Possible 58-59 Les Paul No Serial No.

Big John

Don't mess with the cat
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nim, this forum unbelievably full of armchair experts. I originally thought the epicenter was in Honduras, but that was a decoy. It is global.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
You know, while woodgrain is like fingerprints, it's actually never been proven that no two fingerprints are alike. However, of course, the chances are extremely slim so I have to agree that this is 99% proven.

Maybe you guys could help Slash get back his stolen Goldtop! He doesn't say, but it was most likely stolen along with a bunch of other guitars right from his house in LA (including a rare Snakepit LP). The fact that he even has the serial number is a miracle.

"I’m trying to find a Les Paul that I used back in the early 90′s. I’ve since lost track of it. It was an 1989/90 Gibson Goldtop, serial #70854. I always loved that guitar and would be interested in buying it back from whomever has it … I’ll make it worth their while.

If you have any information on the location of this guitar, please email [email protected]"

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
This gentleman has never played through a tube amp before and when disappointed, he wonders if he should go back to his Marshall Valvestate... :wow:

This is a chap passing opinions in a vintage guitar thread.
Just read that whole thread. Reading it with that context attached was even more amusing. Thanks Nimrod.

jerry47

Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLGBxSHdxUc[/ame]

Reaction score
Lots of hot air and armchair experts here, to be expected I suppose.

Cookie-Boy, amongst a few others here, knows what is what and what is not.

He was there.

Thanks for the 'amuse bouche' Cookster. :wave:

However, it amazes me, that we have one member of the 'Peanut Gallery' from page one in this thread, asking all kind of prurient questions, as if he knows what he is actually talking about when discussing 'Bursts' who has started a thread backstage asking if a $200 tube amp is a good buy.

This gentleman has never played through a tube amp before and when disappointed, he wonders if he should go back to his Marshall Valvestate... :wow:

This is a chap passing opinions in a vintage guitar thread.

Someone who has never played a guitar through a new, let alone a vintage tube amp.... who has the temerity to question the bone fides of an apparently somewhat altered vintage guitar, or it's owner, as if he is in a position of knowledge or experience of the whys and wherefores of vintage guitar manufacture in the 50s.

And now pontificating on whether there was/was not a Police report... good grief!

We are doomed.

:sadwave:
haha, oh man. i couldn't agree more with this statement about some of the blow-hards around here.

Jogonmateyboy

Reaction score
Paul, can you contact me asap via famousfrets.com, I have some info re the Bolan guitar

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
hen, and what, given how the guitar has changed since the 70's.
The biggest questions are...the who, w
Some of the inlays look very much like the faux 50's material that was being sold in the 90's.

What kind of neck do I think is on it? The WRONG one. :laugh2:

To me, the only restoration that should be done is back to it's original state.
Why?
From best I can tell, that guitar has had 4 necks on it....at least two (probably 3) while Bolan had it.
I've been a fan forever and actually, that particular photo/guitar turned me on to Les Paul's!
The "violin" quality, if it makes any sense, struck me.

I had been interested/looking into that guitar far before Marc died.
It had its original neck that broke. It was replaced by a "Standard" one with the funny inlay stuff
but only for a brief period and I have never read anything about the reason why it was replaced by the Custom one.
Those are the three "official" necks. It stops there before Marc's death.

For what it's worth and it's just a theory, I thought that Marc might have been disappointed with the new "Standard"
neck and might have asked for the neck from his Custom (pictured in the inside folder from Electric Warrior that looks like a '55)
to be installed on his number one, as there are no pictures of that Black Custom after that period.
But I have never compared the two necks. If anyone wants to test that, you're welcome!:D

The guitar was stolen from a van in front of a studio before Marc's death.
He used a Wine Red Standard after that for live performances.

I guess what we could be left with here is the body and "some stuff".
It's worth what it's worth but I don't think that any restoration will bring that guitar back.
Maybe a "period correct/incorrect :D Custom neck to bring it to when it was most famous?
I don't know.

I'm not sure the OP would be interested in this but so much speculation has been going on as to what year
that guitar was made, I guess some people would "want" to make that famous "Burst" a '58 or '59
but it was a refinished guitar to replicate the Cochran Gretsch finish and it could have been done with an earlier Bigsby Goldtop.

That is another "mystery" element that could be solved if the OP submitted the guitar to a real expert or two or three.

dbwalker

Reaction score
while I've never been A Bolan fan I am a Les Paul fan & a fan of R&R history, I've been following this thread since it started & have not been able to get it out of my mind, I'm curious to see how this all pans out for Paul & the guitar, what he decides to do with it & such, be it get the repairs done & enjoy it or who knows? from all of the posts I'm sure I'm not the only one following this wondering what he will do with it

chasenblues

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how this all pans out for Paul & the guitar, what he decides to do with it & such, be it get the repairs done & enjoy it or who knows? from all of the posts I'm sure I'm not the only one following this wondering what he will do with it
Quite likely we'll never know.

There may be some legal issued here I'm not aware of I'm gonna have to pull the thread sorry guys.

dbwalker

Reaction score
Quite likely we'll never know.
yeah the thread was down for a while and then it came back up, from reading some of the research on here that some people have done regarding the legal end of things, it looks like he shouldn't have anything to worry about

chasenblues

Reaction score
from reading some of the research on here that some people have done regarding the legal end of things, it looks like he shouldn't have anything to worry about
Some of the OP's last post more than month a ago,

I truly believe that it has been too long for any one to make a claim on the guitar and also proving it is another thing. A part of me really regrets putting it up on the forum and the other part of me thinks no people need to see the guitar.

Paul

truetone6

Reaction score
It looks that they are both the same guitar(same wear on finish) but in the newer pictures the finish looks like it has faded and there are now covers on the pickups. When were the first photos added to the Serial log? The OP said his dad has owned the guitar since 94 or 95 but when were the the first set of photos taken?

Someone on another forum said that this guitar was for sale a few years ago.Is that true? Also someone else told me that that the guitar in the first set of photos was discussed on this forum several years ago(presumably when the the photos where added to the serial log). Are there any links to these older discussions?

chasenblues

Reaction score
Also someone else told me that that the guitar in the first set of photos was discussed on this forum several years ago(presumably when the the photos where added to the serial log). Are there any links to these older discussions?
It might be this one,(Btw its actually easier to use google search to find old threads here than using the onsite search function)

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/historics-reissues/270094-remebering-marc-bolan.html

As to when the first 2 pics appeared on Burst serial log the owner is a member of both forums and has posted in this thread, I asked the same question through a PM did not receive an answer.
He either chose not to answer,Doesn't know, or didn't get the PM.

Latest Threads