Polyurethane finish bubbled and lifted help.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
I’ve never regretted anything when it comes to reliving a guitar. I’m not a poser, I just like the broken in look, aged old look, and honestly it feels pretty good not having to worry about damaging the finish.
Anyway, I was doing this relicing trick on my les Paul. It’s been on this website a few times. Epi les Paul custom. The truck is to heat up the finish very hot, then very quickly freeze it with one of those keyboard dusting bottles. With nitro it would crack and look pretty good, but with Polly, it’s nothing like that. It just looks like if the guitar was fat and it lost weight and you tried smushing it back together. Basically like finish checking only not as dramatic, and instead of crevices in the finish, you actually feel lines poking AWAY from the guitar.
Anyways I go to do this and silly me, I didn’t have the aerosol can. So instead of stopping and getting one, I simply continue to burn the clear of my freshly refinished poly Paul. It didn’t crack. No it did not. But it formed three huge bubbles. I can push each one down like bubble wrap. The two fixes I’m thinking of are this.
Number one I could hear the finish back up, except this time when it begins to melt and bubble I push it down maybe with some modeling clay so it copies the shape of the carve top and evens back out enough for me to do a light sand and buff

or two, I quit being a baby, get an exacto knife and cut out the lifted poly and just rebuild the finish back up until I can level out and smooth. Thoughts? Warnings? Scolds? Jokes? I’ll take what I can get. I don’t regret the relic I just regret not doing it RIGHT. I gotta admit tho, it IS pretty satisfying to have your own personal bubble wrap pad to play with while I’m thinking of licks and noodles. Here’s a picture for reference. And sorry for rambling. I do that a lot. As if you guys couldn’t tell from the last couple years:sadwave:

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Ok I’m an idiot. Loaded up all the photos and didn’t hit reply.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Also when I push it down with my thumb, the poly with touch the body and make an awful noise. Like you’re pulling two pieces of glued plastic apart but quieter and less dramatic.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
I think what I’ve decided to do is puncture the bubbles with an exacto knife and gradually carve outward until I get to where it doesn’t lift and is sealed to the body. Once I do that, I’m gonna mix some thinned poly and dip a folded paper towel corner in it and touch it to the guitar while it’s soaked. Basically an altered version of drop filling. I’ll do that and build up the layers until it is right above the cured finish or level and buff and sand until it is even and hand polish with some peavey branded compound I got. I’ll either add to this or make a part 2 thread for the follow up

LuthierVandross

Reaction score
I think what I’ve decided to do is puncture the bubbles with an exacto knife and gradually carve outward until I get to where it doesn’t lift and is sealed to the body. Once I do that, I’m gonna mix some thinned poly and dip a folded paper towel corner in it and touch it to the guitar while it’s soaked. Basically an altered version of drop filling. I’ll do that and build up the layers until it is right above the cured finish or level and buff and sand until it is even and hand polish with some peavey branded compound I got. I’ll either add to this or make a part 2 thread for the follow up
This saddens me.... it’s so much cooler to strip it and get the relic feel with the look. Just my $0.02

moreles

Reaction score
I'd do a refin. If you don't carte what it looks like, that's fine and some hillbilly shortcutting might satisfy you and if so, fine. Personally, I think it looks damaged, which is not attractive, and sort-of-hidden damage usually looks worse, IMO, than damage, so good luck with the cutting and melting and mooshing. I'm sorry you've got a mess on your hands.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
F87773C4-FAC9-4446-AF63-BF7775305210.jpeg

I already know this is going to disgust most of you, but you guys notice a problem here? I had suspicions once I put a crack in my finish when I pulled a bridge stud but I guess this proves it. This was a custom ebony solid finish. You know like the standard custom with gold and all that. I refinished this a while ago and was surprised to find ebony stain on maple instead of a black or white base coat/ primer. Months went on, and not only is this a pointless ebony stain under solid black, it’s also a pointless plain maple veneer under a black finish. Any reason for this? Am I missing something? I thought a custom was all solid mahogany but I just figured that they skipped that since it was an epiphone. But a maple veneer? A plain top? Confusion.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
98499AAC-D46F-4731-98A9-3030E8E71E79.jpeg

phase 2. I took some polyurethane and thinned it about 2 parts poly to 1 part spirits. Dipped a paper towel corner in the jar and hovered over the “scratch” and squeezed drops of poly out. Needs to circulate, dry, and by time I build right over the previous finish, I’ll wait for it to cure (hard enough to where my thumbnail won’t dent it) and I’ll sand lightly to level out and hand buff with compound.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
This is also bare wood, so I’m hoping the spirits will helps the poly soak into the pores of the wood in this coat, that way I don’t have to worry about future excess cracking and or wood splitting

Who

Well respected man about town
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Davey Rock , I like the cut of your jib.

When you get famous, kids will be trying to figure out how to get the finish you have.

It’s your guitar.... rock it to death.

Latest Threads