Possible 58-59 Les Paul No Serial No.

Paulg2uk

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm not sure if anyone on here can help but my Dad's owned and old Les Paul for years. We think its either a 58 or 59 but we aren't sure As I was the only one who actually plays I was interested to know a little more about the guitar.

There isn't a serial no on the back of the head stock unfortunately and I was wondering if there was any other way to identify what year the guitar might be?

Thanks guys

Paul

waboe

Reaction score
The only way to find out is by uploading loads of out of focus pictures and letting the forum argue about it and call you a liar. If you are not a liar we begrudgingly apologize:naughty:

Paulg2uk

Reaction score
The only way to find out is by uploading loads of out of focus pictures and letting the forum argue about it and call you a liar. If you are not a liar we begrudgingly apologize:naughty:
Ha ha that's funny. I'll grab some pics tonight when I'm back from work. Hopefully you guys might be able to help. We shall see.

Cheers
Paul

andreww

Reaction score
My question to you Paul would be what makes you think its a 58 or a 59? When exactly did your dad buy it? Are there any indications of a neck or headstock repair?

THDNUT

Reaction score
One pickup-Junior, 2 pickups-Special. :thumb:

Paulg2uk

Reaction score
My question to you Paul would be what makes you think its a 58 or a 59? When exactly did your dad buy it? Are there any indications of a neck or headstock repair?
It's definitely an old one with what feels like a 58 neck and it has grovers on the head stock so they were obviously changed at some point. I'm not sure but I don't think its the original neck either.

It's hard to know really as you only have info that people have told you. My dad bought it around 94-95 from a guy who owned it. He dealt in guitars but this was his own one for many years. Unfortunately its in need of some work to it the bridge is jacked up so high as through the years the wood has worn away underneath where it sits on one side. It plays but not very well.

I'll post some pics later tonight anyway. I'd be keen to know what you all think.

Thanks again

Paul

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Perhaps you could tell us when your dad bought the guitar? You've been a member here 5 years and know a lot about the VOS/historic stuff. Give us some more background detail ie what is the case like, is there a little bump where the headstock meets the neck and so on...........:slash:

andreww

Reaction score
It's definitely an old one with what feels like a 58 neck and it has grovers on the head stock so they were obviously changed at some point. I'm not sure but I don't think its the original neck either.

It's hard to know really as you only have info that people have told you. My dad bought it around 94-95 from a guy who owned it. He dealt in guitars but this was his own one for many years. Unfortunately its in need of some work to it the bridge is jacked up so high as through the years the wood has worn away underneath where it sits on one side. It plays but not very well.

I'll post some pics later tonight anyway. I'd be keen to know what you all think.

Thanks again

Paul
Is it a Standard we are talking about?

Paulg2uk

Reaction score
This is sort of like the early stages of foreplay. :)

We're sort of messing around on the edges here, when in actual fact we just want to make a bee line for her knickers. :laugh2: :naughty:

:photos::photos::photos::photos:

:D

:cheers2:
Ha ha I was trying to create a build up here. Just uploading some pics sorry my internet connection is really bad tonight its taking forever.

Paulg2uk

Reaction score
Ok here you go guys, some pics for you all to have a look at. Let me know your thoughts.

StuC

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about measuring anything, it doesn't look like a '50s LP from those photos.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
IMO - It's not a Gibson.

Neck joint off.
Logo is wonky
Lower horn doesn't look like it has the correct angle. i.e., the mouth is too "open".
Body carve doesn't look like from the 50s.

Hope I'm wrong.