Poll: The Greatest Guitarist of All Time, Round 5 Jimi Hendrix Vs. Stevie Ray Vaughan

Who in your opinion is better?

• Jimi Hendrix

Votes: 37 64.9%
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan

Votes: 20 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ledzepp2122

Reaction score
Welcome to the Elite 8 portion of our first-ever Greatest Guitarist poll!
It all started a few months back, when 128 132 guitarists went head to head, round by round, in a bracketed format. We filled all but four of the slots with the names of incredible guitarists (dead and living) — players chosen for their technical ability as well as their importance and creativity, not to mention how influential they've been. We asked our readers to vote in the final four names, which you did, selecting Nuno Bettencourt, Chet Atkins, Malcolm Young and Jake E. Lee.

Some things to take to consider before casting your vote:
• Influence: Who inspired more kids to beg their parents for a guitar for Christmas? Who inspired a wave of copycats?
• Chops/Versatility: Is the guitarist in question a one-trick pony or a master of many styles?
• Body of Work: Who had the more consistent career? Who has played on more classic albums?
• Creativity: Who pioneered new techniques? Who sounds the most radically different from what came before them?
You can check out the full results via our regularly updated bracket here and at the bottom of this story. (Click on the bracket to expand it.)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MYIc6s5ACY&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Testify 8/25/84 - YouTube

After pulling just 50.54 percent of the votes in his first round matchup against the surprisingly social media-savvy Johnny Winter, STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN has claimed big victories over Joe Bonamassa, Eric Clapton and Duane Allman. The Texan will have to pull out all the stops, however, if he wants to shuffle his way past Jimi Hendrix into the Final Four.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Wait, wasn't this already posted? Fvck, I'm tired of all this voting. This is why parliamentary systems suck!

guitar_randy

Reaction score
Why does there need to be a greater than or greatest guitar player?
Music is an art not a competition.

7gtop

Reaction score
STEVIE ..... JIMI ..... :hmm:

....... :hyper: ....... :dunno:

Gin&Pentatonic

Reaction score
This is like having to decide between your two children which one you love more. I love Jimi and Stevie. I think most people do. But Stevie's playing connects with me much better than Jimi's does. Stevie's playing is more focused. Whereas Jimi could be all over the place. Granted, that could be more of a stylistic thing than a technical proficiency thing.

Bluesky

Reaction score
Those that vote for Stevie are Just racist.

:fingersx:

And people say my threads are silly. :hmm:

Zack

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVJWhzOsq6g]Jimi Hendrix Villanova Junction 12 Live @ Rainbow Bridge Maui, Hawaii, USA 1970 - YouTube[/ame]
nuff said

nauc

Reaction score
Hendrix is better than all

/thread

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
SRV for me. It's not so much a "better" thing for me, it's a preference. Both were equally amazing. I like Hendrix and certainly respect what he did for music and I like some of his songs, but I'm a huge texas blues fan and I really admire the likes of SRV, KWS, etc.

RichBrew

Reaction score
When I see a poll thread, I always vote on the first option without reading the others (assuming I can be bothered to open the thread in the first place).

RichBrew

boney bones lee

Reaction score
Isn't it somthing, that even here, in a group of folks who are guitar to the core, that we seem to limited to just a few choices?

cherokee

Reaction score
To me it is apples and oranges......I voted for the one whos music I like the best....and that has nothing to do with skill....both are at the top of each ones specific type of music.

You should also say when they are in top form....both had some REAL bad nights because of the chemicals.

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hendrix - original
Vaughan - go listen to Larry Davis & Albert King...

sonar1

Reaction score
The Greatest Guitarist of All Time

Not them.

Greatest Blues perhaps.

I don't mind a comparison poll, but it shouldn't be titled that, and then have just those two choices.

Yes I know, I'm being some kind of meaning nazi.

Kashmir

Reaction score
I said Hendrix the last time. So I'm changing it to SRV here, just for a proper balance.

mdubya

Reaction score
Hendrix took his influences and transcended them and then disappeared into the ether.

SRV is awesome, but is simply the sum of his influences. And that is no condemnation, so don't take it that way.

Jimi is off the charts.

Just listen to 1983 or Burning of the Midnight Lamp. Or Third Stone From the Sun.

Rocknburn

Reaction score
Lol srv is hendrix wannabe.I love stevie but hendrix is just hendrix!

Latest Threads