Poll: Should Gibson add the Melody Maker to the Original Collection?

Add the Melody Maker to the Original Collection?

• Total voters

endial

Reaction score
They REALLY ought to reissue the 2014 Les Paul Melody Maker for a short run. Fab guitar.

Edit: With real P-90's.

Dilver

Reaction score
I’d rather see a non-tribute doublecut Junior in a proper TV Yellow. But Gibson would never do that just to spite me.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I agree, but I think the original single coils sounded quite good. I'd definitely not add humbuckers! :)

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What body style?...........These have all been Melody Makers.
gnzbndpx0gerwbylxnuj.jpg

gibson-melody-maker-130371-6_4000x@3x.progressive.jpg
Vi67GiSGMMFR006538_2.jpg
kfsobvkwy8o5djgf8fwv.jpg
145752.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted no for precisely the reason posted above ^^
I have a 2007 Reissue Melody Maker and a 2014 Les Paul Melody Maker. I don't really need an Original Collection.

gball

Reaction score
No for me. I think the Juniors are as low as they need to go.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
why not make it a faded finish,sub 600 dollar instrument as it should be?something that plays and sounds good and wont break the bank.
I voted with single coils, they have enough split coil guitars
This.

Gibson's "student" line is Epiphone. There's nothing priced where a high school kid can buy it on fast food money like we did in the 70s that has the Gibson name on it.
Fender has Squier, but they also have the Mexican lineup under $1000 (signature models can go above that).

Junior and Special are still as much as a V, Explorer, SG, or Studio. The Junior and Special are no longer "beginner" guitars.
Gibson has the Tribute line, but something in the Melody Maker line targeted at the student market would put the squeeze on Fender and add some price competition in that $500-$900 price range.
Right now, it's Fender, Epiphone, and two dozen Asian-built brands.
Another big name would be good exposure for Gibson, who needs to remember the law of primacy.... you always revert to your initial training.... and by extension... you always remember your first real guitar fondly.
Would Gibson prefer that Little Johnny think first about Epiphone, or Fender, or Ibanez when he's 35 and getting back into playing, or would they prefer that he think about Gibson?

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This.

Gibson's "student" line is Epiphone. There's nothing priced where a high school kid can buy it on fast food money like we did in the 70s that has the Gibson name on it.
Fender has Squier, but they also have the Mexican lineup under $1000 (signature models can go above that).

Junior and Special are still as much as a V, Explorer, SG, or Studio. The Junior and Special are no longer "beginner" guitars.
Gibson has the Tribute line, but something in the Melody Maker line targeted at the student market would put the squeeze on Fender and add some price competition in that $500-$900 price range.
Right now, it's Fender, Epiphone, and two dozen Asian-built brands.
Another big name would be good exposure for Gibson, who needs to remember the law of primacy.... you always revert to your initial training.... and by extension... you always remember your first real guitar fondly.
Would Gibson prefer that Little Johnny think first about Epiphone, or Fender, or Ibanez when he's 35 and getting back into playing, or would they prefer that he think about Gibson?
I actually think, this is an excellent idea for Gibson. Historically, companies KNEW that you start brand loyalty, young. Gibson, has somewhat forgotten that, for the most part. Sure, they use Artist endorsement, a tried and true method of getting that brand loyalty. But it is also, giving new, young players, an intro, student level QUALITY instrument. Not only do you build brand loyalty, that way, but you also help keep your possible market, aka guitar players, going, if not expand it.

YOu're right, Specials, and Juniors WERE the entry level, Student level, once upon a time. New, not any more. I will say, you can find deals used, that are in that $500-900 range.

But some, including possibly Gibson, will argue that that is what Epiphone is, their Student, entry level line. There is some truth to that argument. Much like Squier does for Fender, Epiphone provides less expensive versions, with a few unique to it's brand, of the MIM or MIA models.

But, Squier, still puts Squier by Fender on that headstock, It's a small thing, but imho, do that, AND make it a quality instrument, and you build some brand loyalty. Perhps go back to Epiphone by Gibson?

But, what also made the old Juniors a 'student' or entry level guitar, was that they were a basic, stripped down, no frills instrument. THAT is what made them affordable. Everything you needed, at a minimum, to play.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
I actually think, this is an excellent idea for Gibson. Historically, companies KNEW that you start brand loyalty, young. Gibson, has somewhat forgotten that, for the most part. Sure, they use Artist endorsement, a tried and true method of getting that brand loyalty. But it is also, giving new, young players, an intro, student level QUALITY instrument. Not only do you build brand loyalty, that way, but you also help keep your possible market, aka guitar players, going, if not expand it.

