Pondering my next Gibson…which one?

InTheEvening

Reaction score
So I’m looking at getting another Gibson. I’ve got two Les Pauls that I love (a standard 60’s and a studio). So I want to get something a little different. I know they’re all good and I’ll have to try them myself but I always like hearing some opinions on here.

I spent the day searching around.

1) I found a used sunburst Les Paul Junior for $750 which I thought was a great deal considering they’re $1600 new. Gonna try that out tomorrow. Never had a p90 guitar and it’s the cheapest/best deal I found. Leaning towards this if I love the guitar. I tried several SG Juniors today but didn’t bond with them.

2) SG standard 61. A little pricey at $1500 used but I played it today and was blown away. Never had an SG before either. But will it sound too similar to my standard 60’s LP with the same pickups?

3) The new SG Raven. Haven’t found one to try yet but at $1100 new it’s not too pricey and looks cool in a black. The hotter pickups seem cool too. But def doesn’t look to be same quality as the standard models.

4) Regular SG standard, which they have for $1100 used. How does it stack up to the standard 61? Does this have the PCB board or is it hand wired like the 61 model? I like the look of the batwing pickguard more.

Which one would you recommend or get?

Last edited:

truckermde

Reaction score
Wow. Those are all good choices.

I really dig that SG Raven, and I usually don't go for the Tribute line.

However, I think my first choice would be the '61 reissue, just between you & me.

Good thing is, you can't loose with any one of those!!

:cheers2:

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Find a second hand SG Classic.

I’ve had many SG in the past, vintage and modern, ranging from 1963-2021 which include Junior, Special, Standard, SG ‘61 RI. The SG Classic is by far my favorite.

2004 and 2006 SG Classic
Neck: Gibson P-90
Bridge: Kinman Hx Nasty 90 Heavy

Last edited:

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Wow. Those are all good choices.

I really dig that SG Raven, and I usually don't go for the Tribute line.

However, I think my first choice would be the '61 reissue, just between you & me.

Good thing is, you can't loose with any one of those!!

:cheers2:
Thanks for the input! For sure, I’m having a hard time deciding now cause all of them seem cool.

The 61 was definitely the winner today. I didn’t want to put it down. Will be fun to see how the LP Junior does when I try it tomorrow.

Wait- You found a used Junior for $750 and you are asking all this instead of a new guitar day post?
Haha don’t worry, that post will be coming soon. I ordered it from another store location. So I’ll get to check it out and try it tomorrow. I’m really hoping I like it. That price is hard to beat in the current market and I’ve been itching to get a p90 guitar for a while.

Find a second hand SG Classic.

I’ve had many SG in the past, vintage and modern, ranging from 1963-2021 which include Junior, Special, Standard, SG ‘61 RI. The SG Classic is by far my favorite.

2004 and 2006 SG Classic
Neck: Gibson P-90
Bridge: Kinman Hx Nasty 90 Heavy

Wow, those are stunning. I was hoping to try an SG with p90’s today but couldn’t my find one. This would def be the best of both worlds, I’d get to have p90’s and a new SG. Will keep a lookout if one pops up where I can try it.

Last edited:

dmac in SC

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Save up and get a LP Modern, that is if you can find one. It will scratch just about every Gibson itch you could ever have.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't find SGs with humbuckers to be too sonically redundant with LPs. They have their own thing going on. Those 61s are phenomenal guitars.

P-90s are great though, and would occupy new territory within your herd. Juniors are badass, no-nonsense rock machines.

Get both?

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
I love my 2021 SG Standard, which I also got for $1100. However, I didn’t like the pickups so I replaced the PCB board with an Emerson wiring harness and put in BB Pros. I also didn’t like the fact that it comes with a soft case so I sold that on eBay and bought a Gator case for it. In the end, I probably would have spent the same if I had just sprung for the SG 61. I do think it sounds different than my two LPs and it certainly feels different!

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Update! The Junior came and I got to try it. Wow, it surprised me. Plays and sound as nice as the SG I tried. But what is the fretboard here? Baked maple? Obeche? Ebony? It’s the 2011 model. Pics below. :) How are the 2011 LPJ in general? I know the 2015 isn’t too popular and the current ones are well regarded.

Not gonna lie, this dark fretboard with the tobacco burst finish is gorgeous. I don’t know if I want to let this one go for the SG now.

Save up and get a LP Modern, that is if you can find one. It will scratch just about every Gibson itch you could ever have.
You know, the Modern has always caught my attention. Mainly cause I love the pelham blue finish but those switch options looks cool. I really liked the phase switch on the traditional pro model. What do you like most about them?
Little above my budget now but I’m hoping to make a bigger purchase in a few months if things work out.

I don't find SGs with humbuckers to be too sonically redundant with LPs. They have their own thing going on. Those 61s are phenomenal guitars.

P-90s are great though, and would occupy new territory within your herd. Juniors are badass, no-nonsense rock machines.

Get both?
Haha I’m 90% sure I’m gonna eventually have both. I guess I just have to decide which one I’ll get now. Nice to know the SGs do their own thing sonically. I felt like it sounded different from my LP in the store, but didn’t directly AB them and thought it might have been in my head.

