Possible trade deal - waddaya think?

bblooz

Reaction score
I have my mostly all original Tobacco burst '74 LP Standard up for sale right now (check the Classified forum for details). I have an offer to trade a '72 Dlx GT locally. Really wanted to sell, but thinking this one might be an easier sale down the road. I might just fall in love with it, or put P-90s in it. Thoughts?

kakerlak

Reaction score
Go check it out and see what you think -- you can always walk away.

1981 LPC

Reaction score
All other things being equal, I would think a HB LP Standard draws a larger group of potential buyers than mini-Hb/P90 LP Deluxe.

How that translates to a difference in value/price between the two - not sure. I think the Standard is worth more and will be worth more.

paco1976

Reaction score
All other things being equal, I would think a HB LP Standard draws a larger group of potential buyers than mini-Hb/P90 LP Deluxe.
I think the same.
The Standard '74 is a more desirable guitar than a '72 Deluxe in my book.
I wouldn't do that trade, me.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
since it is a true factory 74 Standard, don't do it unless he thrown in some cash....

those two guitars are about $300-$500 different in value, depending on a couple of things.

can you verify that the GT is actually a 72? Does it have embossed covers?

Last edited:

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember looking at that Standard and liking it. I agree that down the road the Standard would be the more desirable guitar. I had a Standard in that color back in the day....mine was a 76 or 77 I think. Worst mistake I ever made getting rid of that guitar. Would do Montrose, Bad Co. and ZZTop all day long through my Marshall. They a little on the heavy side but they rock. Of course if that Goldtop speaks to you then you have a decision to make. Good luck!!

bblooz

Reaction score
Thanks guys - you know, every time I get a GT Dlx, I end up selling it because I just never warm up to the mini-humbuckers. I love the look and feel of a vintage GT, but like the tone and fuller sound of full-sized HBs. I think I'm going to hold off and keep my eyes peeled for a buggered up GT (i.e. already routed) at a discount. Then I can play around with different PUs to my hearts' content!

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Now that THAT is settled, question of the day.........

Have you ever seen a true, factory 1974 Les Paul Standard that was NOT a Tobacco Burst?

bblooz

Reaction score
Have you ever seen a true, factory 1974 Les Paul Standard that was NOT a Tobacco Burst?
Good question. Not in my wanderings. Would have been cool if they did a GT back then though (or at least a little flame)..............

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
You won’t see any......

All 1974 true factory Standards were Tobacco Burst, to the best of my knowledge.

moreles

Reaction score
Standard for me, please. I like Deluxes a lot -- but Standards more so.