Possible problem with new amp

Reaction score
I hope this is the right place for questions like this. I just got a new VHT Special 6 Ultra from GC (I had a gift certificate). I got a factory restock with full warranty, it looks brand new. My possible problem is that when you sit in front of it it has a wicked hum and a ticking sound like a clock ticking. It does this even with my guitar unplugged. My guitar is a brand new LP Junior Special with P90s. If I walk around the room, the ticking stops sometimes but not always. I tested a lot of things like turning off the lights and making sure there was nothing powered up near it. It's really unacceptable ticking and you want to sit in front of your amp when you practice... Right? Is that normal or should I return it? What would you all do? Thanks guys!

Phildog

Reaction score
I'd return it. It was a factory restock for a reason, but not a reason that you should have to figure out. It sounds like it could be some intense feedback, but why try to remedy it. I'd take it back for an exchange.

randelli

Reaction score
hahhaaaaa!!!

I have encountered this once while working on a guitar, a ticking.......... I searched all over, looked for ground issues, nothing. Then I noticed that if got louder if I had my left arm close to the body. The pickups were 'picking up' my watch and sending it to the amp.

I don't know if this is what is happening with you, but try taking off your watch and see what it does.

Oh, the hum would be normal for sitting in front of the amp with P90's. Try turning 90 degrees and see if it quietens down.

Phildog

Reaction score
hahhaaaaa!!!

I have encountered this once while working on a guitar, a ticking.......... I searched all over, looked for ground issues, nothing. Then I noticed that if got louder if I had my left arm close to the body. The pickups were 'picking up' my watch and sending it to the amp.

I don't know if this is what is happening with you, but try taking off your watch and see what it does.

Oh, the hum would be normal for sitting in front of the amp with P90's. Try turning 90 degrees and see if it quietens down.
WOW! Your watch ticking was being picked up by the amp? I never heard of that happening before.

Comanche

Reaction score
P90's do pick up quite a bit of background noise.

eaglewolf

Reaction score
P90's do pick up quite a bit of background noise.
I can second that, but mine has never done it while unplugged!

It might be an amp issue, though it could also be the wiring in your house. The electrical systems can be abysmal in some homes, and a refrigerator or something else you wouldn't think of might be causing the problem, combined with something about that particular amp that makes it more susceptable to the interference (ticking and hum) you are hearing. I'm assuming you are not using a line conditioner, though that might help. It is just not cheap and doesn't always fix the problem.

David

Luka_Luka!

Reaction score
You got the warranty, it's brand new, it doesn't satisfy you-take it back.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm gonna take it back today I think. That's the room and spot I'm gonna do all of my practicing so whatever I get is gonna have to perform there.... Period. Now... What to get instead���� here we go again!

Dools

Reaction score
hahhaaaaa!!!

That's too funny. My SG picks up my watch if I'm holding it with my left hand and dialing in my amp with my right while sitting down. Had me stumped at first.

I'd return it or try plugging in at a friends house and see if the problem goes away. Good Luck either way. Hope you resolve any issues with the amp

ezra1

Reaction score
In my lifetime I have worn a watch and encountered that ticking phenomenon twice...different amps

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm gonna take it back today I think. That's the room and spot I'm gonna do all of my practicing so whatever I get is gonna have to perform there.... Period. Now... What to get instead���� here we go again!
You could just have a faulty amp, they should replace it if it is faulty?

Have them take a brand new one and run them side by side and see if yours has the hum still there at GC and the new one doesn't. You have the full warranty, so they should replace it if it is faulty and you get a brand new one.

It could be your plug in that room is not grounded properly or something like that. So first things first, see if it does it at GC and if it does they replace it, if it doesn't it could just be that particular amp has interference in your house/that room and maybe a different type of amp does not have inteference in your house/that room.

V2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
hahhaaaaa!!!

Randelli left out one important factoid: his watch is powered by a pair of EL84s!

Reaction score
Returned and bought an Egnater tweaker 15 watt head and a Rebel 112 cab. Soooo glad I did because the sound is incredible. It sounds way better, but guess what? The ticking is still occurring so I have some issue in that room. The humming is a lot less and the overall sound is 1000 times better IMO....

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Returned and bought an Egnater tweaker 15 watt head and a Rebel 112 cab. Soooo glad I did because the sound is incredible. It sounds way better, but guess what? The ticking is still occurring so I have some issue in that room. The humming is a lot less and the overall sound is 1000 times better IMO....
Nice... Yes, that Tweaker is a lot nicer than the VHT. Congrats.

Syn

Reaction score
Do you have your cell phone in your pocket or in the room? The signal received and emitted by it will cause this issue in any type of amp/speaker set-up. If so, this may be why walking around the room sometimes remedies the problem.

Reaction score
Hmmm. I think it has happened when I left it downstairs as well.... I'll definately try to see if that's it though. There is literally almost nothing in this room. It's a spare room over our garage. Could be the water heater directly under where I'm at? I'm going to troubleshoot until I get to the bottom of it for sure. I'm taking my guitar in to get it set up by a pro here soon so that should rule out any wiring issues I hope. Thanks for the ideas.

bluemoon

Reaction score
My cell will creating a periodic ticking in my amp when it automatically checks email, etc.

Latest Threads