Poor tone?

afireinside

Reaction score
So here is my conundrum. I have heard of this but never experienced it untill now. Bad/odd tone Les Paul/H150

I own:
- 2014 no weight relief Traditional stock 59 tribute pups. 9.5lb
-2016 Traditional 9 hole relief with sheptone heartbreaker pups. 9.5 lb
-'19 epi 50s standard (unknown mahogany or weight relief) with 57s CTS/swithcraft parts. 9.2lb
-and a older agile 3200 with JB/59 set. Love them all. 9lb
And ive had maybe 5 other gibson LPs of various years

Then just the last few months i have GASed for a new heritage h150.

Nabbed a 2020 chestnut standard 1 pc body no relief 9.lb 6oz SD 59s stock. followed by a 2020 aged h150 dirty lemon 1 pc no relief 8lb 13oz aged cover only? SD 59s. Oh and had a non aged 2020 Dirty Lemon that flame was meh so i retuned it.

The x2 Gibsons, non aged (returned) dirty lemon h150, epi, agile and the Chestunt 150 have similar, but of course different sound profiles. But all have the same underlying punchy, powerful hit you in the chest Les Paul tone, nicely balanced mids and treble, maybe a bit less bass. But just that classic power chord punch.

But my favorite the aged H150 dirty lemon, sexy, nice aging, great neck, crazy flame, great color nice and greenish tint. This one sounds sort of dead in comparison. Has ok sustain, has a certain growl but is much more tame and muddier. Has a lower output no matter pup height or neck or bridge. Setup is dead on, no buzzing or dead frets. Ive lowered and raised the pups. Acoustically it sounds the same sound character as plugged in.

One thing i found that may or may not effect tone, the aged lemons bridge insert holes were drilled too large and with my fingers i can grab and pull them out of the body easy. And with low string tension i can rock the bridge/inserts slighlty.

So do i just have a bad, light, sexy hunk of wood? Is the inserts being loose that much of a effect on the sustain/tone?

afireinside

Reaction score
The bridge sounds just like keefs HONKY LP tone In this intro and solo and my 68 princeton reissue

Thundermtn

Reaction score
There were duds even in '59.

The bridge situation sure as heck isn't helping, and is a qc/warranty issue. Send it back if you can.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
So, is the final question whether a bridge that "can rock slightly" possibly affect sustain? Clearly, the answer to that is "yes", I would surely think.

afireinside

Reaction score
I guess my question is should i try and swap pots/caps? Or am i chasing the dragon wasting time and money

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
I am not the end-all expert here ... but -- if it was me -- the first thing to address would be that bridge issue.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
If it was in a store and you played it, knowing how it sounds and the issue with the bridge, would you buy it?

afireinside

Reaction score
Here are aome quick cruddy playing on my part videos to compare the 2 heritages. Same amps (split stereo a 57 champ and SF champ with a polara reverb only) no changes in any settings or phone location. I also messaged heritage to see if they age the magnets in the aged h150 to weaken them, just a thought i had.

https://flic.kr/p/2kwiTq2

Last edited:

kakerlak

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've never been a fan of SD-59s. To my ears, they always sounded a little bit cloudy/compressed. Really, the only humbuckers from SD that I've liked enough to be satisfied with them were Seths. That doesn't necessarily mean you'll like the guitar with another set of pickups, particularly if you do like the SD59s in another guitar.

Depending on your curiosity level, you might try swapping one of the Gibson sets or the Sheptones into the Heritage to see how much better it does/doesn't sound. The other thing is, since you mentioned not liking the acoustic tone of the guitar that much, you might never be super pleased with any open/honest/acoustic-like pickups and maybe a guitar with less overtones/nuances would be better suited for something higher gain -- old Super Distortions or something. I mean, if you've got six LP-like guitars, it might make sense to have this one set apart a bit more, sonically anyway.

And, in honesty, if you don't like its acoustic tone that much, you'll probably find yourself playing it less than others in unplugged, noodle around the house scenarios. If that's the case, then might as well make it a specialty tool. Or sell it off.

I wonder what would happen if you try warranty returning it for the bridge issue. That's legit bad QC -- would they offer an exchange if you said it needs repaired, you don't want to wait, and you are less than satisfied with it in a larger sense?

As for tone, I wouldn't expect the bridge issue to make a huge difference, either way. I like the notion of solid ABR studs going straight into the wood, but thinking in practical/physical terms, there's so much downward force on the bridge when strung to pitch that it probably doesn't matter too much. I mean, consider how loose the bridge itself is on its posts or that the entire bridge and base is floating on an archtop. But it's still sloppy work and the inserts shouldn't be at risk of falling out during string changes.

afireinside

Reaction score
Ok so i did a experiment.

The wife and i like alot of the same music. The classics (floyd, doors, zep ect) to 80s/90s (AIC, pumpkins, tool) more modern stuff (manchester orchestra, The Dear Hunter (not Deer hunter thats another band)

She also hates the constant buying and selling.

So 2 rooms away I A and B'd the 2 heritages for her, about 30 seconds each. No change in settings 65 Princeton reissue reverb.

Immediately her own words were the B (chestnut) was very dynamic and punchy sounding. While A (aged) was dead and flat sounding no comparison.

So back the aged will go....

moreles

Reaction score
Wow -- incomprehensible post. Bottom line: why on earth buy any guitar with an unstable bridge? It's the freaking briage! Who cares what color, neck, pickups, etc. It's screwed up at one of the moist basic and fundamental points of the build. As for the rest of the post, the word salad about sound and appearance and feel makes any sound analysis impossible. All I can add is that Seth Lovers are fantastic and IMO the best of the SD line for fundamental LP use. Oh -- Heritages are not Les Pauls.

Latest Threads