Deathray

Reaction score
creamy
A65D1BF1-0D50-4A05-9628-FDF78AB59E39.jpeg

crunchy

C62FCD92-0671-45D9-B811-D29848BCF44F.jpeg

juanpuol

Reaction score
Hey. There's two channels on the amp and this allows you to blend both of them together, rather than only being able to use just one at a time. Hopefully that makes sense

Thank you for the answer. It is clear. I whish I could test it myself to see how the sound varies.
Thanks again

DJGranite

Reaction score
Always wanted to try a Stiletto

It's a great amp for me.
It was an early attempt at a "British voicing" by Mesa/Boogie
Built around EL34 tubes instead of the more common 6L6 tubes.
It can get a "Hot Rodded" Marshall type of sound.
Gets a lot of sounds, including a really nice clean to go with the dirty which it also does very well.
Really it has its own thing going on.
A different kind of Mesa/Boogie in my opinion.
Try one, just don't expect it to sound like a Mark or Rectifier style amp.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I'll go for this pair, though by tomorrow it could have changed. :)

Marshall SV20H and a custom made cab. AKA Mini Plexi Stack:
Mini Plexi Stack Edit.jpg

Fender '64 Custom Deluxe reverb handwired:
Powered up.jpg

Could be my Marshall Mini Jubilee or my Fender Champ clone by this time tomorrow. :)

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you compare and contrast the Bogner and Mesa? You know that I love my Triple Crown!

I love mine as well! I do a pretty bad job of describing sounds but here I go:

For the clean channel, the Bogner 3534 definitely has a Vox vibe going on while the Mesa sounds more like a Fender Blackface. The Bogner has more chime and the Mesa is more warm. For cleans, I prefer the TC-50 but I like the Bogner too. It's just a preference thing. I love Fender cleans.

The 2nd channel on each amp is kind of similar in terms of what they are, although they don't sound too similar. Both amps have 3 channels, 1 being clean, 2nd is moderately dirty, and the 3rd channel being the high OD channel. I don't spend too much time on the 2nd channel with either amp, only for certain songs here and there. The 2nd channel (blue) on the Bogner gives you a more classic Marshall sound. It's much better than the limited 25 watt Ecstasy they released before the 3534. It's probably the biggest improvement they made.

For the 3rd channel, both amps are high gain monsters. What I like most about them is they have more gain and treble than you'll ever need, so you'll never have to worry about any guitar sounding "muddy". The presence knob gives you more highs and versatility on each amp. Both amps are pretty quiet in higher gain settings which I like as well. The Bogner has a bunch of bright switches and settings too, so there's a lot of versatility. The 3rd channel on the Bogner is like a hot rodded Marshall. You can get pretty close to JCM800 territory. I don't think the TC-50 sounds anything like a JCM800 or any Marshall. It has its own high gain sound which I really like too, but I'll admit it doesn't sound like a Marshall.

It's really hard for me to decide what amp I like better. I've been leaning towards the Mesa lately just because the separate EQ for each channel allows me to do a little more than I can with the Bogner. The Bogner has separate settings for each channel too, but not the same way the Mesa does. The Mesa also has a master volume which really comes in handy, plus it has the independent boost for soloing. The Bogner has its own boost too but I'll be honest, it's kind of useless. I hit it when on the 3rd channel and don't really notice any difference. The solo option on the Bogner doesn't have the separate volume knob like the Mesa does either. Maybe I'm not using correctly? Who knows.

I've had the Mesa for about 6 months now? I haven't really been interested in any other amps because I feel like I"m set. I'm pretty picky when it comes to gear these days. Most stuff I get I end up returning or selling, but both of these amps are keepers for sure. I don't know if I'll ever find another amp I like more than either of these. I've had quite a few boutique amps too, from brands like Toneking, Friedman, etc. No other amp satisfied my tastes like these 2 do, not even the Friedman BE-50.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

For the clean channel, the Bogner 3534 definitely has a Vox vibe going on while the Mesa sounds more like a Fender Blackface. The Bogner has more chime and the Mesa is more warm. For cleans, I prefer the TC-50 but I like the Bogner too. It's just a preference thing. I love Fender cleans.

