polytone mega brute...any info or ideas

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I can now pick up a polytone mega brute for $365...not as sure on that one...great small size but I do not like it as much as the mini brute....also, it doesn't look like the pics I have seen so I belive it is older and I can only find info about the mega brutes made after about 2000 so????

mattymel

Reaction score
not to discourage, but is it really worth it? i know the "jazz amp" scene all too well. everybody swears by their polytones, and their jazz choruses, or maybe a twin (heavy, heavier, heaviest). ive even been on the jazz guitar forum and read guys going on and on about how great their Roland Cube is for jazz!!!??? are they serious?

what i have basically come to is that 90% of jazzers dont know shit about amps (and im not saying you are in that number!). even guys that can play their asses off. and thats fine. i just think its kind of interesting when you typically need to spend like $3000+ for a decent archtop, skimping on the amps is tempting. but come on...lets be honest...

i have owned a few polytones. the one thing they have going for them as far as im concerned is that you get them used for under $400 any day of the week. cheap by my standards, so its possible to justify. but what are we really paying for?

the reverb is just passable, the "distortion" is horrid joke, the brute really aint light, and the speakers fart out if you really push them, and in a BAD way. in my opinion, polytone makes pretty crap amps and manages to keep selling them to jazzers because they always have and they figure brutes are "good enough" and everybody else uses them. its a working man's amp that nobody really loves...at least i never did.

but if you are a guy that plays rock too and has a REAL amp, you CANT GO BACK to the brute! that thing is a $400 slap in the face.

the thing is, you can get a solid state used peavey for like $60 and im just going to come out and say it...they sound pretty much just as good. ive seen some dudes playing some peaveys from the 80s with the cheesy blue knobs and sound great. i saw bobby broome playing one and it was killin. i know another guy that uses one just because he keeps it in the trunk of his car and it never breaks and if it does....oh well. mainly in towns where you need to get around and you arent risking taking a $1000 henrikson on the subway AND your $3000+ box.

its not my thing, i like tube amps for anything, but the standard SS jazz sound aint hard to get with a decent old ass SS $100 amp. for me, when im playing a crazy $$$ archtop, im looking to find something that complements that. but im not going to go nuts over a polytone. i just figure, if im going to skimp on the polytone, im going to skimp ALL THE WAY. all this ranting has me thinking about investing in a peavey and leaving it in the closet of every gig i have...1 polytone...thats like at least 3 peaveys.

if you want to hear what a polytone SHOULD sound like, check out the henriksons...they are like a grand, but they are FOR JAZZ. other sleeper jazz amos are the old music mans. they are getting harder to find and a little more pricey, but they will take you further than the brute. best of luck!

kaatwang

Reaction score
I guess it's time to dig out my old polytone. I's an old 103 from i'm guessing mid '70s, since i bought it used around 1980 for a hundred bucks. As far as tone goes, it seems a bit flat and sterile. Don't even pull that groovy red distortion knob. If you like sounding like a bunch of angry bees then go ahead. That sound is just horrid.
However on the plus side: It's a hell of a lot lighter than my fender twin, super cool retro (not retro when it was built) cubed foam grill cloth, passable clean sounds. Also, the 15" woofer gave it some depth in stead of sounding like a dixie cup.
Jazz choruses seem to have a smoother well rounded sound, at least to me. Maybe i'll get it out of the folks attic and see what 20 yrs of sitting idle has done. I hope it dosen't turn into a 20 yr old bottle of Boone's Farm...

Grand Pappy

Reaction score
I had a little Mini Brute in the mid 80's. I had a 2 year old, another on the way. I had just moved across the country and had to sell all my stuff and I had no job!!! It was all I could afford @ the time. It was a fun little amp, with cheesy fake velore covering.
I think I paid $100 for it almost new. I haven't seen any Polytone amps in 20 years.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
thank you all very much...I did play the polytone a few times....and I have to say that I think it sounds almost good....it doesn't really have a soild round tone..close but not fully there...the mega brute is small...8inch speaker and it gets loud but, your right if you hit the speaker too hard it starts to sound really bad...I really like the idea of having such a small and loud amp but the tone is not there for the price....I guess the fond memeory of my jazz classes are clouding my perception..

now this does look good: Jazz Guitar Amplifier: Henriksen Jazz Amp: light, powerful, inexpensive, small, jazz guitar amplifier

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMeuo0oSqKU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMeuo0oSqKU[/ame]

river251

Reaction score
kaatwang, I wonder if you might want to sell your polytone?

Thanks.

river251

Reaction score
thank you all very much...I did play the polytone a few times....and I have to say that I think it sounds almost good....it doesn't really have a soild round tone..close but not fully there...the mega brute is small...8inch speaker and it gets loud but, your right if you hit the speaker too hard it starts to sound really bad...I really like the idea of having such a small and loud amp but the tone is not there for the price....I guess the fond memeory of my jazz classes are clouding my perception..

now this does look good: Jazz Guitar Amplifier: Henriksen Jazz Amp: light, powerful, inexpensive, small, jazz guitar amplifier

YouTube - Henriksen JazzAmp 110 Demo

You can't get a Henrickson with real reverb. The digital reverb is weak and IMHO, well, digital.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Omg.... wow... it took me this long to get a used Henriksen at a decent price. 110 er. Yes the verb sucks, but it is nice to have it there if needed.

The next question is can I force the amp to cover more ground then typical. People say: No. I say with the right pedals and attitude anything is possible or maybe not.

Speaker replacement? Jenson 100watt Blackbird at 16ohms... (the jazzamp is 8ohms)... the question will be asked and answered. At least for me.

(I reread your post mattymel: wise words)

el84ster

Reaction score
The greatest jazz sound I’ve ever heard is from the early ampeg combos. Mercury, Gemini, reverberocket, etc. man! They were made to go with arch tops and you can hear it. so good!
there’s a reason they were THE amp for the east coast jazz heavies.

and I second the opinion above that poly tones are awful. And for some reason most modern jazz players have lost all sense of what good tone is.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I look around at the old Ampeg amps. I think a lot of the run a power tube that I am not familiar with. Some people said that tube can be microphonic, some said they have not experienced that problem. If I ever see an old Ampeg amp, I will check it out.

As far as the Jazzamp, it worked excellent at the last rehearsal. I could not of been happier. (I am using it as the dry amp in a wet/dry/wet setup. The wet amps are zt lunchboxes. Not the best for fx but I can carry everything in one trip).

As far as dirt goes, the JA seems to sound fine to me.... it is not a tube so it lacks the depth and softness. I am using a revival drive and a couple of different fuzz pedal. Doing the second rehearsal with the JA tonight so we will see how it works again.

Latest Threads