to the Kluson style tulip tuners. Maybe somebody will correct me here but any Grovers I’ve seen (whether stock or aftermarket) use the nut to fasten to the headstock. The diameter is smaller for the bushings so if you want to switch to most other tuners , including Grovers, you need to ream the hole to widen it. They sell bushings to fit the wider hole. I went from grovers to tonepro kluson on my 335 and had to use the larger bushings.
LOL!

Yeah. If I remember right (it's been over 40 years), I had Kluson's on my '76 Deluxe that I switched-out for Schaller's (don't ask me why) and they have a nut as well.

Must be all Grovers come with nuts?

:cheers2 Tm!

EXPLRGAB

Reaction score
INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY...has anyone seen a LP Custom with the serial # scratched out ? I had one , that i purchased in 1971 that was stolen...then recovered by police from a pawn shop. I got the guitar back but traded it in Seattle in the 80s..I just wonder where it is now.

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
Yes, we love :photos:

Here is mine. 2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom

That’s a beauty! What’s the neck profile like? I may be in the market for a black beauty soon, but I prefer a more 60’s slim neck. Are there any black beauties with slim necks?

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY...has anyone seen a LP Custom with the serial # scratched out ? I had one , that i purchased in 1971 that was stolen...then recovered by police from a pawn shop. I got the guitar back but traded it in Seattle in the 80s..I just wonder where it is now.
I have not. I hope someone sees this and lets you know.

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a beauty! What’s the neck profile like? I may be in the market for a black beauty soon, but I prefer a more 60’s slim neck. Are there any black beauties with slim necks?
I'm sure there are. My '72's neck isn't as slim as a '60s, but it's also not as thick as a '59, like my R9. My Frampton neck is as slim as a '60s, which is the way Mr. Frampton prefers them.

Latest Threads