Poor man's Kemper...??

ricky1918

Reaction score
Ok guys so I open this thread as I've not seen one already

last night Mooer launched their iOs app "GE Labs".
It's a pretty standard app, stuff I don't usually am hyped for and frankly I don't care about most of the pedals and amps they put.

The points is: THEY ADDED A PROFILE SECTION

so you can profile your ods, your preamp, you cab or your entire setup.
From the videos I've seen, it's pretty much like the kemper process.

To profile you need at least a 2 input 2 output soundcard.

unfortunately I have an iPad but I don't have the sound card and camera connector to test it out myself, so go check that out!

KenG

Reaction score
One of the reasons Kemper does so well is it has something like four complete amp circuits in it and based on the profile taken, the unit selects the appropriate cct and tweeks the settings in it. I seriously doubt anyone else has done this.

ricky1918

Reaction score
I'd love to test it out myself but don't have the necessary gear with me at the moment

I was hoping somebody that has a Mooer GE or an iPad with interface could test it out.. On Mooer studio website there are already 80 profiles made

Dheran

Reaction score
Well, I've tried it. It's awesome.

I've got and old iPad mini 2 (not the fastest iPad or there), and tried it with a Zoom U-44 interface. Profiled my Mesa boogie studio 22 plus.

Incredible. I think they have implemented some Kemper style algorithm, It sends noises to the amp, the mic picks them... And that's it. Your amp sounding amazingly. You have to do 2 or 3 tries to get the better mic position, but it's easy because the app has a button that lets you make A/B checking of real amp vs profile just before you validate it, si you can repeat the process until you find both to be really similar. A little change in mic position can do a huge effect in profile quality.

I had a Helix LT... And got so blown away that I sold it. I just felt more amp like playing through the iPad (never happened that before with any software, except Mercuriall Reaxis, which I find the best amp sim by a long shot).

Also, there are lots of free profiles in mooer cloud, some are good, other not so much, but it's plenty of tones.

And even more... You can load those profiles in their hardware pedalboards. With this sound and this feeling, I find hard to justify buying a pedalboard more expensive than GE300, really. And don't misunderstand me... I LOVED my helix... It does it all, it's extremely easy to use, frequent fantastic updates, and sounded great... But there was something lacking that I didn't really understand. I used it in 4cm with my amp and felt like it did something to the feeling... i don't know.

fleahead

Reaction score
I had the GE200, liked it, wanted a few more features and got the GE250, and at $325 which was about the best money I've ever spent in 45 years of playing. Recording is so easy, just dialing profiles/patches depending on the instrument I'm playing and what the song needs. Stupid easy. I use the Mooer Baby Bomb 30watt digital amp, a $20 Klon Gold clone that we A/B'd against a real one..... total $450. Runs into a 2-12" open back with non-matching Warehouse speakers, and direct into my board.

Did I say stupid easy? And versatile.
0825201449~2 copy.jpg

Dheran

Reaction score
I had the GE200, liked it, wanted a few more features and got the GE250, and at $325 which was about the best money I've ever spent in 45 years of playing. Recording is so easy, just dialing profiles/patches depending on the instrument I'm playing and what the song needs. Stupid easy. I use the Mooer Baby Bomb 30watt digital amp, a $20 Klon Gold clone that we A/B'd against a real one..... total $450. Runs into a 2-12" open back with non-matching Warehouse speakers, and direct into my board.

Did I say stupid easy? And versatile.
View attachment 505604
Great setup!

Hey, by the way... I've profiled my amp AND my drive pedals (a TS, a BD and a RAT). And also my amp with those pedals included. Profiles for everything. I tell you because you could even profile your Klon and take it away from the fx loop of the GE250.

Latest Threads