Poly checking on a 71 LP ? pics, opinions wanted

judson

Reaction score
so this morning im playing a 71 lp project i bought a few months back and look down and see the sun is hitting it and a ton of spider checking is there but not even, more just in sections.

the seller i bought it from said it was stripped and coated in polyurathane.. i thought poly would not crack like nitro?

i wanted to lightly sand this sheen off and maybe give it a clear coat of laquer and leave it alone..there are parts that are already dull but others still have a sheen to it

there are other issues that need addressing ahead of the finish but i was somewhat surpised at all the very fine checking that isnt really noticable from 4 feet away just if you look close...:dunno:

if i sand with extra fine grit to knock the sheen off, will the checking leave? nothing on the back at all just the top looks like he put the poly on

your thoughts are appreciated...thanks

IMG_20190210_094117990.jpg
IMG_20190210_094555524.jpg
IMG_20190210_094521281.jpg

Attachments

B. Howard

Premium Member
Reaction score
Most modern poly will craze like that when the maximum coating thickness is exceeded, so it was likely put on much too thick....

Overs-paraying with lacquer or anything else will not make the crazing disappear and may in fact make it stand out more by turning the cracks either white or black.

Dilver

Reaction score
lots if people pay for checking like that... be happy with it.

endial

Reaction score
IF it's the case he stripped it, he my have neglected to wipe it down with lacquer thinner or acetone, leaving traces of the lacquer on the wood. Poly over light areas that still have lacquer might just do something like that.

Edit: It DOES look really cool. So-

lunchbox

Reaction score
I’ve had poly chip off and separate from the body in bubbles (late ‘70’s Matsumoko Vantage VS650), but I’ve never seen it check like that. I don’t believe that is poly.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
As it was explained to me buy a serious plastics guy, the molecules in plastic line up in long, straight chains.
That's why some plastics, like candy wrappers, tear easily in one direction, but not the other.
The only poly "checking" I've seen is long straight lines all going in the same direction.
There was a custom painter I knew who did "crackle" paint jobs where the top coat would crack in all directions and reveal the bottom coat.
I think this was done with synthetic/plastic-based paints.
Whatever it is....as said...leave it. It looks great!

malcostuart

Reaction score
it's gained character ! love it. it's just what I'd like on a gold top, or any other actually. thanks for the eye candy !

judson

Reaction score
thanks for the coments,

so if i lightly sanded and coated with laquer i was hoping thr checking would come thru more maybe??

as you really dont see the checking from 2 or 3 feet away like in this pic

i took the picguard off to see underneath is the second pic

i think it was a cherryburst before from looking in the cavity, pots date late 1970

neck binding removed and sanded thin, refret cuts my finger bad, toggle holes suck but plays great ....

it has other issues i need to adress first as i mentioned but the checking caught my eye

yesterday

IMG_20190210_094430376_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190210_093951561_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180907_095216855_HDR[1].jpg
IMG_20190210_094430376_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190210_093951561_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
Maybe test in a pick up route or under the switch chip, put a drop of acetone on it an see if it softens the finish. If it is poly acetone wont do anything to it but if it is nitro it will soften it. Tread carefully though cause if it is nitro and you get the acetone anywhere you dont want it your gonna have a bad time.

judson

Reaction score
Maybe test in a pick up route or under the switch chip, put a drop of acetone on it an see if it softens the finish. If it is poly acetone wont do anything to it but if it is nitro it will soften it. Tread carefully though cause if it is nitro and you get the acetone anywhere you dont want it your gonna have a bad time.
thats a thought but maybe just a light sanding under the rings or pokerchip....

i know what acetone can do as i use it too often really some would say :)

its gonna take time to get all the other issues straightened out before i put any serious concern into the finish but it was something i just discovered and i bought this a few months back...yes its sort of cool...

malcostuart

Reaction score
:slap:Thanks for the extra uploads, they only go to show just what a beutiful colour that top is ! So unique. The only alterations I'd do to that guitar is put some cream P90s replacement pups in. Maybe it's still a good guitar even if painted green or red but the top just wouldn't be the same. It's a unique colour , a one of a kind, things like that aren't manufactured. Just keep it clean and play it often. Thanks again:acoustic:

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
thanks for the coments,

so if i lightly sanded and coated with laquer i was hoping thr checking would come thru more maybe??

as you really dont see the checking from 2 or 3 feet away like in this pic
So...you're thinking about risky things to do to your guitar so your checking can be seen from further away.
Is that accurate?