The junior just came in! Man it’s just as nice as the SG. I might just toss a coin. Though the juniors are pretty hard to find, so I might go with the Junior for now.

I love my 2021 SG Standard, which I also got for $1100. However, I didn’t like the pickups so I replaced the PCB board with an Emerson wiring harness and put in BB Pros. I also didn’t like the fact that it comes with a soft case so I sold that on eBay and bought a Gator case for it. In the end, I probably would have spent the same if I had just sprung for the SG 61. I do think it sounds different than my two LPs and it certainly feels different!
Yeah I’m thinking features and specs, the 61 suits more of what I want. The only thing I like more on the standard is the pickguard, but that’s purely cosmetic. Good to know the SG is different enough from the LP. More reason to get one in my collection.

Last edited:

dmac in SC

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote [What do you like most about them? ]

The incredible variety of tones that are possible with the split coils... and just the overall quality in general. Best LP I've put my hands on

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Wait- You found a used Junior for $750 and you are asking all this instead of a new guitar day post?
Arrived today, will be taking it to AB with the SG in the store. But I’m not gonna lie, I’m loving the junior. Especially the darker fretboard, I think it’s baked maple.

Quote [What do you like most about them? ]

The incredible variety of tones that are possible with the split coils... and just the overall quality in general. Best LP I've put my hands on
I’ll give it a try next time in the store. Looked at the specs again…I love that it has an ebony board. I recently played the trad pro V model and really liked the switching options.

endial

Reaction score
Yo, that fretboard looks sweet. Seriously, if you let it go, you'll beat yourself up for it down the road, 'cause you'll never find another when you want to, and certainly not at that price. Hang on to it for three/four years and if you're not still in love with it (you will be soon) you can unload it for some extra coin, I'd wager.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
For me, I have a hard time living in the confined world of a one-pickup guitar. If the LP Jr has a single pickup, I would move on from it even though they are very cool guitars and the price is so good. SGs are very different than Les Pauls ... get the SG 61 and call it a day. There is nothing like having a killer top-tier SG.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Yo, that fretboard looks sweet. Seriously, if you let it go, you'll beat yourself up for it down the road, 'cause you'll never find another when you want to, and certainly not at that price. Hang on to it for three/four years and if you're not still in love with it (you will be soon) you can unload it for some extra coin, I'd wager.
Thanks! I’m seriously leaning towards keeping it. Not only do I LOVE the look, but it plays so well. I’m def already starting to fall in love with it.
I did get a 15% off coupon form GC, so I might keep this and get the SG too. I could def sell some other guitars to fund both.

For me, I have a hard time living in the confined world of a one-pickup guitar. If the LP Jr has a single pickup, I would move on from it even though they are very cool guitars and the price is so good. SGs are very different than Les Pauls ... get the SG 61 and call it a day. There is nothing like having a killer top-tier SG.
Im gonna go back and AB both. I love the junior so far but I can’t get the SG out of my mind. Like you said, there’s def something special about the SG. If I don’t get it right now, I have a feeling I’m gonna get the SG too in the next few months and end up with both. I’ve been looking to trade in or sell some of my other guitars and there’s some good deals and sales coming up.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Classic or sg is required in ur stable…maybe an 18 classic with p90s

everyone needs 1 p90 in the stable
i actually put minis in my sg

anyhow, another vote for SG or 18 classic

2527F707-85E8-4992-8191-F70EE8EB4B08.jpeg

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Going back to the store tomorrow. Seems the LPJ is missing an intonation screw...might be a deal breaker if I can't easily find a replacement screw.

Of course, a 2020 LP Junior popped up for $1100. Not as good of a deal but seems like a good price for a 2020 model with proper rosewood fretboard and orange drop caps etc. Is the 2020 model that much better than the older ones like the 2011? I can't imagine there's much difference other than the baked maple fretboard on the 2011 vs. rosewood on the 2020.

Will play the SG again tomorrow. I got a 15% off coupon the other day...so I could get a brand new SG special, or SG Junior with free shipping and a discount which would bring the cost down to around $1200 or so for a brand new axe and hard case.

Man I can't decide! Keep the 2011 Junior or spend a few hundred more for the newer 2020 models. Hopefully they'll have the intonation screws for it.

endial

Reaction score
Those grub screws should be available at your local hardware store. Kind of a silly reason to take it back, don'tcha think?

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Those grub screws should be available at your local hardware store. Kind of a silly reason to take it back, don'tcha think?
If it’s really easy to replace, no. That alone wouldn’t the reason I would return. And I was able to get a grub screw, the tech had some extra in the GC. So problem solved.

Trying out a few more axes this weekend, I’ll only return it if I find a guitar I like more in terms of sound and playability. Certainly not over the screw. It’ll be hard to beat this junior though. Anyone compare these older 2011 model to the newer 2020 ones? Other than the baked maple fretboard, and different neck profiles, is there much difference or one consider better overall? I’m just curious cause I’m trying out a 2020 LP Jr. soon and it’s pricer than this 2011.

Latest Threads