Post an original song you wrote!

yeti

Reaction score
Great idea for a thread!
I always wanted to be able to write my own songs but after years of trying in my 20's I just can't stop the mental censorship anymore that's in play when trying to put something down, especially lyrics. I've played in a few original bands over the years and recorded my own songs for awhile back in the analog days with an 8-track reel to reel, a drum machine and a studio master mixer. I hated pretty much everything I ever did so I finally destroyed all those recordings and I'm glad I did. I know that sounds crass but it's true.
Lucky for me I got to play with a few guys who write great songs and plenty of them.
Turns out that I actually wrote the music and arrangement for 1 song that I do like, our singer provided the lyrics about his then newborn daughter.

my favorite part is the terrible guitar solo at the end, I can really tell that I didn't want to play a solo there, so I just played some run-of-the-mill nonsense and turned it down in the mix, voila, problem solved, LOL

Neffco

Reaction score
That’s a great tune there @yeti ! I like everything about it.

I hear you about the writing of lyrics, they all sound cheese ball. You need to be in the moment. Harder the older you get.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Since there’s no sub forum for this. I’ll start with a song I wrote with my good buddy in a cabin in the forest. https://m.soundcloud.com/user-141562468/wreck-a-silly-nation

Looking forward to hearing original stuff from members!
Very nice! Cool raw, rough and unvarnished vocals. I like the break with the funky guitar note.

Great idea for a thread!
I always wanted to be able to write my own songs but after years of trying in my 20's I just can't stop the mental censorship anymore that's in play when trying to put something down, especially lyrics. I've played in a few original bands over the years and recorded my own songs for awhile back in the analog days with an 8-track reel to reel, a drum machine and a studio master mixer. I hated pretty much everything I ever did so I finally destroyed all those recordings and I'm glad I did. I know that sounds crass but it's true.
Lucky for me I got to play with a few guys who write great songs and plenty of them.
Turns out that I actually wrote the music and arrangement for 1 song that I do like, our singer provided the lyrics about his then newborn daughter.

my favorite part is the terrible guitar solo at the end, I can really tell that I didn't want to play a solo there, so I just played some run-of-the-mill nonsense and turned it down in the mix, voila, problem solved, LOL
Nice tune yeti. Some nice surprises in the chord progression....love it when that happens....your ear is anticipating the next chord but it goes somewhere unexpected. Very organic drum sound!

yeti

Reaction score
Nice tune yeti. Some nice surprises in the chord progression....love it when that happens....your ear is anticipating the next chord but it goes somewhere unexpected. Very organic drum sound!
Thanks, Freddy, it's the only thing I've ever written that I can live with, how sad is that, LOL.
I really feel a lot better about my musical endeavors since I gave up on the songwriting thing and I respect anybody who can do it and stick with it. Note to everybody: Be careful when criticizing someone's songs, "fragile, handle with care"
I do like the drumsound myself but I'm surprised you didn't mention the vocal, he's a really great singer as you can see here:
One totally unrelated comment: The mix was done on a vintage API and Tannoy FSM 215 monitors. The thing that gets me is that right before the vocal comes in there's a DC offset click from a fade that somehow didn't get rendered. It stands out like a sore thumb even on Youtube yet it was inaudible through the Tannoys, even at mastering (Duntech souverains) it didn't get fixed, I have no idea why since I was present and would have known what it is if I'd heard it.

Last edited:

mmd

Reaction score
Cool tunes, all!

@Neffco I dig the vibe on your song. It has this grittiness that I can never capture. My stuff always sounds super-produced, lol.

@yeti Your tune has a nice, easy feel. I can picture myself driving with the top down blasting that song. Good job!!

@HogmanA There's nothing ridiculous about that tune. It reminds me of something you'd hear in a "lounge" scene from a movie. The mix - with the vocals so up front - helps that imagery, since in a movie you'd mostly see the vocalist. I dig it!

I'm gonna post a couple because I do to different things as a writer. I have a collaborator that writes lyrics and I make music for his tunes. We're old friends, and had our first band together when we were 7. Our second band ran from 1990 to 2005. We began collaborating again in 2015. A couple times of year we get together in my studio and do 24-48 hour recording sessions. We'll write and demo the songs as we go. Once the demos are done, we'll redo his vocal. From there I'll spend the time needed to flesh out the arrangements and get any players needed to play the parts I can't do.

I may have posted this song before in it's demo state, but here's the finished track. This one was fun because it is the first time I effectively added orchestration to our songs and built what I consider a "bombastic" arrangement.

Funnily enough, as the years have gone on I find myself doing more with keys and synths than I do with guitar. The real excitement for me in this tune was being able to incorporate the "dynamic" elements that make the tune more exciting without worrying about if we could pull it off live.

https://soundcloud.com/user-373381089/broken-angel

I stopped playing live in March of 2018. My health took a downturn and the travel/hours/lifestyle were just too much. A dream of mine has always been able to create "soundtrack" music. These songs, at this point, still follow a pop construct and utilize "heavy" beats, but I m working toward creating some music that doesn't require the percussion to be so dominant. We'll see if I get there, lol....

I tend to go for a "feeling" wen I write these. This one is kind of optimistic, and has NO guitar!! They don't have proper names yet - I title the songs based on the day I wrote them.

https://soundcloud.com/mdenman/12-5-18a

Neffco

Reaction score
Thanks for the appreciation all. I’m doing the singing on that tune as well as the bass. I did have my fingers in how the guitar fit in but that was my good friend Mike Rawles on the guitar.

Mesa 50 cal and a mim 72 tele reissue on that song.

