Post-1972 Jimmy Page Pickup Sound - The ReWind JPPost72 Thread

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
how about some "bow tone?"

You never fail to amaze me with how well you channel the man through your fingers, Jesse!

That freight train of a drummer you have does one mean Bonham, as well!

btw - what's loaded in your double neck, as far as pickups? I just got something special in that nobody knows about yet that might be appropriate. ...not that you need a change, it sounds great! Just interested what you have and what you think of it.

Last edited:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Outstanding!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Here's another fun one!

I love the neck voicing around towards end. That chirpy, metallic, liquidy, vocal greatness! That's the neck sound in my mind and heart.

In the wrong rig, with neck volume on 10, the neck pickup can actually be quite dark - as is Page's own #1! This can be heard in the live recordings where he switches to the neck position with its volume (presumably accidentally) on 10 for a second or two before quickly dialing it back down. BRRRWWAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGRRRR - sounds like the speaker cones are going to fly right through the grill cloth before Page rolls it back!

Last edited:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Here's a JPPost72 Set in a Kauer Daylighter Express Deluxe...

Last edited:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Member Billy4269 just posted this cover of the live Heartbreaker solo done with a ReWind Electric JPPost72 set and, man, did he do a GREAT job!

Last edited:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Just fixed all the links to the Chris Tomaiolo audio clip links.

I still have to fix the audio to @DADGAD 's audio. I just realized that, in addition to the MLP site update breaking all the YouTube links, some reconfiguration of my server broke the audio links. Geez.

I don't know if this one was posted before, it's not actually a Zep cover, but here's a Zep-ish tune from another client, Thron's band. Pro studio recording and it sounds amazing!

ReWind JPPost72 Set Demo - Thorn - Say What You Will

It's truly excellent.

I'll get DAGAD's material fixed as soon as I find my backup, unless he beats me to it.

Last edited:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
@DADGAD - do you happen to have the finished mix downs of the Ramble On cover project we did several years back? I've searched all my drives and I think they must be on my dead RAID array (both mirrored drives died at once on me). I'd love to fix the links for that, as you did such amazing work playing that (and another tune or two, I believe).

DADGAD

Reaction score
Oh gosh. I probably don’t. i may have the raw audio as i had lost my zoom recorder a few years ago and found it after I moved in a drawer. Let me go through the audio and see what’s on there.

Jimi03

Reaction score
I think I started with that set sometime in 2013. The first three in 2012 were the High, Medium and Low outputs, followed by the VLOs and Creme Brûlées. I think the two Page sets came after that.

DADGAD and Jesse Costa had some of the first finalized sets, but there was a batch of about 25 that went to Canada and a number of one-offs even before that. At some point, the neck pickup was revised to be just a hair hotter and the DCR went up, but then I later changed the wire size to be a hair thicker on one coil and the DCR went back down. That's not why I changed the wire, but was an ironic artifact.

Almost every part in the bridge and neck pickups of this set is unique. The only common parts between them are the baseplate, bobbins, and hookup leads. Every other part is different - screws, slugs, wire, coil patterns, magnets, even the black & white coil jumper leads and 4 brass screws on the bottom are different.

For some Vintage Pulls Series orders, the covers were different, too: rounded later-shape chrome on the bridge, more squared off nickel PAF cover on the neck.
Why did you "revise " the neck pickup?
Whats different from the first to what it is now? Im interested

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Why did you "revise " the neck pickup?
Whats different from the first to what it is now? Im interested

If I nailed everything perfectly the first time, I’d be inhuman. When you do a thing a while, you often get better at it.

Any early changes in that set were nearly insignificant. There might be a more significant revision to it coming up, though. I’ve had most of my PAF parts revised, at least a little, some significantly, in the last year for the upcoming 10 year anniversary of ReWind Electric. I can do more with the new revisions.

Jimi03

Reaction score
If I nailed everything perfectly the first time, I’d be inhuman. When you do a thing a while, you often get better at it.

Any early changes in that set were nearly insignificant. There might be a more significant revision to it coming up, though. I’ve had most of my PAF parts revised, at least a little, some significantly, in the last year for the upcoming 10 year anniversary of ReWind Electric. I can do more with the new revisions.
Interesting, anything you can tell me about? What would be different about the post72, and when can we expect this to happen as i am currently looking into geting new pickups for a new les paul?

Latest Threads