Possibly Craziest wiring idea yet.

Neemo

Reaction score
On my 2013 LP std i always felt like the split coils sounded more like P90s than a strat...but when popped the out of phase it got close, but when i want that sound i play my strat....anyway i sold that standard so i could buy an R8 (no split coils)

jvin248

Reaction score

Find the guitarnuts2 forum and the wiring diagram sub-section. There are several Strats with over 400 unique switching options.

What I've found is it's fun to do all the experiments but eventually you find there are only a small few tones you actually use -- but remembering which switching pattern gets you there is often lost.

It's almost better to run shielded cables from each pickup in the guitar out to a box where you mount all the possible switches and knobs. Then after you have the set of tones you want go back and mod the guitar with the small set.

Of course ... it's about this time you find out about all the pedals available and the guitar tone starts to matter a lot less.

It's a fun pursuit. I'd suggest getting a Strat and going to town on loaded pickguards rather than chopping and drilling your prized Les Paul, at least in the beginning.

nortally

Reaction score
Agree with most on this thread, you'll end up using a couple of settings & ignore the others, but if you like to tinker, go for it. The only guitar that I actually use the coil split on is my Squirt 51. I either play just the bridge humbucker, or both pickups with the split which approximates the Strat 'quack' setting.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There are some really nice coil split tones out there these days, generally from much hotter pickups and ones that are wound at least slightly asymmetrically. So pursuing a guitar with great humbucker tone and great single coil tone is definitely worthwhile. Beyond that, it's pretty much overkill in my opinion.

Antigua

Reaction score
One day a customer spotted the "crazy" tele in my workshop, studied it a few minutes and with a strange look in his face dropped the best comment: "So from playing music you changed to playing knobs and buttons!?":thumb:

That sounds like the acoustic guitar purists who got upset when they saw Bob Dylan with a Strat, which had three knobs and selector switch beyond their acosutic guitars. Now the shoe is on the other foot, the Strat is normal, and something with a lot of knobs and switches is heresy.

To the idea that too many switches takes away from the music, Brian May puts lots of switching combos to work with his Red Special. In this video he demonstrates some unusual OOP sounds on songs he recorded with Queen

The same could be said for Hendrix and how he helped popularize the notch positions on the Strat. That forced Fender into stocking Strats with a five way switch.

I don't really have much use for lots of switches myself, but I like most of us are just playing popular rock music that was recorded with stock wiring schemes. If more guitarists had used Red Specials through the decades, we would probably find a lot more use for all those various switches.

Last edited:

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Actually watched that this morning. Screen shotted the cavity and toggle switch cavity, but not sure how much I'll be able to decipher. I feel like it's adhd or something. If I had one of those neat and tidy Seymour Duncan papers then it would be later out enough to where I could copy it. Sadly I found out the hard way that control cavities look nothing like they do on paper in an organized way :lol:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Ok here's my idea

3 humbucker
2 vol
2 tone
6 way freeway switch
3 mini switches (coil split)
3 more mini switches (phase/out of phase)
3 more mini switches (killswitch for each pickup)
6 way varitone Gibson switch
Two thumb stoppers foam pads for treble and bass side (gretsch string mutes)
2 outputs for stereo and mono
Yet ANOTHER mini switch (toggle between piezo bridge or magnetic humbucker)
3 tone switches for each pickup (gretsch mud switches)

Roast me if you wish
GO!

Don't hold back. No MIDI pickup? How about individual whammy bars for each string?!

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Don't hold back. No MIDI pickup? How about individual whammy bars for each string?!

Actually, they DO make palm benders for each individual string for stop tails, bigsby etc. for country tones!

Latest Threads