YOu're right, Specials, and Juniors WERE the entry level, Student level, once upon a time. New, not any more. I will say, you can find deals used, that are in that $500-900 range.

But some, including possibly Gibson, will argue that that is what Epiphone is, their Student, entry level line. There is some truth to that argument. Much like Squier does for Fender, Epiphone provides less expensive versions, with a few unique to it's brand, of the MIM or MIA models.

But, Squier, still puts Squier by Fender on that headstock, It's a small thing, but imho, do that, AND make it a quality instrument, and you build some brand loyalty. Perhps go back to Epiphone by Gibson?

But, what also made the old Juniors a 'student' or entry level guitar, was that they were a basic, stripped down, no frills instrument. THAT is what made them affordable. Everything you needed, at a minimum, to play.
My first electric was a no-name Korean LP copy with a bolt on neck.
My first "REAL" electric was a Fender Strat.

So fast forward through an expanding and shrinking collection, but other than my two G&Ls that I got a stellar deal on through a friend, all were low to mid-level.
2014 I bought an Epiphone SG that I've named "Problem Child"... I'm sure I can fix it if I were to spend the time, I just haven't wanted to.... and after that, I decided "No more cheap guitars."
I'm going to be retiring in a few years and want NICE guitars to play.
So I bought a Taylor acoustic, and a few years later when I had more disposable income, did I buy a Gibson? No... not until 2019.
That first "new group" purchase was a US Strat.... The American Special, which is a couple hundred below the American Standard.

It really does have a nice neck, but my three Gibsons get more time out of their cases.

2017_AmSpec.jpg

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
My first electric guitar was a Teisco Del Rey identical to this.....it was $20 with a black face Fender Vibro-Champ that was advertised from a radio broadcast in Blythe California in 1972. My Dad bought it. The lead singer from a band i was in has it now. Sounded pretty much how it looks.

ylunox27qfuprosryv11.jpg

A Melody Maker is a just a bit better than this.

LocoTex

Reaction score
I voted no for precisely the reason posted above ^^
I have a 2007 Reissue Melody Maker and a 2014 Les Paul Melody Maker. I don't really need an Original Collection.
I have the same two, and I agree.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I decided "No more cheap guitars."
I'm going to be retiring in a few years and want NICE guitars to play.
That's where I am at, though Retirement, albeit looming, is still a decade off. All I had were cheaper guitars, and a parade of them, It was fun buying, trying, selling. But finally decided, to just stick to a group of quality guitars, with an exception or 2. I have a Squier Master Series M80, with TV Jones pups, that is as good as any $1K or better guitar AND I'll never get much for it. I have a Jenson, that I got for nada, just because it looked interesting (3 P90 strat), and the guy made them here. Apparently I got lucky, as what I got was a good guitar, others not so lucky.. Other than that it's my Gibsons, my Fender and my 2 Variax guitars.

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
this 62 and 65 i picked up were husks that i added parts to get them playable which is alot of fun...they both sound great to me, dont like the tick body look of the 65 but the 62 with the Lollar P90 cured my LP Jr GAS for awhile....

maybe they can just stick with a Jr as entry level as buying new you probably would just go for the Jr over the MM

.......so I should change my vote to no maybe not..

the only thing i dont like about the 62 is the body is too thin and that is why i am looking around for a vintage Jr but of course they are in crazy land pricing compared to vintage MMs.....oh well still hunting husks

6265MM.jpg

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
this 62 and 65 i picked up were husks that i added parts to get them playable which is alot of fun...they both sound great to me, dont like the tick body look of the 65 but the 62 with the Lollar P90 cured my LP Jr GAS for awhile....

maybe they can just stick with a Jr as entry level as buying new you probably would just go for the Jr over the MM

.......so I should change my vote to no maybe not..

the only thing i dont like about the 62 is the body is too thin and that is why i am looking around for a vintage Jr but of course they are in crazy land pricing compared to vintage MMs.....oh well still hunting husks

View attachment 535445
Sorry, can n o t resist. Overwhelming urge, bad joke

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggg

So is the one on the left a Dusky Husky?

Latest Threads