Post Your Black (Beauty) Les Paul Customs

Blues_Verne

Reaction score
Hi,

As suggested by Midnight Blues, here are some pics of my last NGD :slash:

Best Thing Gibson ever crafted. Style, looks, harmonic aesthetics and TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE. give it one humbucker for the middle and call it mine.:yesway:

Blues_Verne

Reaction score
My new baby! These pictures are after a restore with period correct replacements as needed.
Great looking BB. I'm always looking for one with a volute neck like yours - they seem scare and hard to get. What year is yours?

Mick Weiss

Reaction score
I never really bonded with the 72, the fretless wonder was not my thing. I do like the 13 but the older I get the less I like heavy guitars, at 9lb 7oz it's not a beast by any means. I'm just a lightweight...

Ace1

Reaction score
Just curious about your fretboard, unusually light color?
It's a more recent (2011) custom with a maple fretboard. These came with unfinished maple fretboards. I had mine lacquered to give it a more "Norlin Era" look. Maybe it needs more time in the sun....?

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Does this count as a Black Beauty ?

View attachment 405427
Looks great. Dare I say, the finishing touch would be a nice custom made multiply (cream, black, cream, black, cream)pickguard . Match the cream with the pickup rings and you'll have a truly unique looking black beauty.

Of course, the cost of such a custom made pickguard might be prohibitive, but it would look great.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Here's my "ugly duckling" black custom. Got it for a steal of a price. Came with near mint lifton case and the medallion switch cover plate. You can't see in the pictures, but the guitar is pretty dinged up and the gold plating is heavily worn. It also has the dreaded richlite fretboard.

It has become my number 2, just behind it's older brother, a 2002 alpine White custom.

Here's a family shot. I'll eventually post some good shots of the white custom when I figure out how to capture how yellow it actually looks in person. Not randy rhoads yellow, but not as white as it appears here.

Moni

Reaction score
I don't either, but with the switch back to ebony, these customs will no doubt be looked down upon.
I have both Ebony and Richlite fretboards in the Collection. I can’t really tell a difference in feel or tone between the two. They look the same more or less unless you use a magnifier and the Richlite does have grain.

Zero complaints.

Last edited:

Midnight Blues

Premium Member
Reaction score
I never really bonded with the 72, the fretless wonder was not my thing. I do like the 13 but the older I get the less I like heavy guitars, at 9lb 7oz it's not a beast by any means. I'm just a lightweight...
That's completely understandable Mick, both in terms of the frets and the weight. The "Fretless Wonder" frets aren't for everyone, that's for sure, but I loved mine. I just wish I could've had them put back on my '72 when I had it refretted earlier this year.

Thanks for the post and :cheers2:

Midnight Blues

Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's my "ugly duckling" black custom. Got it for a steal of a price. Came with near mint lifton case and the medallion switch cover plate. You can't see in the pictures, but the guitar is pretty dinged up and the gold plating is heavily worn. It also has the dreaded richlite fretboard.

It has become my number 2, just behind it's older brother, a 2002 alpine White custom.

Here's a family shot. I'll eventually post some good shots of the white custom when I figure out how to capture how yellow it actually looks in person. Not randy rhoads yellow, but not as white as it appears here.
Avert my eyes! Avert my eyes! :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
I have both Ebony and Richlite fretboards in the Collection. I can’t really tell a difference in feel or tone between the two. They look the same more or less unless you use a magnifier and the Richlite does have grain.

Zero complaints.
Zero complaints here too. Saved me about $500.

Avert my eyes! Avert my eyes! :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Ha. I've been drooling over some 54 reissues recently, so I guess I was comparing mine to those.

Moni

Reaction score

I think it's a pretty Black Beauty not an ugly duckling.

Midnight Blues

Premium Member
Reaction score
Zero complaints here too. Saved me about $500.

Ha. I've been drooling over some 54 reissues recently, so I guess I was comparing mine to those.

I haven’t played one, but I’ve read a lot of good things about the ‘54 Reissues. It would certainly fit nicely into your collection. I love your Alpine white Custom as well!