The 2nd channel on each amp is kind of similar in terms of what they are, although they don't sound too similar. Both amps have 3 channels, 1 being clean, 2nd is moderately dirty, and the 3rd channel being the high OD channel. I don't spend too much time on the 2nd channel with either amp, only for certain songs here and there. The 2nd channel (blue) on the Bogner gives you a more classic Marshall sound. It's much better than the limited 25 watt Ecstasy they released before the 3534. It's probably the biggest improvement they made.

For the 3rd channel, both amps are high gain monsters. What I like most about them is they have more gain and treble than you'll ever need, so you'll never have to worry about any guitar sounding "muddy". The presence knob gives you more highs and versatility on each amp. Both amps are pretty quiet in higher gain settings which I like as well. The Bogner has a bunch of bright switches and settings too, so there's a lot of versatility. The 3rd channel on the Bogner is like a hot rodded Marshall. You can get pretty close to JCM800 territory. I don't think the TC-50 sounds anything like a JCM800 or any Marshall. It has its own high gain sound which I really like too, but I'll admit it doesn't sound like a Marshall.

It's really hard for me to decide what amp I like better. I've been leaning towards the Mesa lately just because the separate EQ for each channel allows me to do a little more than I can with the Bogner. The Bogner has separate settings for each channel too, but not the same way the Mesa does. The Mesa also has a master volume which really comes in handy, plus it has the independent boost for soloing. The Bogner has its own boost too but I'll be honest, it's kind of useless. I hit it when on the 3rd channel and don't really notice any difference. The solo option on the Bogner doesn't have the separate volume knob like the Mesa does either. Maybe I'm not using correctly? Who knows.

I've had the Mesa for about 6 months now? I haven't really been interested in any other amps because I feel like I"m set. I'm pretty picky when it comes to gear these days. Most stuff I get I end up returning or selling, but both of these amps are keepers for sure. I don't know if I'll ever find another amp I like more than either of these. I've had quite a few boutique amps too, from brands like Toneking, Friedman, etc. No other amp satisfied my tastes like these 2 do, not even the Friedman BE-50.

And if you're ever interested in the Bogner 3534, check out these demo's made by a guy on The Gear Page. They're not heavily over produced like professional demos and give you an excellent idea of what the amp sounds like.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I really like my TH30 and posted that with also an old picture of my Handsome Devil I had 9 years ago for a few years of playing. I had it modded to the Marshal tone and it did improve the gain for sure, but then that made it lose the nice warm creamy cleans it had, so I sold it. I just recently picked up a like new Handsome Devil Combo, so I have come full circle back to a nice little Handsome Devil 2x12 stack.

HandsomeDevilStack.jpg
mycorner.jpg

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Great, thanks.

I've been waiting to be able to take a new picture, but I was going to post my Mesa TC-50 and 1966 Pro Reverb as my two favorite. The Mesa isn't always perfect, but it's just sooo good and versatile. Whenever I feel like I'm getting tired of it, I turn some knobs and discover very different sounds.

TonyAsh

Reaction score
My number one is this Ceriatone Plexi 100 Super Lead clone. It's the more aggressive sounding 1973 circuit. Fully handwired, with a post-phase inverter master volume added by Nik. I've played a lot of both vintage and modern Marshalls in my life and this one rules them all.

Number two spot goes to my 1966 Fender Bassman. Fully stock other than a few changed capacitors. Honestly I almost gave this spot to my 80's era Roland JC120 because it has such a cool sound that I almost couldn't live without. But the Bassman complements the Ceriatone so well in a stereo setup that it wins out. If I could only have two amps for any situation, it would be these.

20201024-130203.jpg

Latest Threads