Post Guitars You Built

jack briggs

Reaction score
Reserve Stock Pandora - all air dried acoustic grade tonewoods:

Tamo ash veneer over 1-pc. Sitka spruce top, 1-pc. Honduras mahogany back, bent Indian rosewood sides, 1-pc. Brazilian rosewood neck, African blackwood fretboard, rippled green abalone inlays; fiddleback koa bindings and trim parts, old mahogany center black (chambered), old redwood soundposts, Lust-for-Tone pickups, Jescar 47104EVO gold frets, Rodgers tuners.

Thanks for looking!
1709 072.jpg
1709 073.jpg
1709 078.jpg
1709 082.jpg
1709 069.jpg
1709 070.jpg

BPW666

Reaction score
I've finally finished the toy guitar I've been buildig for my wife's neice. She saw the jump video and declared that now she's Ella Van Halen. Only problem is i started this when she was 4 and dam me if the little rug rat hasn't gone and grown in the year is taken me to finish it, who'd have realised that was going to happen! O well she had a little sister, time to get going on the next one.

IMG_11072019_133450_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

fretman_2

Reaction score
No...you don't see them very often. I've built quite a few necks out of red oak. The only issue I've had, and that's with red oak in general, is that it's chippy. You have to have sharp bits and go slow around tight bends.

You don’t see oak necks very often...very nice!

Tweaker

Reaction score
No...you don't see them very often. I've built quite a few necks out of red oak. The only issue I've had, and that's with red oak in general, is that it's chippy. You have to have sharp bits and go slow around tight bends.
My biggest issue with red oak is the stink that some boards have! I’ve had a few pieces that smelled SOOO bad.

fretman_2

Reaction score
Oh yea...red oak does stink sometimes. Especially when it's a little wet. The problem with red oaks we have here in my neck of the woods is they're super highways for formosan termites.

My biggest issue with red oak is the stink that some boards have! I’ve had a few pieces that smelled SOOO bad.

dcomiskey

Reaction score
This is "essentially" done. After banging my head against a wall all day yesterday, I realized the bridge needs to me moved back a good 1/4", as I simply can't intonate the damn thing. GRR!! I also think my tone pot ain't working, so have to dig into some small wiring issues. I'm trying to do things through GarageBand, as my computer I used with my PodUX is not booting up.... :/

Either way, I LOVE how this turned out, mistakes and all. Not too bad for build #3. Just annoyed it took me nearly 2 years to finish this build. Once I get the issues ironed out, I'm going to give it to a friend's husband to play on his band to get honest feedback on it.

Attachments

fretman_2

Reaction score
I like it...very elegant!

I hate it when the bridge is not in the right position. You'll have to plug holes and move it back. Hopefully not enough to see the plugs. I made a little jig to help me consistently place my bridges.

This is "essentially" done. After banging my head against a wall all day yesterday, I realized the bridge needs to me moved back a good 1/4", as I simply can't intonate the damn thing. GRR!! I also think my tone pot ain't working, so have to dig into some small wiring issues. I'm trying to do things through GarageBand, as my computer I used with my PodUX is not booting up.... :/

Either way, I LOVE how this turned out, mistakes and all. Not too bad for build #3. Just annoyed it took me nearly 2 years to finish this build. Once I get the issues ironed out, I'm going to give it to a friend's husband to play on his band to get honest feedback on it.

dcomiskey

Reaction score
I like it...very elegant!

I hate it when the bridge is not in the right position. You'll have to plug holes and move it back. Hopefully not enough to see the plugs. I made a little jig to help me consistently place my bridges.
Thanks! Yeah, I should be able to cover my tracks without a lot of surgery, thankfully. I measured the placement about 10 times, but still managed to screw it up. So frustrating.

I'm trying to build stuff you don't see very often. I have a shit-ton of exotic woods, tops, bodies, etc. I figure the only way I can make it (if I'm even lucky enough to in the future) is to be as different as I can. This one was to be as "raw" as possible. The only finishing is a few shots of satin on the face of the HS.

fretman_2

Reaction score
The minimalist approach certainly works on that guitar. I know what you mean about trying to be different. I love Tele's and Strats and Les Pauls, but I don't want to build them. I build guitars for myself first...I play them as a gigging musician. If someone wants to buy one from me one day...that'll be icing on the cake.

If not, I'll build myself a new one every year and give the old one away.

Thanks! Yeah, I should be able to cover my tracks without a lot of surgery, thankfully. I measured the placement about 10 times, but still managed to screw it up. So frustrating.

I'm trying to build stuff you don't see very often. I have a shit-ton of exotic woods, tops, bodies, etc. I figure the only way I can make it (if I'm even lucky enough to in the future) is to be as different as I can. This one was to be as "raw" as possible. The only finishing is a few shots of satin on the face of the HS.