Post Guitars You Built

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
rosewood is grown on the other side of the world. that's the only way you can use it...duhh. i thought everyone knew that.

very very nice. did it add noticeably to the weight/tone? i have a splendid piece of zebrawood that would make a great top but was worried about those factors.

jkes01

Reaction score
rosewood is grown on the other side of the world. that's the only way you can use it...duhh. i thought everyone knew that.

very very nice. did it add noticeably to the weight/tone? i have a splendid piece of zebrawood that would make a great top but was worried about those factors.
Chamber it. :thumb: I have a Les Paul with a zebrawood top and it is heavy.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i figured it would be. that's nice. great color. mine is thick enough to resaw and get a bookmatch, but it is almost perfectly quartersawn and am tempted to cut fretboard blanks from it, but i'll never use them. i average maybe one guitar a year. it's a crime to have so much stuff and not be able to use it all. thanks for the post

Matt310

Reaction score

This rosewood is an old shelf of Madagascar rosewood (sold as that, but looks and smells like Rio rosewood...). It has added around 0.2 lbs compared to a maple top, the guitar weights 9.2 lbs. the other woods are 60 years old old growth Sipo mahogany for the body, 30 years old old growth Honduras mahogany for the neck, old Gabon ebony fretboard. Glued with UF Glue for the top and hot hide glue for all other joints.
Nitro sealer and lacquer directly applied on the bare sanded wood.

The tone is on the bright side, with lots of sustain and dynamics. A little bit less bass than my two own built burst replicas.

Matt310

Reaction score
Yes I was surprised too. But in fact as the top is carved and pickups / mortise routed in it, there is not a lot of material remaining.

I will make a video soon, comparing it with my burst replicas and the Bavarian makeover R8 of a friend (and probably the 1959 LP junior of another friend).

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
dont have a clue. i suppose i could measure it and weigh it and come up with something. i doubt it is as heavy as rosewood, though.

jack briggs

Reaction score
Reserve Stock Apollo:
Burgundy Mist nitro lacquer
BRW neck
Bronze MOP Pyramid inlays
Quilt maple binding b/w purfling
MojoAxe wraparound
BRW pickup rings, knobs, switch tip and cover plates
Gold MOP logo

Thanks for looking!

cheers,