Possible issues with my new Les Paul

Dr.Tj

Reaction score
I love my new traditional '18. I have some questions/possible issues.
1: does the toggle switch get loose over time and starts rotating? I found that mine got loose even after tightening and the switch ring won't even stay aligned and keeps moving.
Even the pointers on the pots are a little loose and I don't have a wrench that will get in there.
2: The volume/tone knobs are acting weird. There is no effect on volume/tone at pointer level 1. Faint noise can be heard when the volume knob is at 1.5 but it's doesn't have any character/sounds like it has a loose connection or something. A nice rolled off volume can be heard at 2 position on the pointer. Is something wrong with my pots? Also there's some cracking before I turn it off completely.
3: What are some 'first' OD/Distortion pedals that you recommend for a nice smooth drive?

wilmacat16

Reaction score
1. Over time that has happened to my various guitars, but tightening it properly usually helps. The one time it didn’t (not on a les Paul; an epiphone) my repair person put a washer on to hold that in place. However, I’m not sure if that’ll be a one size fits all solution.
2. I’m not sure I understand. You’re saying that when you roll the volume all the way down, there is no volume?
3. For a “first” more affordable OD, I’d say EHX Soul Food (Klone), or an east river drive (tube screamer copy for a good price).

Dr.Tj

Reaction score
2. I’m not sure I understand. You’re saying that when you roll the volume all the way down, there is no volume?
No... Suppose you rolled the volume all the way down. Try to open it up till the pointer says 1 on the knob. There's still no sound. A little sound can be heard when i get between 1 and 2 a dull sound is there. On 2 it sounds the way it should... Does it make any sense?

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
1. wilmacat16 covered that well. Just tighten the screw.

2. If there is something wrong, you probably got a bad pot. On two separate occasions I have been trying out LP's at the guitar store and a pot just spun round-and-round. Buddy at the store, seemed unphased by the finding.

Perhaps try some deoxit to clean the pot up.

It really shouldn't need it, but like I said earlier, it could also be a bad pot.

3. What to get for a first OD. What kind of amp are you going through ?? If you are like me, and have NO IDEA where to start looking. Pick up a cheap one, any one, used even. At least you will now have something to compare to, and have an opinion on what you want different.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
No... Suppose you rolled the volume all the way down. Try to open it up till the pointer says 1 on the knob. There's still no sound. A little sound can be heard when i get between 1 and 2 a dull sound is there. On 2 it sounds the way it should... Does it make any sense?
I have a feeling that this is the way it actually works.

The Trad will have 50's wiring. I think what you are describing is normal.

wilmacat16

Reaction score
I have a feeling that this is the way it actually works.

The Trad will have 50's wiring. I think what you are describing is normal.
I was going to say, I had a 2017 tribute and it has a little needle thing over the knob, the name of which I have no idea, that shows you exactly what number you are on and as far as I can remember (I no longer have it so I can’t check), it did not go below 1.

Dr.Tj

Reaction score
What kind of amp are you going through ??
I'm running it through a Laney CUB12R I don't find the natural drive heavy enough for me. Well for reference, I wanna go from Guns N' Roses to Metallica heavy. I just wanna sound good to be honest...

wilmacat16

Reaction score
I run the risk of sounding like an idiot but I’m fairly sure it doesn’t go below 1. I mentioned above I vaguely recall this being the case on a tribute I had previously. I’ve since sold it but to be honest I never really look at the numbers when raising or lowering the volume...

Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
You should get the octotool from music nomad its a much better tool for the money than the cheap metal one posted here

I have nothing to say about 2 and 3 good luck :io:

Dash

Reaction score
Pull the knob off, slightly loosen the nut, and move the pointer to where you want it to be. Carefully tighten the nut while holding the pointer in place. It may rotate when you turn the nut. It is also wise to hold the pot in the control cavity while tightening if possible.

wilmacat16

Reaction score

gball

Reaction score
Turned off.
View attachment 352406
No sound. Not even with a cranked amp.
View attachment 352407
Faint sound
View attachment 352408 rolled off sound at 2. View attachment 352409

Now i think it is supposed to be this way only because it happens to both pots but I just wanna be sure.
Yah, pretty much normal. Best advice I can muster here is to adjust the knobs with your ears and not your eyes - the numbers can be deceiving. I am frequently much, much lower on the volume knobs than I would have guessed (like, at 2 on the knob when I coulda sworn I was in the middle somewhere).

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
+1 on the OCD. You'll fall in love with it and keep it for life, which is more than you can say for most objects and pretty much all people.

Never turn anything on a Les Paul down past 6, it's bad for the guitar.

I forget the first issue. Tighten something.

ARandall

Reaction score
2: The volume/tone knobs are acting weird. There is no effect on volume/tone at pointer level 1. Faint noise can be heard when the volume knob is at 1.5 but it's doesn't have any character/sounds like it has a loose connection or something. A nice rolled off volume can be heard at 2 position on the pointer. Is something wrong with my pots? Also there's some cracking before I turn it off completely.
Knobs are mass produced with the numbers at even gaps between figures. Pots are not all the same, and it all depends on the pickup and internal wiring as to what each number represents. It is up to you to learn your guitar and what it does at each volume level - I can't count the amount of variance I have had in tone and drive fitting even the same 2 pickup in various guitars.......

Crackling on the other hand is something that should really not happen in a new pot.