Post Your 60th Aniversaries

electricblue

Reaction score

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
I was playing this one and my ebony '11 R0 back and forth last night for almost 2 hours. Can't believe that I have 2 such great sounding and playing guitars. There's a subtle difference and in order to truly make it an honest comparison, both guitars should have fresh strings. I'll wait until the R9 is ready for a string change and do them both and run another comparison.

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
it is a beutious fall day out there, saw a sunny spot in my back yard that begged me to go get my guitar and take pictures

the centers of the guitar face is a little hot but it was too bright to find my exposure control on my phone, i could barely see the guitar to frame it in the screen.
I’m in a coma .... *Drooling*

NavyChief@2001

Reaction score
I love mine. It does sound a little different than previous 59’s, but it’s in a good way. I hear a more acoustic/openness tone from the unpotted pickups.

As a consumer, I’m disappointed that Gibson flooded the market with these 60th’s, but I love mine and keeping it. I will most likely send it to Historic Makeovers this spring to make it what I think Gibson should have offered.

question: do you folks outside the US only get the Bolivian fretboard? anyone have one and do you like it? I’ve seen pictures and they look nice.

The tops on the 60th in general are very nice and mine is just at 8 pounds with the plastic switch cover installed.

Love the neck profile and it’s very resonant and sustains effortlessly. When it comes back with a dark Braz board and very mild aging from Historic Makeovers, I think it will become a favorite.

Attachments

NavyChief@2001

Reaction score
I was playing this one and my ebony '11 R0 back and forth last night for almost 2 hours. Can't believe that I have 2 such great sounding and playing guitars. There's a subtle difference and in order to truly make it an honest comparison, both guitars should have fresh strings. I'll wait until the R9 is ready for a string change and do them both and run another comparison.

Good point on the strings. I always get better tone on a fresh set. I love my R0 as well. Barring typical quality issues, these histories/reissues are just incredible guitars, and I’ve gotten more good than not so good in the last four years. I really dig your fading burst. Nice top.

BigJim

Reaction score
Not a "clunker" in the bunch here...I need to try a recent R9 out!

NavyChief@2001

Reaction score
Not a "clunker" in the bunch here...I need to try a recent R9 out!
I’ve seen more “featherweight” candidates in the 60th anniversary production lineup than anytime in the 18 years I have been seeking the “perfect” custom shop historic reissue. I had a drop dead gorgeous Brazilian 59 made in 2018, but at just below 9 pounds, it was not comfortable to play. When my mind is telling me that I’m uncomfortable, my creative inspiration dissipates quickly. I was very sad to let that guitar go, but couldn’t enjoy it for its intended purpose. Getting old really sucks. Irregardless of what tone and sustain is lost or gained with heavy or light Les Pauls, I personally will opt for the light guitar. Maybe if I got into shape my opinion and carrying ability would change.

BigJim

Reaction score
I’ve seen more “featherweight” candidates in the 60th anniversary production lineup than anytime in the 18 years I have been seeking the “perfect” custom shop historic reissue. I had a drop dead gorgeous Brazilian 59 made in 2018, but at just below 9 pounds, it was not comfortable to play. When my mind is telling me that I’m uncomfortable, my creative inspiration dissipates quickly. I was very sad to let that guitar go, but couldn’t enjoy it for its intended purpose. Getting old really sucks. Irregardless of what tone and sustain is lost or gained with heavy or light Les Pauls, I personally will opt for the light guitar. Maybe if I got into shape my opinion and carrying ability would change.
Yeah, I get it. I'm old too!

I have learned to consider weight way after everything else though. I have had some really great 9 pounders over the years, one of my replicas is 8.72 lbs.

I only gig my Les Pauls, but rehearse with my flyweight PRS. Gigs go by fast, rehearsals seem to last forever...

NavyChief@2001

Reaction score
Yeah, I get it. I'm old too!

I have learned to consider weight way after everything else though. I have had some really great 9 pounders over the years, one of my replicas is 8.72 lbs.

I only gig my Les Pauls, but rehearse with my flyweight PRS. Gigs go by fast, rehearsals seem to last forever...
I have been seriously considering a private reserve PRS in the 594 format. Ive never owned one, but how do you like your PRS? With coil splitting can the PRS cover the “one guitar for everything” concept?