He’s the only guy I know who just picked up the guitar at 30 and got good.

I’m stoked to get home and give y’alls tunes a listen!

Last edited:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This song is a really rough demo - it'll make the engineers here cringe -
Nope. No cringing here. We all know what a demo is. It's not about the engineering, it's about the song. Could be recorded with two tin cans and a string for all I care. The melody, the progression, the vibe of the performance is the deal for me. And this is a nice tune! A kind of classic melody and progression...makes me want to hear it with a nice, lush orchestra.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Cool tunes, all!

@Neffco I dig the vibe on your song. It has this grittiness that I can never capture. My stuff always sounds super-produced, lol.

@yeti Your tune has a nice, easy feel. I can picture myself driving with the top down blasting that song. Good job!!

@HogmanA There's nothing ridiculous about that tune. It reminds me of something you'd hear in a "lounge" scene from a movie. The mix - with the vocals so up front - helps that imagery, since in a movie you'd mostly see the vocalist. I dig it!

I'm gonna post a couple because I do to different things as a writer. I have a collaborator that writes lyrics and I make music for his tunes. We're old friends, and had our first band together when we were 7. Our second band ran from 1990 to 2005. We began collaborating again in 2015. A couple times of year we get together in my studio and do 24-48 hour recording sessions. We'll write and demo the songs as we go. Once the demos are done, we'll redo his vocal. From there I'll spend the time needed to flesh out the arrangements and get any players needed to play the parts I can't do.

I may have posted this song before in it's demo state, but here's the finished track. This one was fun because it is the first time I effectively added orchestration to our songs and built what I consider a "bombastic" arrangement.

Funnily enough, as the years have gone on I find myself doing more with keys and synths than I do with guitar. The real excitement for me in this tune was being able to incorporate the "dynamic" elements that make the tune more exciting without worrying about if we could pull it off live.

https://soundcloud.com/user-373381089/broken-angel

I stopped playing live in March of 2018. My health took a downturn and the travel/hours/lifestyle were just too much. A dream of mine has always been able to create "soundtrack" music. These songs, at this point, still follow a pop construct and utilize "heavy" beats, but I m working toward creating some music that doesn't require the percussion to be so dominant. We'll see if I get there, lol....

I tend to go for a "feeling" wen I write these. This one is kind of optimistic, and has NO guitar!! They don't have proper names yet - I title the songs based on the day I wrote them.

https://soundcloud.com/mdenman/12-5-18a

Solid! Sounds great. Nice vibe and groove. Strange edit cut on the right side at 2:54 for Broken Angel? Just wondering what I'm hearing there.

Rds

Reaction score
I generally prefer to stick to what I'm best at (writing music and arranging) and let others write lyrics, but I wanted to post something I had written all. i was nearly foolish enough to post a demo of me singing something but caught myself in time!

https://soundcloud.com/albatross-with-wafers/ill-be-waiting

This song is a really rough demo - it'll make the engineers here cringe - ha! its not even a demo really - just a sketch of the idea that musically still needed a lot of work, but the song was shelved, however, it's one I quite like.

I am thick skinned enough to take a bashing over the song if it is ridiculous - however, the young lady singing it does a great job despite lyrics and melody needing tweaking and she adds some great embellishments to it.

^
I really liked this idea. It reminds me of some type of 90s 2000s underground indie stuff I've heard among other elements. To my ear music needs to be louder and clearer in the mix around you. But I dug the vocal idea. Good stuff. I like different.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Freddy, it's the only thing I've ever written that I can live with, how sad is that, LOL.
I really feel a lot better about my musical endeavors since I gave up on the songwriting thing and I respect anybody who can do it and stick with it. Note to everybody: Be careful when criticizing someone's songs, "fragile, handle with care"
I do like the drumsound myself but I'm surprised you didn't mention the vocal, he's a really great singer as you can see here:
One totally unrelated comment: The mix was done on a vintage API and Tannoy FSM 215 monitors. The thing that gets me is that right before the vocal comes in there's a DC offset click from a fade that somehow didn't get rendered. It stands out like a sore thumb even on Youtube yet it was inaudible through the Tannoys, even at mastering (Duntech souverains) it didn't get fixed, I have no idea why since I was present and would have known what it is if I'd heard it.
I can't hear the DC offset click! Where exactly is it?

mmd

Reaction score
Solid! Sounds great. Nice vibe and groove. Strange edit cut on the right side at 2:54 for Broken Angel? Just wondering what I'm hearing there.
HAHAHAHA, I was wondering if anybody would hear that. It drives me nuts. Yes, I dropped out too soon on that guitar track. I new that's where I was going to put the lead, and instead of playing then editing after, I just stopped - but it was a hair too soon!!!! Stupid things during early morning sessions....

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Although I haven't done anything in a few years, my music is in my signature. Feel free to listen and comment, but I am not responsible for bleeding eardrums! ;)

yeti

Reaction score
I can't hear the DC offset click! Where exactly is it?
15.5 seconds in, on the 2nd bar (2 count) of the IV chord, it's on the vocal track right before he starts singing, it's not a lipsmack, but an unrendered fade. I always put fades on every region/ clip but this one didn't make it onto the exported tracks for the mixing engineer.
BTW, I just remembered how much you "like" :fingersx: the old ADK Vienna edition mic (LOL), the vocal was cut with it through a GT Brick. I think it turned out pretty good for an el-cheapo . Do you know if the ADK is one of those early chinese mismatched mics (Neumann clone capsule into Schoeps clone amp circuit). I never bothered to find out and am generally happy with the thing but these days I'd probably just use a dynamic, haha.

Last edited: