Post Guitars You Built

bhmcintosh

Les Pauls, Telecasters, and 12strings
Silver Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi ! LP rosewood top finished...
View attachment 356608
Nice... but what's with the mirror image ;)
I build for myself... poor left handed player...
Lefty who ended up playing right-handed. I decided when I was a kid that "left handed" and "guitar player" weren't going to fly for me - left handed guitars were pricey, and having to learn all the chords "backwards" didn't thrill me. Much the same reasoning also applied to shooting. :D

guitaroholic

Reaction score
My second attempt of guitar-from-scratch in 1994.
I had no idea about 'tonewood', so this is from a giant log of maple (I think it was 8 feet long) I had purchased rough-cut directly from the lumber yard.
I reshaped the neck last year, cuz it's been way too fat all these years. That and the Seymour Duncan Hendrix set satisfy my itch to own a strat.
The saddles are John Mann nickel-plated brass, with brass height and adjustment screws.

bhmcintosh

Silver Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
:shock:
A solid maple strat? Whoa. What's that baby weigh?

bierz

Reaction score
I only have a bath scale, but I'll check it later today...
It's not too bad actually. I did a lot of routing under the pickguard.
Do you recall where you purchased the pickguard material, if you bought it that way? I'm trying to find some nice tortoise and this seems to fit the bill.

guitaroholic

Reaction score
Do you recall where you purchased the pickguard material, if you bought it that way? I'm trying to find some nice tortoise and this seems to fit the bill.
Wherever it was, it was 25 years ago.

Probably Warmoth, but could have been StewMac or AllParts too.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
all i have to weigh with is a digital bathroom scale as well, but to get a better reading, i weigh myself, then weigh again with whatever it is i'm wanting to weigh, then see what the difference is. my scale tells me the difference, but i find it much more reliable that weigh....did you see that? pretty cute, no?

guitaroholic

Reaction score
all i have to weigh with is a digital bathroom scale as well, but to get a better reading, i weigh myself, then weigh again with whatever it is i'm wanting to weigh, then see what the difference is. my scale tells me the difference, but i find it much more reliable that weigh....did you see that? pretty cute, no?
yea that's how I do it too. especially for luggage.

came out at 9lbs... not too bad.

bhmcintosh

Silver Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
all i have to weigh with is a digital bathroom scale as well, but to get a better reading, i weigh myself, then weigh again with whatever it is i'm wanting to weigh, then see what the difference is.
That's how I weigh my cats. :thumb:

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't started any new build for a bit while dealing with the never
ending shit-storm that is my life, and you've all seen these guitars individually over the last couple years, but since I have nothing new to post about, here they are again posing together.
All other builds have either been sold or decommissioned. These are the 4 I'll never sell.

Left to right, 24 Magnum, 22 Magnum, 22 Special, and Strat

They don't actually get larger left to right. Just closer. Photos can be so misleading...

Last edited:

strömsborg

Reaction score

Just finished the Telecaster. The Junior is last years build.
The Tele turned out nice if you don't look to close at the nitro. Sanded through in a few spots on the body. The neck on the other hand is perfect. Really happy with the inlaying of the skunk stripe and plug and the shape, profile and finish. The hours sanding and polishing the laquer in between the frets were worth it.
The fatal mistake this time was blindly following the plans and making templates and routing the neck without measuring what the actual dimensions should be. The result is that the neck is too narrow at the heel. The E-strings are too close to the edges and with me rounding off the neck edge a little extra especially the high e-string wants to slip over the edge. I noticed that the three bridge barrels was a tiny bit spread out like a fan so I grinded a little metal off of the ends, pushing them closer together, and then I took the radical step off filing a notch in the barrel for the high E, pushing it further in. It plays ok. A temporary solution that might get permanent.
Last thing to do now is to try my luck at making a bone nut from scratch, scrape the nitro off the frets and to get another headstock decal (Erling again, my sons name). I was a bit ham fisted when placing it and it's already flaking off. In the name of vintage correctness it's just placed on top of the laquer, like in 1957. There's also some major surgery ahead. For some reason the neck is too high over the body. It's also dead straight, no relief at all even with the truss rod loose. To be able to do basic setup I had to put a piece of scrap metal under the bridge barrels and even with that they are adjusted to as high as it gets. I'll have to route the neck pocket a couple of millimeters deeper.
Otherwise I'm in love. The ultimate Tele, just over 7 lbs. I did the right thing when ordering a proper ash blank.

Last edited:

trovador

Reaction score

I finished this guy after 3 years of putting it on and off. I'm happy with the outcome. I'll post a build thread soon.

guitaroholic

Reaction score

I finished this guy after 3 years of putting it on and off. I'm happy with the outcome. I'll post a build thread soon.
Mmmmmm wood covers. Sweet top!
And is that a MannMade NOS2000 bridge? Those are solid. I like them better than the PRS, cuz it stays shiny while I have to polish the original all. the. time.
What pickups? Woods?

trovador

Reaction score
Mmmmmm wood covers. Sweet top!
And is that a MannMade NOS2000 bridge? Those are solid. I like them better than the PRS, cuz it stays shiny while I have to polish the original all. the. time.
What pickups? Woods?
It is a MannMade! Maple top, Cuban mahogany back, and Brazilian rosewood neck/fretboard