Possible 58-59 Les Paul No Serial No.

Rikky R

Reaction score
Checking in on this thread to see if anything new has happened.

It is frustrating that nothing further came of the French angle story. With no further evidence on that it has to be put to one side I feel.

There is a new source for the London Rock footage - a very short clip from the Kine Library on youtube which is the best quality so far. Anyone who likes Marc Bolan should see it.

Just in case anyone doesn't know it here's a live clip of Twentieth Century Boy with an amazing tone - Les Paul into HH100 amp and Orange cabinet, Rangemaster possibly in the signal chain also. This is the best capture I know of Bolan's guitar tone around 72-73.

Paulg2uk

Reaction score
I've just read some advertising copy for a book by Steve Clarke which claims to have new information about Marc's Les Paul. I will believe it when I read it. But thought I would mention it here in case anyone is still following this thread. https://www.wymeruk.co.uk/webshop/books/rock/various/famous-frets-by-steve-clarke/?fbclid=IwAR1kvvuF8XaVgLI2a8Lp3eNauKACJ3HgPCpBi_ecZXTYFcnjR9Wh2DYA4O0
I was keeping it secret but I think it's about time you all knew. I can confirm the Bolan Les Paul will be in Steve's new book. Steve did visit me last year and had a through look at the guitar. I think you guys will find it very interesting.

Rikky R

Reaction score
Thank you Paul for taking the trouble to post - it is appreciated.

I'd like to just also mention, as a side issue, that the story about the guitar being in France has not been followed up by the person who posted it a few pages back on this long thread.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Well ill say this cool thread and cool looking guitar fake or not- but thats the modern Gibson logo is it not?

Paulg2uk

Reaction score
Thank you Paul for taking the trouble to post - it is appreciated.

I'd like to just also mention, as a side issue, that the story about the guitar being in France has not been followed up by the person who posted it a few pages back on this long thread.
No worries at all, I didn't even know that someone thought the guitar was in France. That was quite sometime ago now back in 2016 way before Steve Clarke got in touch with me. And that comment about Steve trying to contact me is not right. He got in contact in dec 2017 and we made an arrangement to meet up in Jan 2018 so he could check out the guitar.

As for liking the attention that's not true either I'm not bothered who sees the guitar or who doesn't I'm not that sort of person. I think it's only fair people see the guitar after all these years it is suppose to be a part of rock n roll history is it not?

Anyway they haven't backed their claim up as you say so as far as I'm concerned it was all a load of rubbish!.

mapleflame

Reaction score
No worries at all, I didn't even know that someone thought the guitar was in France. That was quite sometime ago now back in 2016 way before Steve Clarke got in touch with me. And that comment about Steve trying to contact me is not right. He got in contact in dec 2017 and we made an arrangement to meet up in Jan 2018 so he could check out the guitar.

As for liking the attention that's not true either I'm not bothered who sees the guitar or who doesn't I'm not that sort of person. I think it's only fair people see the guitar after all these years it is suppose to be a part of rock n roll history is it not?

Anyway they haven't backed their claim up as you say so as far as I'm concerned it was all a load of rubbish!.
Crazy I never saw this thread, especially in how many restorations I've had done on 50's guitars. I'm sorry you had to go through so much with this guitar. Great piece of history. I agree, you should definitely keep this guitar, too much provenance. The neck could have been from a 68 LP, or just made one and used an SG fingerboard. The heel shapes are like 50's Juniors and Specials though. Tough to tell without a clear straight of shot of all the inlays. With our modern Cell phones I bet you could do a great short video like I did with this 69 LP. I bet all of us would love to hear this guitar too. Were you able to repair the bridge post etc...

Last edited:

oldflame

Reaction score
Rikki R. Yeah it's a great clip of Marc. I didn't know it was part of a film, I always assumed it was some kind of brief TV feature. I always found the spiritual side of Marc to be very endearing, and this was something that followed him throughout his recording career, though was somewhat negated by the rock star bravado post '71.

j2tgw. That's interesting that you should have the original prints of the garden pictures. I was assuming these were taken sometime in the 90's - is that correct? It seems a lot of folks knew of the provenance of this guitar. It would be interesting to fill in the details of it's history between 1977 and now. As for any claims by the Bolan/Feld estate I don't think this is at all likely. I did meet Marc's son Rolan and the surviving members of the Feld family about 18 months ago and I discussed this thread with Rolan, and he told me he has no interest in pursuing this. He basically doesn't have the inclination or energy for a protracted legal battle, especially as Rolan, Gloria and the Feld family have been involved in years of legal battles to claim some of Marc's missing millions. The thought of another legal battle is a bridge too far for him. So I think the OP is safe. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since this guitar was originally stolen.

