Post an original song you wrote!

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So I PMed Frogfur and offered to upload one of his songs because he sent me his CD. But then I couldn't find the CD. I must have misplaced or misfiled it. So I spent the afternoon pulling all my CDs off the shelves looking for it. Still have not found it but what I DID find almost made me cry. A data CD that had the multitrack transfer of the first song my late younger brother and I recorded together about 30 years ago. I thought that stuff was lost. But here i am slobbering like a baby listening to it and hell, I gotta mix it now. The original machine it was recorded on was an Akai 12 track analog tape with integrated console. It was a really weird tape format and generally sounded pretty crummy (as did the console pres and EQs). But regardless, I'm glad I found these tracks! Lemme do a quick mix and upload it here. The tune is called "Big Speaker"....3 drum tracks....kick, snare and OH, 1 bass track, 4 guitar tracks and one vocal track.

Last edited:

Frogfur

Reaction score
If you can't find it let me know. Ill send another one with the other finished tracks added.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've got the tune mixed down. (surprising how easy it is when there are so few tracks!) I want to put together a video for the song (I think it will be a heck of a treat for Joe's friends).... a collage of pics of Joe and me and the band, perhaps along with some video footage that follows the narrative of the lyrics.
It's called Big Speaker and although there are some double entendres (ie. the magnet pulls what it can find) it's really about snake oil salesmen....politicians, preachers and the lemmings that fall for group think.

Aka MG 1212 or 1214?
Had to go online to look at pictures. It was the 1214.

If you can't find it let me know. Ill send another one with the other finished tracks added.
Thanks man. You're too kind!

Neffco

Reaction score
Thanks. Funny I never intended that song to be about a 'relationship' but my songs almost always end up that way!!! I think I was setting out to say something profound about the human condition... Oh well, chicks dig relationship songs!!!
I smell what you’re stepping in. I do the same.

Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
Im impressed by the musicianship all yall should send the mastered version to a few radio stations, seriously

I have not yet completed a single song so I am only a fill in guitarist at the time being heres a project inspired from playing on my first Les Paul Standard (Epiphone)

https://soundcloud.com/sapphiresounds%2Fdemo01

Last edited:

Frogfur

Reaction score
Thanks. Funny I never intended that song to be about a 'relationship' but my songs almost always end up that way!!! I think I was setting out to say something profound about the human condition... Oh well, chicks dig relationship songs!!!
We did a song that was about a love triangle with all the participants living in the same dwelling.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I don't know if these can be considered 'songs' without lyrics and singing. But here are three I built around riffs. They're also pretty old and I've posted them on MLP plenty of times before.

The first is one I'm really proud of. Just a mismash of riffs I wrote (probably ripped off from someone, I know I 'borrowed' from Cheap Trick on the opening). But it was written with some students of mine from over ten years ago. We played it at our annual concert for charity and it's never been played since. REALLY a drag that it wasn't mixed properly; it's directly from the board, so unfortunately, the bass is lost. But pay no attention to the wankery of the old man on the guitar and listen to the 14 year-old kid pounding that kit! Little bugger, we were supposed to play it slower, but he decided to speed it up to see if old guy could keep up.....I barely did. :)

https://soundcloud.com/northernguitarguy/10-wake-up

The next two are songs I made up after recovery from Guillain-Barre Syndrome. My hands were a mess from polyneuropathy, and I was trying to rebuild my playing skills. Funky Mama is yours truly on bass and guitar. I think I used James Brown's Funky Drummer loop for the drums.

https://soundcloud.com/northernguitarguy/funky-mama-rhythm-section

Carrot Soup Blues is a basic Blues in A. If you listen in the background, my missus is calling me to come for lunch, which was of course, carrot soup. Why the Blues over soup? My sons refused to eat it and I think I was on my fourth bowl on two days when she was ringing the dinner bell.

https://soundcloud.com/northernguitarguy/carrot-soup-blues

johnreardon

Reaction score
This is an original from our album Born at the Bosco, called I Need Someone. We first wrote this way back in 1966 and then updated it for the album which was released in 2015.

The video is a bit of a cheat as the audio is from the studio, whereas the video is a practice in 2014 where we had some members missing

johnreardon

Reaction score
Here's one I wrote quite a while ago, but only got round to doing a rough demo for our singer in 2014. Just did it straight into the PC using an EIEPro as the interface into Garageband. Laid down the acoustic and singing, then over dubbed the electric bits using I think an LP.

The song is looking back to the old days, i.e my childhood which is probably before many of you were born.

If we ever get round to recording another album, our singer will do it.

BTW pics are from the 60s and believe it or not 4 of us are still playing together. Chap doing a Wyman sadly died a few years ago.

Static

Reaction score
Turns out that I actually wrote the music and arrangement for 1 song that I do like, our singer provided the lyrics about his then newborn daughter.

my favorite part is the terrible guitar solo at the end, I can really tell that I didn't want to play a solo there, so I just played some run-of-the-mill nonsense and turned it down in the mix, voila, problem solved, LOL
I finally had a chance to listen to some of these tracks with my good headphones - Avalee is a fantastic song! It's well written, performed and recorded. You should be proud. Nice job.

Craig Willms aka Young Craig