Post Your 60th Aniversaries

BigJim

Reaction score
I have been seriously considering a private reserve PRS in the 594 format. Ive never owned one, but how do you like your PRS? With coil splitting can the PRS cover the “one guitar for everything” concept?
The Private Stocks are amazing, I want one someday. You can find used ones for a great price. I have owned piles of PRS over the years. I have two now, a Dirty 100 and an 89 Custom 24. The Dirty 100 is pretty close to Private Stock, the 89 is from the "old factory". They can approximate a Tele, Strat and Les Paul, but not 100% convincingly. Their best "do all" is the DGT.

No PRS can get you to the big tone of the Les Paul though, no matter what they say....

NavyChief@2001

Reaction score
The Private Stocks are amazing, I want one someday. You can find used ones for a great price. I have owned piles of PRS over the years. I have two now, a Dirty 100 and an 89 Custom 24. The Dirty 100 is pretty close to Private Stock, the 89 is from the "old factory". They can approximate a Tele, Strat and Les Paul, but not 100% convincingly. Their best "do all" is the DGT.

No PRS can get you to the big tone of the Les Paul though, no matter what they say....
Thank you taking the time to explain your experience with the PRS. How coincidental, I just watched a video yesterday on how the DGT came about. I thought it was a Dave’s Guitar Shop special issue. There’s nothing like a dialed in Les Paul for sure. When something has been around over a half century and still copied by dozens of guitar makers, and used by pro musicians, the design has got the mojo.

Dalendl

Reaction score

Check out the YouTube video of Tim Pierce interviewing Howard Leese. They are comparing a PRS 594 with 2 of Howard's vintage Les Pauls. Pretty intersting.

NavyChief@2001

Reaction score
Got her today. Amazing guitar, and photogenic, too.

View attachment 415508

View attachment 415509

View attachment 415511
Beautiful guitar. I’ve never been attracted to lemon/faded bursts for some reason, but as I see more examples such as yours, I’m starting to recognize its unique beauty. I love to see pics of LP’s with sunlight - you can see the full figure and depth of the flame on the top. 60+ years and the design still cannot be bested in my opinion.

NavyChief@2001

Reaction score
Got this one yesterday after finally selling my Sandy aged! Southern Fade finish with a rosewood fingerboard. I wasn't expecting this one to turn up till oct over here in the UK. It turned up early. Play's great and sounds great.View attachment 399108View attachment 399109View attachment 399110View attachment 399111View attachment 399112View attachment 399113View attachment 399114
The fretboard almost looks like Madagascan rosewood with those nice long brown fingers running the full length of the fretboard. Very nice guitar!

philip_m

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar. I’ve never been attracted to lemon/faded bursts for some reason, but as I see more examples such as yours, I’m starting to recognize its unique beauty. I love to see pics of LP’s with sunlight - you can see the full figure and depth of the flame on the top. 60+ years and the design still cannot be bested in my opinion.
thank you! They call it golden poppy burst... doesn't look too shabby in interior lighting either

NavyChief@2001

Reaction score
thank you! They call it golden poppy burst... doesn't look too shabby in interior lighting either

It’s a beauty for sure. I’d love to have an aged LP that looks like a “player”. Your Mesa is really sharp as well. I just switched to the Mesa Boogie Mark V:35, and am trying to dial in “my” sound, but using humbuckers and single coils is presenting a challenge. Any advice on how to get the Mesa sounding it’s best? I’m leaving the red amp and cab at church so I don’t have to carry it home every weekend. Baby blue is for home use. The quality is outstanding.

Attachments

NavyChief@2001

Reaction score
Here is mine.
I didn't post a NGD thread yet:

I’m really starting to warm up to the lemon/faded bursts. Gorgeous guitar. The fretboard is very dark, is it freshly oiled or is that the natural hue of the wood? I’ve tried several boutique brands hoping to shed my affinity for the Les Paul, but I just can’t shake my connection to the guitar, no matter how well another brand of guitar plays.

Netwarrior

Reaction score
I’m really starting to warm up to the lemon/faded bursts. Gorgeous guitar. The fretboard is very dark, is it freshly oiled or is that the natural hue of the wood? I’ve tried several boutique brands hoping to shed my affinity for the Les Paul, but I just can’t shake my connection to the guitar, no matter how well another brand of guitar plays.
Thanks!
In reality this is not a lemon finish but it is supposed to be an orange sunset faded. Even if it's very different from the images on gibson website and in reality the brown is even less present than in the pictures. To me it looks a lot more like an honey lemon. The fretboard is as dark as it looks in the pictures (I did condition it, but it was already so dark than didn't make any real difference), that's one of the reason I chose this guitar together with lightweight and the sound.

I spent one entire afternoon at my local dealer, playing a lot of custom shop les paul, including several 60th anniversaries, two collector choices and four true historics and this was by far the best sounding of the bunch.