Old Flame. I think you might know a bit more that you can say on here ;-)

KALMIYH

Sorry, been away for a good while so checked out the thread again.

Jungle_Face_ Jake ...

I do man. Finally someone has asked! I haven't seen the guitar since around the early 90's. All the garden photos you see in this thread were taken in a particular guys house and in the same place my photos were taken. At the time I was there, (and I'd been there a fair few times), the Bolan guitar was for sale, a '57 gold top that had a 'burst' makeover and a '53 gold top conversion too (burst) plus some other vintage stuff. The guy who was selling them was well known in the area.

I can tell you that the Bolan guitar wasn't being sold as 'The Bolan Guitar' It was advertised to me as a '60 burst that had been refinished. I don't think he knew anymore than that. Plus he described the other two Lester's as conversions, so there was no funny business.

That's about it. I never saw the guitar again and can only assume that the OP dad bought the guitar some time after I took my shots. I also have shots of the ;57 and the '53 conversions too ('case you wanna see 'em).

Paulg2uk

Reaction score
Crazy I never saw this thread, especially in how many restorations I've had done on 50's guitars. I'm sorry you had to go through so much with this guitar. Great piece of history. I agree, you should definitely keep this guitar, too much provenance. The neck could have been from a 68 LP, or just made one and used an SG fingerboard. Tough to tell without a clear straight of shot of all the inlays. With our modern Cell phones I bet you could do a great short video like I did with this 69 LP. I bet all of us would love to hear this guitar too. Were you able to repair the bridge post etc...
Unfortunately not the bridge posts need repairing. The guitar plays but it's not ideal. Steve Clarke was gonna repair it for me but I just haven't had a chance to go and see him to get it sorted he lives quite far from me.

Paulg2uk

Reaction score
Sorry, been away for a good while so checked out the thread again.

Jungle_Face_ Jake ...

I do man. Finally someone has asked! I haven't seen the guitar since around the early 90's. All the garden photos you see in this thread were taken in a particular guys house and in the same place my photos were taken. At the time I was there, (and I'd been there a fair few times), the Bolan guitar was for sale, a '57 gold top that had a 'burst' makeover and a '53 gold top conversion too (burst) plus some other vintage stuff. The guy who was selling them was well known in the area.

I can tell you that the Bolan guitar wasn't being sold as 'The Bolan Guitar' It was advertised to me as a '60 burst that had been refinished. I don't think he knew anymore than that. Plus he described the other two Lester's as conversions, so there was no funny business.

That's about it. I never saw the guitar again and can only assume that the OP dad bought the guitar some time after I took my shots. I also have shots of the ;57 and the '53 conversions too ('case you wanna see 'em).
I think those original photos were taken in another "Steve's" garden? That's who sold it to my dad in the 90's. Probably around 94" maybe earlier I can't remember.

oldflame

Reaction score
I think those original photos were taken in another "Steve's" garden? That's who sold it to my dad in the 90's. Probably around 94" maybe earlier I can't remember.
Yes that's right Paul, and I thought as much too. The big shed at the bottom of the garden, right? Actually my cousin lives in the same street.

Paulg2uk

Reaction score
Yes that's right Paul, and I thought as much too. The big shed at the bottom of the garden, right? Actually my cousin lives in the same street.
Steve taught me to play guitar back then, always used to take lessons in that shed at the bottom of the garden. The he moved to his shop in Rainham.

oldflame

Reaction score
Steve taught me to play guitar back then, always used to take lessons in that shed at the bottom of the garden. The he moved to his shop in Rainham.
I remember the shop in Rainham too. Long gone now of course.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
What a fantastic and fascinating thread, good to see this guitar in such loved hands and with the same owner since the early-mid 90's. I have taken the time to read through every single page this morning, time well spent!

My Dad was quite into Bolan, and I was born a week after he passed. Think I was just what my Dad needed... September 1977 wasn't the happiest month if you were a guitarist. All the best Paul, hope you can post up a few more photos once you have had the work carried out on it. Regards

Corkscrewhair

Reaction score
What I would love is to see it 'restored' to a playable condition and for someone to be playing it. As a longtime fan and the reason I picked up my first guitar (a les paul goldtop) it would seem a crying shame for it to end up in a display case in hard rock cafe or somewhere similar never being played. Marc's guitar should be rocking.